The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Do you meet the entry requirements? Not all courses accept lower grades, so you need to aim for somewhere that might accept you. Similarly, if the course requires a foundation course they're unlikely to let you in without.

You'll need a really strong portfolio. You might struggle with this if you do only science A Levels, as you won't produce anything useable from your lessons. You also don't have a teacher to guide you.

It's not a definite no, but is risky and you need to plan carefully.
Can you not apply to the same uni, like phone them up to change you to the course? I did so. Even though it was from English to Classics... They still accepted it my request to change... I have no knowledge of classical civilization, archeology, history or ancient history or even an A-level in a language... So it might be possible. My PS was about English Lit and a lot about Language and Child Acquisition. Although I do study Philosophy at A-level. But you never know!
Original post by Blueshinewolf
I'm wondering if I could apply to do graphic design through clearing (and get in), even though I have science and language A Levels, and a personal statement geared toward zoology? I'd have a bunch of stuff (e.g. voluntary work, work experience, personal projects, etc.) to say in attempt to convince them >_> Would it work, or should I just give up on the idea? :/

Usually, it's possible to switch courses via clearing.

However, for courses like graphic design, universities will often want to see some evidence of a portfolio to show you have the ability and range of skills needed to cope with the course. This can make it harder to get in via clearing, especially if you've not had any formal art/graphics teaching for at least the past few years.

Have you considered looking at art foundation courses? These are designed to help people get their portfolios up to scratch and build up skills that are useful for art related degrees. I think, given your background this might be the best route for you to get into a good course for graphic design, and it would help you work out if you enjoy studying the subject full time, or you'd prefer to keep it as a sideline/hobby.

You could contact a few admissions departments now, and see if they would consider you for a graphics course via clearing with your current qualifications. At least then you will know where you stand.
Original post by Daniella1999
I've tried to switch courses through Extra from marketing to Graphics. I've taken Graphic's as an alevel and media. Art at Gcse too and I'm predicted to get an A in graphics. I'm trying to do the same as you,I applied to Manchester Met and Nottingham trent but was unsuccessful for both of them. Most art type courses prefer you to do a foundation year, I think when you apply through clearing, you can enter a new personal statement (What I plan to do anyway as mines for marketing). If you do change your mind, prepare to have to do an art foundation but definitely change it if you're certain you would rather do it than Zoology) 😊

The OP was applying in 2014 - they've probably graduated by now :smile:

You can't add a new PS on UCAS for clearing but it's a good idea to draft one (even just bullet points) to help you speak fluently about your reasons for changing your mind over the phone (and to provide if they request it).

For GD though it's mainly about your portfolio - and for clearing that means your online portfolio. Make sure you've got your work and sketchbooks all available electronically and a site that you find easy to use to produce various portfolios for different universities (some will ask for a "mini" portfolio, others will specify the number of works involved or the variety of works required etc).
Original post by PQ
The OP was applying in 2014 - they've probably graduated by now :smile:

You can't add a new PS on UCAS for clearing but it's a good idea to draft one (even just bullet points) to help you speak fluently about your reasons for changing your mind over the phone (and to provide if they request it).

For GD though it's mainly about your portfolio - and for clearing that means your online portfolio. Make sure you've got your work and sketchbooks all available electronically and a site that you find easy to use to produce various portfolios for different universities (some will ask for a "mini" portfolio, others will specify the number of works involved or the variety of works required etc).

I just saw the date and tried to delete 😂 Oh, I thought you could. I wish I'd applied for it in the first place as I feel like I've disadvantaged myself now. I might write one in case and send it directly to the university if they enquire about one.
Reply 6
Original post by Daniella1999
I just saw the date and tried to delete 😂 Oh, I thought you could. I wish I'd applied for it in the first place as I feel like I've disadvantaged myself now. I might write one in case and send it directly to the university if they enquire about one.

In Clearing, you talk to unis over the phone (or sometimes face to face when visiting) so you are the personal statement! So you need to show your enthusiasm and qualifications. If you have a draft of a personal statement in front of you, it can help you focus whilst talking. But a really well written personal statement that you send by email won't make up for a bad impression over the phone.

Latest

Trending

Trending