The Student Room Group

Lectures for personal statement?

I'm studying for my AS levels at the moment and hoping to study Biology at Oxford.

I've been to lecture about stem cells and have a few more lined up.

Is there an ideal number of lectures you should go to in order to show 'your commitment to the subject?

In writing you personal statement you will want to show genuine breadth to your interest in the subject. Being able to refer to some lectures attended (and more importantly the follow up reading this inspired) will be helpful but I don't think you need to go more than three. As important are subscribing to a relevant professional journal; getting some relevant work experience and doing some relevant voluntary work - de rigeur in medicine for several years but a great way of standing out from the crowd in other subjects too.
Reply 2
Original post by xigo11
I'm studying for my AS levels at the moment and hoping to study Biology at Oxford.

I've been to lecture about stem cells and have a few more lined up.

Is there an ideal number of lectures you should go to in order to show 'your commitment to the subject?

That should suffice, just make sure you have something constructive to say about the lectures
Reply 3
You need to talk about what you gained from the lectures, and how this is relevant to your application. What did you learn that made you sure this is the right subject? How has this helped you to want to study further?

You don't want to talk about hundreds of lectures and just list what you went to, as that adds nothing to your application. Therefore, attending just one lecture could be sufficient as you can talk about it well. Go to more because you want to, and not just to impress the admissions tutors.
Reply 4
Really you dont NEED to attend lectures

But just attend 1, maybe 2. Quality not quantity. Your seriously not going to write about 3/4 lectures you been too as details will begin to diminish as a result of trying to cram in the basic outlines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending