The Student Room Group

AS Lit B Aspects of Narrative exam

Hi guys! Just wondering if there's anyone who's already done the AQA AS LitB Aspects of Narrative exam and has any tips on how to structure answers for Section A and Section B.

If anyone has exemplar answers they could give me a link to for 'The Great Gatsby', 'Enduring Love', 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Browning poetry then that would be great. Thanks
Original post by fafismilesx
Hi guys! Just wondering if there's anyone who's already done the AQA AS LitB Aspects of Narrative exam and has any tips on how to structure answers for Section A and Section B.

If anyone has exemplar answers they could give me a link to for 'The Great Gatsby', 'Enduring Love', 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Browning poetry then that would be great. Thanks

Hey, I did this last year :smile: I'll just focus on section A, the best structure is probably:

Introduction- address the question and throw in a bit of your knowledge on the text as a whole.

You could speak about:

-Place and setting: here you'd mention how the writer uses places and settings to effectively tell the story, why they chose a particular setting for a particular event. Pathetic fallacy perhaps?

-Imagery: how does the writer tell the story through imagery? What does the imagery symbolise? How does it tailor the story in a particular way? For example how does the Valley of Ashes in The Great Gatsby provide explanations in society. Imagery is very prominent in Rime of the Ancient Mariner and it symbolises a lot, there are many religious references.

-Narration: how does the narrator tell the story? Do they use a particular method? Could they be unreliable, thus could the story be told in a biased or inaccurate way? This could be applied to Nick in The Great Gatsby as some say he may portray chapters in an inaccurate way, i.e. when he's drunk, was his representation warped?

Structure: this is vital for RAM as the structure can often reflect the content of the stanza. When the sea dramatically changes, does the size or shape of the stanza do so? Does this change engage the reader? Has Coleridge done this to allow the reader to embark on the journey with the Mariner? Use terms suck as iambic pentameter and any other devices associated with poetry, state the importance of the ballad structure.

Conclusio: here just briefly conclude all of your points, it doesn't need to be extensive :smile:

You can often apply these methods to the second question in section A but relate them to the feature of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy96
Hey, I did this last year :smile: I'll just focus on section A, the best structure is probably:

Introduction- address the question and throw in a bit of your knowledge on the text as a whole.

You could speak about:

-Place and setting: here you'd mention how the writer uses places and settings to effectively tell the story, why they chose a particular setting for a particular event. Pathetic fallacy perhaps?

-Imagery: how does the writer tell the story through imagery? What does the imagery symbolise? How does it tailor the story in a particular way? For example how does the Valley of Ashes in The Great Gatsby provide explanations in society. Imagery is very prominent in Rime of the Ancient Mariner and it symbolises a lot, there are many religious references.

-Narration: how does the narrator tell the story? Do they use a particular method? Could they be unreliable, thus could the story be told in a biased or inaccurate way? This could be applied to Nick in The Great Gatsby as some say he may portray chapters in an inaccurate way, i.e. when he's drunk, was his representation warped?

Structure: this is vital for RAM as the structure can often reflect the content of the stanza. When the sea dramatically changes, does the size or shape of the stanza do so? Does this change engage the reader? Has Coleridge done this to allow the reader to embark on the journey with the Mariner? Use terms suck as iambic pentameter and any other devices associated with poetry, state the importance of the ballad structure.

Conclusio: here just briefly conclude all of your points, it doesn't need to be extensive :smile:

You can often apply these methods to the second question in section A but relate them to the feature of the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the help! I was finding it quite difficult to structure my answers properly especially for Rime of the Ancient Mariner,but this should definitely help me to improve :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lucy96

You could speak about:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the exam?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest