The Student Room Group

What's your hardest higher and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My hardest higher would definitely have to be physics. Because it's the only higher I'm doing this year :lol:
Reply 21
Original post by ah4p
yeah physics is soo hard, had the prelim today :/
:smile:

I had my prelim last week. It was horrible i am dreading the result, guessed half of the multiple choice and made a lot of my answers up :frown: My teacher already hates me, she wi'll detest me after this result.
Reply 22
Original post by caralong
I had my prelim last week. It was horrible i am dreading the result, guessed half of the multiple choice and made a lot of my answers up :frown: My teacher already hates me, she wi'll detest me after this result.

I bet you’ve done better than you think J Anyway there’s no point thinking about it now there’s nothing more you can do so forget about it until you get the result J
she won’t hate you, she’ll want to help x J J J
Reply 23
Hardest-Easiest;

English
Physics
Chemistry
Maths
Biology
Reply 24
Hardest

English
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Spanish

Easiest

Although in terms of workload its a completely different order.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Hardest

Chemistry
Maths
English
History
Music

Easiest

I'm not great at Maths but Chemistry is by far my worst. I'm considering abandoning all hopes of passing it to try and get better grades for my other subjects. Damage limitation, if you like. I had my practical music final exams this week so that's 60% of my final grade sorted already :smile: soooo happy to have that out of the way. My prelims start a week on Monday so I'll see how things go and work from there. I agree with you about the workload. It has dramatically increased for highers. The only thing I don't have to do much for is music, not that I complain :colone:
Reply 26
Original post by ah4p
I bet you’ve done better than you think J Anyway there’s no point thinking about it now there’s nothing more you can do so forget about it until you get the result J
she won’t hate you, she’ll want to help x JJJ

Thank you! I felt like i failed my standard grade physics prelim last year and got a 1 so maybe that will happen again... extreme emphasis on the maybe. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Thank you! I felt like i failed my standard grade physics prelim last year and got a 1 so maybe that will happen again... extreme emphasis on the maybe. :rolleyes:

wow, well done! that always happens to me with physics and also maths, I always feel like I’ve failed then end up doing well

Original post by ah4p
lol that's true, it's soo pointless too :/
is I worse than math and physics though? :smile:

Sorry, but English isn't a "pointless" subject.
Original post by Dylankj96

It isnt a pointless subject altogether, but you must admit the critical essay part is.
English was my easiest subject, loved Higher English (doing Advanced Higher now). I basically put minimal effort into the subject all year and got an A band 1 at the end of it. On the other hand, I found Higher Maths horrendous! So, maths would definitely have been my hardest higher. Oh, and Higher Music was a bit of a piss take as well.
Reply 31

I know it's obviously not pointless, I was exaggerating because out of my five Highers I find it the hardest & find that for me it requires most work to get an A. It also seems least relevant to the career I want to pursue (medicine).Although I do have to admit I can’t think of many uses for being able to write a critical essay or identify and analyse language techniques with such accuracy and in such depth

Original post by Pennyarcade
It isnt a pointless subject altogether, but you must admit the critical essay part is.

Not at all, it teaches writing skills which are anything but pointless - essay structuring, proper grammar and punctuation (since this is the only part of the course, other than the folio, which needs you to implement these increasingly rare abilities), how to build on an argument, how to write in timed conditions and how to think about things critically, hence the term 'critical essay'. It teaches all this but the most important thing is that it allows you to comment on literature and studying good quality literature is never pointless.
Original post by ah4p
I know it's obviously not pointless, I was exaggerating because out of my five Highers I find it the hardest & find that for me it requires most work to get an A. It also seems least relevant to the career I want to pursue (medicine).Although I do have to admit Ican’t think of many uses for being able to write a critical essay or identify and analyse language techniques with such accuracy and in such depth

Just because you find it hard and time-consuming doesn't mean it's pointless though. :smile: Fair enough if it isn't relevant to what you want to do, but you still need your A if you want to go into medicine. Well, can we really think of many practical uses for anything that we learn in school? When will we ever really need to know about integration and differentiation in "real" life? Probably never and this is the same for most subjects. But it's about academia, learning to better ourselves (oh, listen to me being all philosophical :colondollar:). English is a humanities subject, and the humanities are about what it means to be human.
Reply 34
I found English pretty straight forward to be honest. Finding mathematics very hard though!!
Reply 36

English certainly isn't pointless, and being able to write fluently and accurately is an essential skill but you must admit the time constraints during the critical essay part of the exam are arguably unnecessary.
English certainly isn't pointless, and being able to write fluently and accurately is an essential skill but you must admit the time constraints during the critical essay part of the exam are arguably unnecessary.

Yes, I do agree with that. On the plus side, it teaches you to write in time conditions which is a good thing but even I'll admit that the time conditions make it hard for candidates to show their true potential and interpretation of the literature they studied. Personally, I'm guilty of the old pre-prepared essays for that part of the exam. I used two essays that my teacher had wrote and gave to us in the exam and basically got full marks for the essay section. But I wouldn't advise this, I was just luck I guess.
Reply 38
Yes, the time conditions make it hard for candidates to show their true potential and interpretation of the literature they studied.

I completely agree with that. When given two periods to complete an essay i can get 23/25 but in 45 minutes i get 19s.
I completely agree with that. When given two periods to complete an essay i can get 23/25 but in 45 minutes i get 19s.

23 is by no means shabby at this stage! I didn't get 23 and above until my actual exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending