The Student Room Group

Triple or Double???

My teacher says if I would like to do A level Sciences-she said I need to take Triple Science, as "apparently" it help, but does help and do I have to take it to become a dentist?
I rather have AA or AB in double science
Then have AAC or AAB
IM SO CONFUSED
Most Uni does not specify this that much, but will it help?
Please answer all my questions!
Triple science helps a bit for a levels since you've covered more topics, but I'm currently doing double (I'm in year 11) and I'm planning to do dentistry in the future too. As long as you do the a levels required (e.g. Chemistry and Biology), it doesn't matter if you did double or triple science for gcse (as long as it's not a single scince) :smile: xxx
Speaking as someone doing all three sciences at A2 right now, I am still kicking myself for not doing triple. It's not a major problem for me as I can just do my background research on the stuff, but there are times we encounter things that were done in triple that I have absolutely no knowledge of.

Some colleges will only take on people who have done triples too.
Original post by zimzim40
My teacher says if I would like to do A level Sciences-she said I need to take Triple Science, as "apparently" it help, but does help and do I have to take it to become a dentist?
Then have AAC or AAB
IM SO CONFUSED

Your teacher is right it does help (based on experience) it is not a necessity.
In addition to this, choose whether you'd get good grades in trippe or not.
Also universities are more concerned with A levels than GCSEs (bar Oxbridge)
Hope that helped :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I would suggest Triple, only because some things do overlap in the 3 Sciences, such as Radioactivity in Physics and the uses in Medical professions and the atom structure concerning periodic tables. Physics, for me, seems to be the easiest Science also, but you could easily take all 3 at GCSE level then when coming to A Levels just take Chemistry and Biology. :smile: (I'm in Year 10 and have had all 3 since year 7) xxx
i would say triple science. i do triple and don't want a science related career/ to do science a levels, but i have heard that triple puts you in a slightly better position, i wouldn't say that units would take much notice, it would just be for you personally that it may make it slightly easier, also if you do all three, (this is the case in my school, not sure about yours) the extra science topics we do are by far the best :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by zimzim40
Then have AAC or AAB
IM SO CONFUSED

I did AS Biology, Chemistry and Physics last year and found that by the end of the year all three classes were entirely made up of triple scientists (all double scientists had dropped out after Jan exams). Based on this I think your teacher's probably right, especially for Chemistry and Physics.

Also, if you want to do dentistry having three science GCSEs will probably look a lot better than two. If you don't think you can get three As in triple science then you might need to think about whether you can get AAA at A level to meet a dentistry offer.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Hello zimzim40,

Because I do not wish to be a dentist when I am older, I am not exactly sure which Sciences you need for a place in a University but I would advise that you take Triple Science.

You have already said that you would rather get better grades if you take Double Science than get slightly worse grades when you take Triple Science but this is not the case.

In fact, from what I have heard, Universities usually favor students that have taken Triple Science regardless of what course they wish to study. This is because, even if you do get a B or a C in one, it is better because it shows that you are keen in Sciences even when you do not need it specifically for your job. Also, it can only benefit you since a B or C grade is still a pass and may be something extra to put on your CV in the future.

I would say, even though I have no idea which subjects you need to study at GCSE level to become a dentist, to take Triple Science. You may be thinking that it is extra work for something I don't really need, but it may just be the difference between you getting accepted into your dream University.

Think about it, and I wish you all the best,
- mossysilver
Do triple.

I self taught triple over double.

Triple isn't too bad anyway, should be able to get at least A*AA if you just remember textbook facts.
Definitely triple :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest