UK Gov using Scots independence to avoid other issues? Watch

Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The Better Together campaign is winning, the government have said a few things in recent days that has angered the nationalists. Why? They knew it would cause a storm.

Does anyone else think the UK government is using this Scottish independence as a diversion away from issues that seemed so much more important to us only a few months ago. The biggest issues were, lets face it, immigration, the EU, the rise of UKIP and a not so promising economy.

We all know Scotland will not vote for independence, only the delusional minority, a very very small minority in terms of the population of the UK, think they have a chance.

I'm not surprised at recent events, spending half of last year and this year so far in Scotland I know from personal experience the nats brainwashed themselves, like gently flowing down a river to the inevitable waterfall we could all see, it's all one big waste of time and money.

I can't help but think it's similar to how Spain bring up the issue of Gibraltar, or Argentina the Falklands. They don't really care about these issues, they just know the population under their control dislike them...a lot, it's a way of bringing the people together under a common cause.

This is just my opinion and I wondered if anyone else shared this opinion. Now I know the cybernats on here will disagree, but I think the UK tactic of revealing the racism in the Nats is a bad move, we know they hate us, I've witnessed it personally in the 'real world', but surely angering them like this will have negative consequences after the vote in September.

So my opinion is:

1. The three main UK parties are exploiting this issue to take some weight off their shoulders, to avoid dedicating as much time to issues they would rather ignore.

2. The consequences of this tactic is only winding up the Nats when they're best ignored, we might see rioting (we will anyway but worse) after the Scots vote to stay in the UK.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting, if not an erratic opinion.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Creat0r)
I can't help but think it's similar to how Spain bring up the issue of Gibraltar, or Argentina the Falklands. They don't really care about these issues, they just know the population under their control dislike them...a lot, it's a way of bringing the people together under a common cause.
Not really, we 'own' Scotland whereas Argentina and Spain don't own the Falklands and Gibraltar. Moreover, Gibraltar and the Falklands are autonomous and semi-independent.

If the British government were the only people who desired a referendum on independence then they wouldn't have pushed it through, it was only to settle a debate for good. I wouldn't even say they've used the campaign as a cover at all and it's a very poor cover considering it's going to be over in six months.

Also the British government doesn't 'control' Scottish people any more than it controls English people, or Welsh, or Northern Irish.
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whatever Salmond says can be rebutted with truths that make him look stupid, so of course he and his supporters are going to get angry when that happens. With the media continuing to give Salmond and his petulant ravings airtime, other politicians are almost forced to respond, hence making him look stupid.
CiaNewsNetwork
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hopple you wouldn't happen to be English by any chance? I can't believe so many English are up in arms over the idea that Scotland might be independent. Still have that British imperialist mentality. It's up to Scottish people and and Scottish people only.
Creat0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by CiaNewsNetwork)
Hopple you wouldn't happen to be English by any chance? I can't believe so many English are up in arms over the idea that Scotland might be independent. Still have that British imperialist mentality. It's up to Scottish people and and Scottish people only.
What are you talking about? Most English don't care what happens, surely if you went to England you would know this.

What do you think of the Scots that don't want independence, do you hate them?
mikele
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CiaNewsNetwork)
How inane, if not slightly xenophobic. I would love to agree with the original point that England is using Scotland as a smokescreen to avoid real, important political issues (much like the government does on mundane issues such as Benefits scandals and even immigration), but the truth is it is Scotland acting as the argumentative player at the moment. The British government as well as certain members of the EU aren't deliberately trying to provoke Scotland as that would make no sense and would harm the Better Together campaign (angry Scottish people = more likely to vote independent). By simply expressing the fact that Scotland would find it difficult to enter to EU upon independence and discussing the nature of monetary policy in rUk / Scotland, I don't think this counts as trying to use Scotland to avoid other issues
ElinorH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always sigh a bit whenever I read things like this. I will most certainly vote against independence. However, that decision has not come from a simple dismissal of all arguments pro-independence,. I'm English and I've lived in Scotland since I was 15. I've never had any anti-English racism. I genuinely don't believe independence supporters want it because of any anti-English sentiment. What would you say to my mother, an intelligent woman, who did have some snippy 'English' comments with some colleagues once, who has a thick Northern England accent, calls herself 'English', still does that thing where she refers to the UK as 'England' and...guess what...has openly said she will vote for independence when the time comes. How do you explain her opinions, if the situation is not a bit more complicated than 'racist nationalists vs. the rest of us'? Unlike a lot of people freely commenting on this issue, I actually know people with both pro- and anti-independence opinions and, sorry to break this to you, the pro-party are not all raving idiots without any decent ideas at all.
ElinorH
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To add something else, the most 'anti-anything' sentiments I've heard around this issue have come from my wider family down South, who I've heard say some dreadful things about the Scots. And if I hear 'I hope they go because we pay for all their free education/medicine, let's see how they fare on their own' one more time, or hear any more nasty jibes about Scottish life expectancy, I swear I'll think again about my vote!!!
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ElinorH)
To add something else, the most 'anti-anything' sentiments I've heard around this issue have come from my wider family down South, who I've heard say some dreadful things about the Scots. And if I hear 'I hope they go because we pay for all their free education/medicine, let's see how they fare on their own' one more time, or hear any more nasty jibes about Scottish life expectancy, I swear I'll think again about my vote!!!
Have you pointed out the dicotamy of their arguement, its the lower life expectancy that pays for the free education/medicine. Far lower pension bill in Scotland.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Scottish referendum is undoubtedly one of the major turning points in the history of this country. I'm sure if the 'no' vote wins the day then it'll all be passed into the sands of time, albeit analysed to death by political anoraks. If there was a 'yes' vote, on the other hand, it would tear apart the country, might well bring down the Prime Minister (would certainly be the main thing his tenure was remembered for) and cause all sorts of problems for both emergent countries.

So I'm afraid I don't feel its getting too much attention. If anything, it's not getting enough at UK level, where it's being dismissed as a foregone conclusion. Nothing, however, is that easy.

More importantly, the 'no' side cannot be playing simply to win. They must realistically get a very solid number in support in order to take this issue off the agenda. If the vote was 51% no, it would create more issues than it solved. I think two-to-one support is a good bar to aim for - and that's even less certain.

Complacency is our biggest enemy here.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Have you pointed out the dicotamy of their arguement, its the lower life expectancy that pays for the free education/medicine. Far lower pension bill in Scotland.
Unfortunately Scotland's pension bill situation isn't better because we're also failing to either (1) breed sufficiently or (2) attract youthful immigrants.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Unfortunately Scotland's pension bill situation isn't better because we're also failing to either (1) breed sufficiently or (2) attract youthful immigrants.
In the future.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (272)
53.97%
18-20 years old (no) (67)
13.29%
20-25 years old (yes) (85)
16.87%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.79%
25-30 years old (yes) (26)
5.16%