Does having a filling/injection hurt? Watch

askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those of you saying you've had fillings done without anesthetic, my question to you is HOW??? :eek:

I'll admit I have a phobia of going to the dentist (not of needles though), and I only go if I know something is wrong, and the pain from the problem is worse than what I imagine the pain from going to the dentist would be.

The last time I went to the dentist was in January 2011, when I had two teeth, a molar and a wisdom tooth, that had virtually rotted completely away, and the pain was unbearable. I went to the dentist, and he said that the wisdom tooth would have to come out, but the molar could be saved with a root canal followed by a filling.

Having heard that root canals, even with anesthetic, are very painful, I asked if he could just take the molar out. He said that although it was against his professional advice, he could and would agree to do that instead, however, the tooth next to it would need a filling to protect it (or something along those lines).

I agreed to that, however, when he 'numbed' me for the filling for the adjacent tooth, he started drilling, and I can tell you that I'd never felt pain like that in my life. It was like he'd applied molten lava to that tooth, and I winced quite sharply, and asked him to stop, telling him the anesthetic hadn't worked. His response was 'Are you sure it's not just the vibration scaring you?'

That did it for me, I had a bit of a go at him (not very dignified, considering how my mouth still felt numb) and asked for the remaining treatment to be handled by a different dentist.

After a course of anti-biotics, the new dentist tried the procedure again, and he fixed everything that needed fixing. All in all, it was a very unpleasant experience, and so far, I've not had any other problems requiring me to visit the dentist again. I know I should get the 6-month checkups, I just can't bring myself to do it, and still will only go if I have a very painful problem.
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
Those of you saying you've had fillings done without anesthetic, my question to you is HOW??? :eek:

I'll admit I have a phobia of going to the dentist (not of needles though), and I only go if I know something is wrong, and the pain from the problem is worse than what I imagine the pain from going to the dentist would be.

The last time I went to the dentist was in January 2011, when I had two teeth, a molar and a wisdom tooth, that had virtually rotted completely away, and the pain was unbearable. I went to the dentist, and he said that the wisdom tooth would have to come out, but the molar could be saved with a root canal followed by a filling.

Having heard that root canals, even with anesthetic, are very painful, I asked if he could just take the molar out. He said that although it was against his professional advice, he could and would agree to do that instead, however, the tooth next to it would need a filling to protect it (or something along those lines).

I agreed to that, however, when he 'numbed' me for the filling for the adjacent tooth, he started drilling, and I can tell you that I'd never felt pain like that in my life. It was like he'd applied molten lava to that tooth, and I winced quite sharply, and asked him to stop, telling him the anesthetic hadn't worked. His response was 'Are you sure it's not just the vibration scaring you?'

That did it for me, I had a bit of a go at him (not very dignified, considering how my mouth still felt numb) and asked for the remaining treatment to be handled by a different dentist.

After a course of anti-biotics, the new dentist tried the procedure again, and he fixed everything that needed fixing. All in all, it was a very unpleasant experience, and so far, I've not had any other problems requiring me to visit the dentist again. I know I should get the 6-month checkups, I just can't bring myself to do it, and still will only go if I have a very painful problem.
I had few fillings without anaesthetic just because the pain wasn't that big

Root canal treatments aren't painful with anaesthetic! I had at least 5 root canal treatments and everything was fine, and I'm very scared of pain though

Worst is when dentist cut my teeth gums without anaesthetic, that hurt a lot! It was even more painful when I had to come back, so that the dentist could replace the strip which pulls out all the pus or whatever it is when you have inflammation and your gums are sore. When she pulled out strip, it was fine but when she started to put a new one in, oh my god that was the worst pain ever, I cried all the time going back home because the pain was massive! I screamed at home out of pain till ibuprofen started to work. And I had to go few times to replace strips :erm:
S.ophiee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a teenager and I’m having an injection in my gum tomorrow due to wholes in my teeth.I am not good with needles and I think I have needle a phobia. By any chance does this injection hurt The dentist did say they would put numbing cream on ?
c0kieZx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm getting 2 fillings in 2 days (they are both opposite sides of my mouth) and I'm terrified of needles and faint at the sight of blood and I have 0 pain tolerance. Am I able to get numbing gel instead of injections? And if not can I be put to sleep by gas or something lol. And if they cant do that can I get a general anaesthetic. I'm TERRIFIED of needles, I actually cant bear them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (11)
18.64%
Labour (29)
49.15%
Liberal Democrats (5)
8.47%
Green Party (5)
8.47%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (3)
5.08%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (1)
1.69%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)