The Student Room Group

Changing Courses?

Hello :smile:

I was wondering if anybody would have any help or guidance for me.
For the past few months I've been suffering with severe depression and anxiety problems caused by some problems in my past.
I've also been applying for university and have been offered a place to study Classics at Oxford.
However, I'm starting to get incredibly worried as I feel the course is going to be too intense for me to cope with, and after having a look around I think the Classical Archaeology and Ancient History course would suit me better. I've always loved Archaeology but because of the courses Oxford offer I applied for Classics and English and obviously they don't offer CAAH and English.
Furthermore, I think the course would be a bit less stressful as it doesn't include the extra year studying Latin or Greek intensively from scratch, but you can still pick up some modules in the languages if you so wish.

So my question really is, should I try and switch courses?
If so, has anyone ever done it before starting? So in the time period after results and before freshers. Or should i just persevere and not bother?

Original post by futureisbright
Hello :smile:

I was wondering if anybody would have any help or guidance for me.
For the past few months I've been suffering with severe depression and anxiety problems caused by some problems in my past.
I've also been applying for university and have been offered a place to study Classics at Oxford.
However, I'm starting to get incredibly worried as I feel the course is going to be too intense for me to cope with, and after having a look around I think the Classical Archaeology and Ancient History course would suit me better. I've always loved Archaeology but because of the courses Oxford offer I applied for Classics and English and obviously they don't offer CAAH and English.
Furthermore, I think the course would be a bit less stressful as it doesn't include the extra year studying Latin or Greek intensively from scratch, but you can still pick up some modules in the languages if you so wish.

So my question really is, should I try and switch courses?
If so, has anyone ever done it before starting? So in the time period after results and before freshers. Or should i just persevere and not bother?

Whether you decide to switch courses ultimately depends on what your preference is. If you feel that you'd be happier studying CAAH, I'd definitely recommend asking your college. Perhaps email them now and ask if you can be put in touch with current Classics and CAAH students? They might be able to give you a better perspective on what the work will be like. :smile:

I know of people who've switched subjects before starting. Some colleges are happy to transfer without much fuss, others might ask for an interview, and yet others will ask that you re-apply from scratch. I feel that the earlier you get in touch with your college, the better it will be for both parties - they will know that you're considering transferring subjects and might be able to make the necessary arrangements, and you get a heads up on what might be expected of you.

Good luck!
Original post by mishieru07
Whether you decide to switch courses ultimately depends on what your preference is. If you feel that you'd be happier studying CAAH, I'd definitely recommend asking your college. Perhaps email them now and ask if you can be put in touch with current Classics and CAAH students? They might be able to give you a better perspective on what the work will be like. :smile:

I know of people who've switched subjects before starting. Some colleges are happy to transfer without much fuss, others might ask for an interview, and yet others will ask that you re-apply from scratch. I feel that the earlier you get in touch with your college, the better it will be for both parties - they will know that you're considering transferring subjects and might be able to make the necessary arrangements, and you get a heads up on what might be expected of you.

Good luck!

Thank you very much :smile:

I've had a look and on my colleges website (University) they class CAAH under Classics. So I'm hoping it might work that they have a certain number of places for all the "Classics" subjects and that it wouldn't be that difficult. I know the main tutor for CAAH is the same tutor that interviewed me for Classics so in my head it doesn't seem that difficult to switch.

I'm majorly worried that they'll think I'm messing them around though and just retract my offer if I keep making requests :/
Even though I've got reasons to explain everything I've already asked to drop my 4th A-Level and for feedback and I feel like they're going to get sick of me!

I've had a look and on my colleges website (University) they class CAAH under Classics. So I'm hoping it might work that they have a certain number of places for all the "Classics" subjects and that it wouldn't be that difficult. I know the main tutor for CAAH is the same tutor that interviewed me for Classics so in my head it doesn't seem that difficult to switch.

I'm majorly worried that they'll think I'm messing them around though and just retract my offer if I keep making requests :/
Even though I've got reasons to explain everything I've already asked to drop my 4th A-Level and for feedback and I feel like they're going to get sick of me!

Plenty of people ask to swap courses, my tutor was telling me today about someone who changed from english to experimental psychology after the year had started, they won't retract the offer you already have. All you can do is ask and they'll either say it's fine, ask you to do an phone interview or write an essay or say no. You have nothing to lose by asking.
Reply 4

It is so much in their interests that you are happy in your subject. The chap who interviewed you sounds like the ideal person to advise you. He may even have good reasons why you should stay with classics. Email him/her or pick up the phone.
Original post by Pars12
It is so much in their interests that you are happy in your subject. The chap who interviewed you sounds like the ideal person to advise you. He may even have good reasons why you should stay with classics. Email him/her or pick up the phone.

It's a she, and I would but from an advert on the Univ website (which I found from googling her name) it seems she's on sabbatical leave from January 2014 for seven months..
Reply 6
It's a she, and I would but from an advert on the Univ website (which I found from googling her name) it seems she's on sabbatical leave from January 2014 for seven months..

I'm sorry - of course you thought of that straight away. I still think you should talk to the Univ classics people. I am very confident that they will want to solve your problem for you if they can. They will also be able to explain in more detail how the two courses will pan out and perhaps put you in touch with univ classics/archaeology students who have the tea-shirt.
Original post by Pars12
I'm sorry - of course you thought of that straight away. I still think you should talk to the Univ classics people. I am very confident that they will want to solve your problem for you if they can. They will also be able to explain in more detail how the two courses will pan out and perhaps put you in touch with univ classics/archaeology students who have the tea-shirt.

Thanks for your help :smile:
I've sent an email to the college letting them know how I feel and what's going on etc!

Hopefully everything will work out okay!
Just thought I'd keep you updated - I got a reply from the college today saying that they will consider me, and have passed my UCAS form and email containing my medical problems to the Ancient History tutor. Should hear back shortly - but may take a bit longer as the person in charge of admissions is going on holiday for 3 weeks!
Just thought I'd keep you updated - I got a reply from the college today saying that they will consider me, and have passed my UCAS form and email containing my medical problems to the Ancient History tutor. Should hear back shortly - but may take a bit longer as the person in charge of admissions is going on holiday for 3 weeks!
Great news! Thanks for telling us :biggrin:
Hi sorry I know this is from 5 years ago but I'm in the exact same situation (AMH to CAAH) and I was wondering if they let you change?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending