ianlamb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,
Im thinking about taking up a BSc open degree in Engineering/Technology. I was wondering if there is anyone who has done similar and what they thought of it. Also what do employers think of this qualification? Thanks.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...hways/qd-1.htm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Broadly speaking, employers are generally very positive about OU study because of the self-reliance it demonstrates (and the fact that you can build your CV by working while you study). What would you like to do once you graduate? Is it worth considering a named Engineering degree rather than an Open degree? As I understand it, if you do the BEng then "on graduation you should be eligible to apply (via an appropriate engineering institution) to the Engineering Council for registration as Incorporated Engineer" whereas I'm not sure where you'd stand with that if you did an Open Degree.
ianlamb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am already in employment and my employer is footing the cost. It is just when I mentioned the open degree he pulled his face and said it was not worth as much as a BEng.
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, a degree's worth is often related to what you actually want to do with it. In lots of contexts the subject someone's graduated in doesn't matter at all (e.g. a huge percentage of graduate jobs are for graduates in any discipline), but then in other contexts it will be really significant (e.g. a degree in, say, Law, is really valuable and well-respected generally, but not so useful if you're trying to be, say, an architect. And so on,)

What is it about the Open Degree that attracts you over the BEng? I'm in no way knocking the Open Degree (hell, I'm doing one) but if you actually want to study Engineering I just wonder why you'd prefer to do that than the BEng?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
The OU does a BEng and according to their new prospectus, they also do a MEng (undergraduate degree plus a master's) - if you want to study engineering why would you want to do an Open degree? The OU website should be updated in a month or two with details of new courses and modules, you might want to wait and see the changes before you commit to an Open degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads