C1 maths exam questions help! Watch

jjjoelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1. Find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansions of (2+3x)^52. The line L is parallel to y = -2x+1 and passes thought the point (5,2) Find the coordinates of the points of intersection of L with the axes.3. Find, in the form y = mx + c , the equation of the line passing though A (3,7) and B (5,-1). Show that the midpoint of AB lies on the line x + 2y = 10These questions are from the OCR mei January 2005 paperThank you so much in advance!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jjjoelle)
1. Find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansions of (2+3x)^52.

2. The line L is parallel to y = -2x+1 and passes thought the point (5,2).
Find the coordinates of the points of intersection of L with the axes.

3. Find, in the form y = mx + c , the equation of the line passing though A (3,7) and B (5,-1).
Show that the midpoint of AB lies on the line x + 2y = 10

These questions are from the OCR mei January 2005 paper

Thank you so much in advance!
OK

So now we can see the questions - can you show what you have tried so that we can help
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For the first one, do you know the formula for the binomial expansion?

For the second, you know the gradient and you have a point it goes through, this is enough to get the line.

For the 3rd, you should have a formula for this to find the line.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. binomial expansion
2. Parallel lines have same gradient, y-y1=m(x-x1)
3. Same as above, and sub in points of midpoint to new equation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1. Find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansions of (2+3x)^52. The line L is parallel to y = -2x+1 and passes thought the point (5,2) Find the coordinates of the points of intersection of L with the axes.3. Find, in the form y = mx + c , the equation of the line passing though A (3,7) and B (5,-1). Show that the midpoint of AB lies on the line x + 2y = 10These questions are from the OCR mei January 2005 paperThank you so much in advance!
The binomial expansion formula looks like this below.
It would be helpful if you use the last equation.
You need to put your equation in the form of (1+x)^n[
This would be by taking 2 out as a factor to get 252(1+1.5x)52 and then multiply your expansion by 252 but you will only need to do this for the x3 coefficient
Suky
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Parallel lines have the same gradient remember, so use the equation y=mx+c and the point along with your gradient of -2 to find the new equation. To find the intersection, remember the y-axis has the value x=0 and the x-axis has the value of y=0. This should help!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Suky)
Your post massively overcomplicates a very simple question

There is no need to take out any factor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.98%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.33%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.4%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
13.02%
How can I be the best version of myself? (57)
29.69%

Watched Threads