jeaniefirth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've only applied to three - GSA, ECA and RGU Gray's, all for Painting [BA] Hons. Edinburgh's rejected me - and I've started thinking if I'm not good enough for Edinburgh, I'm definitely not good enough for Glasgow, and Robert Gordon is my last choice. I'm really scared. I don't know what else I can do if I don't get in...
Aniaa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
take a gap year.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Painting... like houses and cabinets and stuff?
HelveticaBold
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you on a Foundation? If not I would suggests this if you don't get into Glasgow. Otherwise, many people take a gap year after their Foundation. Just apply again next year. I would also suggests using all 5 choices next time so you have more back up options.
Ivanka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't lose your hopes! My first response from university was a rejection as well, nevertheless, I managed to get into six programmes in the end (I applied to unis in three different countries).
jeaniefirth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by HelveticaBold)
Are you on a Foundation? If not I would suggests this if you don't get into Glasgow. Otherwise, many people take a gap year after their Foundation. Just apply again next year. I would also suggests using all 5 choices next time so you have more back up options.
I'm not on a foundation - I applied straight from school, which was probably stupid of me. But I've got some rough plans in case I don't get in - mainly working in galleries and stuff so if I don't succeed I have something to do. It's just a bit of a kick to receive...
alex_909
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
most unis dont like to have students straight from A levels, its not your fault. Foundation is amazing you will improve in ways u thought u wouldn't....it proves ur dedicated to art
LadyEcliptic
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Indeed, my friend got rejected and he was told to do a foundation degree first.

Don't give up hope yet though
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jeaniefirth)
I've only applied to three - GSA, ECA and RGU Gray's, all for Painting [BA] Hons. Edinburgh's rejected me - and I've started thinking if I'm not good enough for Edinburgh, I'm definitely not good enough for Glasgow, and Robert Gordon is my last choice. I'm really scared. I don't know what else I can do if I don't get in...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Edinburgh a lot more competitive, harder to get into and higher ranked than Glasgow?
HelveticaBold
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dylankj96)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Edinburgh a lot more competitive, harder to get into and higher ranked than Glasgow?
Not for art subjects. For Painting, Edinburgh accept about 24% and Glasgow only 9%.
spinandscribble
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As someone who finished her art degree at eca last year, let me say this and please listen....

There is no rush.

You have just finished school, which means if you had got in you'd be one of the youngest. Art college can be pretty stressful at times. It helps to have more life experience when you go in and have developed self awareness. That comes with age and practice. I wasn't the youngest I was in the middle at 23 and believe me it still took me some time to find my footing and confidence.

Rushing in could also make you one of the youngest graduates. Unless you're proactive and working during Uni to build your cv, job hunting after is gonna be ROUGH. You want a studio to work in after college? You need the monies. Wanna finance that residency but can't get funding? You need the monies. So far the younger ones who I graduated with are finding getting decent jobs difficult. A decent job means less hours for more pay instead of 45/50 hours a week and never seeing that studio you thought you'd get a chance to use.

This is a blessing in disguise if you don't get in this year. Work your ass off at a good foundation, go above and beyond what they tell you to do, make a killer portfolio and you'll get into art college feeling much more confident than right now!
jeaniefirth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Dylankj96)
I've applied to the school of art - sorry I never made that clear - and Glasgow School of Art is both very competitive and held in higher regard [though they're both very good]. It's my first choice, but I'll see how it goes.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not on a foundation - I applied straight from school, which was probably stupid of me. But I've got some rough plans in case I don't get in - mainly working in galleries and stuff so if I don't succeed I have something to do. It's just a bit of a kick to receive...
Your backup should be to do a foundation year. Pretty much all the top unis for art courses want their students to have done one, so you'll be lucky to get on a course without one.
spinandscribble
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not for art subjects. For Painting, Edinburgh accept about 24% and Glasgow only 9%.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.10...0for%20web.pdf

This is for the years 12/13, painting offer rate for eca is 14%

These do vary every year every year and I don't know if this is both the applicants to first and second years combined or not.
jeaniefirth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shelly_x)
Your backup should be to do a foundation year. Pretty much all the top unis for art courses want their students to have done one, so you'll be lucky to get on a course without one.
Unfortunately I left it too late to apply this year - because in Scotland the courses are 4 years long, as well as art courses are becoming a lot more open to people straight from school. But if it fails this time around, then I'll just apply for foundations along with these courses again.
HelveticaBold
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by spinandscribble)
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.10...0for%20web.pdf

This is for the years 12/13, painting offer rate for eca is 14%

These do vary every year every year and I don't know if this is both the applicants to first and second years combined or not.
Thanks for letting me know. When I applied they said it was 24%. However, I got an offer from them (Fine Art) which I really didn't expect so maybe there weren't as many applicants then.
I wish all universities made that information available on their websites. I used to work it out from the number of applicants/places stated at open days
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The admission process has a luck factor so you won't necessarily be rejected by a 'better' school because another school rejected you.
Dylankj96
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah, for Humanities in general Edinburgh is 11th in the world. I guess for painting Glasgow School of Art is more competitive then.
ohdear6
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was in exactly the same position, got a rejection from Edinburgh and GSA it is heartbreaking, I mean I assume you feel the same but my art work is my pride and joy, so to get rejected on it is an awful feeling - I went into a meltdown and just cried for a few days
But it isnt the end of the world, everyone still has time to reapply Plus I've heard that Edinburgh love second time applicants. A friend of mine got rejected from veterinary, but did loads of work experience and volunteering for a year then got in, after everyone saying that she was crazy for applying in the first place! I know they are different courses, but it gives a bit of hope
I have an offer for NUA but think I'm going to a local college to do a foundation year then reapply, if there are any colleges near you that could be an option? Or just plenty of practice and work experience over a year!
But good luck with whatever you want to do, I hope it all goes well!
jeaniefirth
Rep:
?
Thank you for that - it really helped.
I got a second rejection from Glasgow as well, and didn't deal with it so well - but I'm making late applications for some foundation years in England which I really hope will pull through.
I'm not sure I want to do an entire degree right now any more, so I might apply next year again to Glasgow and Edinburgh, but now it feels like my options are a lot broader which I guess is the silver-lining
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (292)
65.62%
No (153)
34.38%

Watched Threads