How difficult is learning German alongside another language?

Watch
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Im 16 and studying Spanish atm. Hoping to get an A* (current attainment is the same) so i am quite good at learning language,

I've suddenly had a real desire to learn German and was just wondering if it was anymore difficult, especially alongside learning Spanish? I don't want to get lower than a an A* so if i should wait until i finish my gcses?

If i was to begin learning, would it be worth to apply for a private gcse german examination? Or just learn german myself? What resources would you recommend?

Sent from my camel using Etihad desertways
Shevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi.

I'm the same age and have been studying German for five years; I will sit my GCSE examination in the summer.

I love German, and although it takes time to get to grips with the grammar, it is incredibly rewarding, as I find speaking any foreign language is. I'm sure you'll find grasping pronunciation is easier than the Spanish you're used to (although that's not to say German pronunciation is easy), but German grammar and word order is, from what I can tell, one of the most complex of any European language.

So, in response to your question, I'd say that becoming fluent in German is more difficult than Spanish (and French for that matter), but they each have their more demanding aspects.

Sorry if I've just waffled on about this, I just thought I'd give you my opinion. From what I can tell from my basic understanding of Spanish/French/Italian, and from what my MFL teacher tells me, German is a harder language to grasp. But, in any event, I'm sure it depends largely on each individual's taste.

T :-)
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Shevo)
Hi.

I'm the same age and have been studying German for five years; I will sit my GCSE examination in the summer.

I love German, and although it takes time to get to grips with the grammar, it is incredibly rewarding, as I find speaking any foreign language is. I'm sure you'll find grasping pronunciation is easier than the Spanish you're used to (although that's not to say German pronunciation is easy), but German grammar and word order is, from what I can tell, one of the most complex of any European language.

So, in response to your question, I'd say that becoming fluent in German is more difficult than Spanish (and French for that matter), but they each have their more demanding aspects.

Sorry if I've just waffled on about this, I just thought I'd give you my opinion. From what I can tell from my basic understanding of Spanish/French/Italian, and from what my MFL teacher tells me, German is a harder language to grasp. But, in any event, I'm sure it depends largely on each individual's taste.

T :-)
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Would it better then to wait till the summer to begin learning it to ensure my spanish grade?
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
Should probably wait until you obtain your GCSE in Spanish. As someone has already said, German is a lot more complicated grammar wise and will take you a lot longer to become proficient in than most other Western European languages.

However if you think you can definitely handle learning 2 languages at the same time then go for it. Just ensure you devote more time to Spanish (I am given to believe Spanish is one of the easier European languages though, but that's purely word of mouth not personal experience) than German.

If you learn German without the GCSE exam (as I am doing), then eventually you can decide to get tested by the Goethe Instit and get an internationally recognised qualification from there .
TheBigJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try learning Mandarin like me, then talk about the difficulty of languages.
German and Spanish are related, shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
German and Spanish probably share the most minuscule relation possible, the only thing off the top of my head that I can think of is that they're both European. One is a Romance language, the other is Germanic...

Yes Mandarin is difficult, but that doesn't make German "easy", each language is going to be easier in one aspect compared to another. E.g. There are no verb conjugations in Mandarin whereas you will find them in all European languages (inc. German) and can be a pain in the arse to learn if they're irregular. Likewise I am -given to believe- pronunciation in Mandarin is difficult, whereas it is relatively easy I've found in German.
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
German and Spanish probably share the most minuscule relation possible, the only thing off the top of my head that I can think of is that they're both European. One is a Romance language, the other is Germanic...

Yes Mandarin is difficult, but that doesn't make German "easy", each language is going to be easier in one aspect compared to another. E.g. There are no verb conjugations in Mandarin whereas you will find them in all European languages (inc. German) and can be a pain in the arse to learn if they're irregular. Likewise I am -given to believe- pronunciation in Mandarin is difficult, whereas it is relatively easy I've found in German.
Technically untrue.
And you really cannot compare Mandarin and German's difficulty.
But my point stands, the web of European language often interlink, so it shouldn't be such a major issue.
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheBigJosh)
Technically untrue.
And you really cannot compare Mandarin and German's difficulty.
But my point stands, the web of European language often interlink, so it shouldn't be such a major issue.
Then maybe you shouldn't have made your comment about language difficulty earlier?
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Then maybe you shouldn't have made your comment about language difficulty earlier?
And maybe you should know more about a subject before you write things as gospel!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As languages go, I don't think that German is particularly difficult. There are some irritating grammatical complications but apart from that, I think it's fine.
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
And maybe you should know more about a subject before you write things as gospel!
How am I the one lacking knowledge when you:

A) Indirectly compare languages by saying Mandarin is difficult
B) Then insist you cannot compare German and Mandarin

You need to decide on a position and stick with it, can't have your cake and eat it.
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Learning two European languages is about the same difficulty of learning Mandarin. Try learning four languages at once and you can talk about difficult. And make two of those languages dead languages with no native speakers. And now make them in three different alphabets. Then you've got the languages I'm learning: Russian, Latin, French, Ancient Greek.
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Copperknickers)
Learning two European languages is about the same difficulty of learning Mandarin. Try learning four languages at once and you can talk about difficult. And make two of those languages dead languages with no native speakers. And now make them in three different alphabets. Then you've got the languages I'm learning: Russian, Latin, French, Ancient Greek.

Sorry I failed to read learn the maths that link with that comment, oh wait it's drivel....
Please don't patronise me either... I am also a multiple language student, and until you take on the challenge of Chinese you cannot even comment on it. For one, it doesn't have an alphabet...
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How am I the one lacking knowledge when you:

A) Indirectly compare languages by saying Mandarin is difficult
B) Then insist you cannot compare German and Mandarin

You need to decide on a position and stick with it, can't have your cake and eat it.
Either the internet did not convey my tone correctly, or you are too stupid to get it.
Of course you can compare them, but it would be ridiculous to. Mandarin is by far more difficult. The point being that the OP is already doing a European language, it will be vastly more difficult adding to it. The difficulty of German is not the issue here, it is the time frame, which I agree it may be better to wait.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
German and Spanish are both Indo-European languages, but then again so are Welsh and Hindi. Being in different language groups mean that similarities are relatively minor.

OP if I was you I'd rather focus on learning Spanish for now, tackling two languages at once can be a bit too much. However Deutsche Welle offer a learning course for German online if you are interested. German makes sense as a language, and you'll notice some similarities with English. However the grammar gets a bit complicated especially at A-Level (mostly due to neglecting the topic at GCSE though).
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)
German and Spanish are both Indo-European languages, but then again so are Welsh and Hindi. Being in different language groups mean that similarities are relatively minor.

OP if I was you I'd rather focus on learning Spanish for now, tackling two languages at once can be a bit too much. However Deutsche Welle offer a learning course for German online if you are interested. German makes sense as a language, and you'll notice some similarities with English. However the grammar gets a bit complicated especially at A-Level (mostly due to neglecting the topic at GCSE though).

But your point towards is highly irrelevant since German and Spanish are well-related.
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry I failed to read learn the maths that link with that comment, oh wait it's drivel.... I am a multiple language student as well.
So I see. You are clearly completely fluent in Incoherent Gibberish, judging by the above sentence. Can I have the English translation?

Please don't patronise me either...
I was just giving you a taste of your own medicine.

until you take on the challenge of Chinese you cannot even comment on it. For one, it doesn't have an alphabet...
You clearly don't know much about ancient Greek if you think Chinese is significantly harder. It has nearly a hundred forms of each verb. It has numerous words that are only ever attested once. Chinese is more alien than Greek, but its a bit of a stretch to say that it is more difficult, at least if you're only learning to read it. Learning Latin and Greek at the same time is easily as difficult as learning Mandarin.
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
Of course you can compare them, but it would be ridiculous to.

Mandarin is by far more difficult.
Completely contradictory statement unless you are quite certain you are being ridiculous, which you are according to your premise.

:rolleyes:
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Completely contradictory statement unless you are quite certain you are being ridiculous, which you are according to your premise.

:rolleyes:

Well done for mastering bold and colouring words, I can read!
Asolare
Report 7 years ago
Well done for mastering bold and colouring words, I can read!
Thank you for not denying you contradicted yourself and thus almost every post you've made in this thread is illogical !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.15%
England (109)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.31%
Germany (38)
11.69%
Spain (6)
1.85%