The Student Room Group

I'm dyslexic. Will get the test report soon. What are the next steps...DSA

Hi,

I was recently tested for dyslexia, and I am told that I am dyslexic, after being tested.

I have had learning difficulties in the past.

So, what are the next steps. I applied for DSA a year ago, and was rejected due to the evidence I had at the time was not strong enough. At the time, my reports were outdated by 5-6 years.

Now that I will get a more recent report, what will I be entitled to? A friend of mine, who is also dyslexic told me that you can get a free MacBook Pro. Is this true?

Also, can travelling costs, such as the train fares be paid by DSA?

Also, do I get any additional money? Like a maintenance grant?

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this whole DSA to me.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no you dont get any money, just support to put you up to the level of non dyslexic

you will get taxi fares(minus bus fares), but you will need to pay first then provide reciepts(also you must hve a reason, ie bus anxiety)

imo the dyslexia test is pretty easy to fake, even with a psychologist doing it, just need to do your research...
Reply 2
Original post by rickfloss
no you dont get any money, just support to put you up to the level of non dyslexic

you will get taxi fares(minus bus fares), but you will need to pay first then provide reciepts(also you must hve a reason, ie bus anxiety)

imo the dyslexia test is pretty easy to fake, even with a psychologist doing it, just need to do your research...

I didn't fake the dyslexia test. Like I have said, I did suffer from learning difficulties from a young age.

I am not proud of my disability. I never asked for it.

Anyways, what can I get with DSA? Can I get a MacBook for example, as I don't have a laptop?
Reply 3
Original post by studymanhard
Hi,

I was recently tested for dyslexia, and I am told that I am dyslexic, after being tested.

I have had learning difficulties in the past.

So, what are the next steps. I applied for DSA a year ago, and was rejected due to the evidence I had at the time was not strong enough. At the time, my reports were outdated by 5-6 years.

Now that I will get a more recent report, what will I be entitled to? A friend of mine, who is also dyslexic told me that you can get a free MacBook Pro. Is this true?

Also, can travelling costs, such as the train fares be paid by DSA?

Also, do I get any additional money? Like a maintenance grant?

Would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain this whole DSA to me.

Thanks

You never get any money from DSA.
The assessor will decide whats appropriate for you- but for dyslexia its likely to be their standard recommended laptop (not a mac book) and any aids that might make reading easier e.g. coloured paper

Travel fares would only be paid if you had trouble getting to university.
Reply 4
Moved to Disabled Students.

You'd only get a Macbook Pro if your course requires one and I'm sure there's something about how you can only get one if you've never used a PC or something.

You'd only get help with travel if for example, you struggle with public transport.
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
You never get any money from DSA.
The assessor will decide whats appropriate for you- but for dyslexia its likely to be their standard recommended laptop (not a mac book) and any aids that might make reading easier e.g. coloured paper

Travel fares would only be paid if you had trouble getting to university.

Oh.

What is their standard laptop? I thought I was allowed to choose my own?
Reply 6
Original post by OU Student
Moved to Disabled Students.

You'd only get a Macbook Pro if your course requires one and I'm sure there's something about how you can only get one if you've never used a PC or something.

You'd only get help with travel if for example, you struggle with public transport.

Hi OU Student,

My course is a more 'technical' course and actually requires a laptop.

Couldn't I get a good laptop like Sony or Dell from them, or even a tablet?
Reply 7
Oh.

What is their standard laptop? I thought I was allowed to choose my own?

sorry i meant from the suppliers. I've not actually claimed DSA so I don't know what the choice is
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
sorry i meant from the suppliers. I've not actually claimed DSA so I don't know what the choice is

Oh ok.

By the way, do you know if I can claim other benefits other than DSA?
Reply 9
Oh ok.

again sorry im not the best person to ask
Oh ok.

What do you mean other benefits? Like disabled living allowance? Obviously not.

You can pay additional money to get a better laptop, you'll get more information on this once your DSA has been approved. You may get a dictaphone so you can record lectures etc. but unless your dyslexia affects other areas of your life you won't get additional support for transport costs.
Reply 11
Original post by x__justmyluck
What do you mean other benefits? Like disabled living allowance? Obviously not.

You can pay additional money to get a better laptop, you'll get more information on this once your DSA has been approved. You may get a dictaphone so you can record lectures etc. but unless your dyslexia affects other areas of your life you won't get additional support for transport costs.

Ok.

A good laptop is all I need. That is my priority
They have a standard spec laptop that they provide.
I doubt you'd get a tablet. I know when I applied in 2009, there was the issue of (and maybe still is) about the software used on tablets; as the operating systems aren't the same as on laptops.

You can't choose your own laptop. There are standard laptops that DSA suppliers issue.
Reply 14
Original post by OU Student
I doubt you'd get a tablet. I know when I applied in 2009, there was the issue of (and maybe still is) about the software used on tablets; as the operating systems aren't the same as on laptops.

You can't choose your own laptop. There are standard laptops that DSA suppliers issue.

Do you know where I can find the list of laptops they provide?

I know a lot about laptops and the parts inside :wink:
Do you know where I can find the list of laptops they provide?

I know a lot about laptops and the parts inside :wink:

Why are you only interested in the laptop? Aren't you more concerned about things like extra time in assessments? :confused:
Reply 16
Original post by desdemonata
Why are you only interested in the laptop? Aren't you more concerned about things like extra time in assessments? :confused:

Yeah I am concerned about that as well.

But, the laptop is needed as most of my module have coursework elements
Yeah I am concerned about that as well.

But, the laptop is needed as most of my module have coursework elements

And why do you need to get one through DSA?
Hi OU Student,

My course is a more 'technical' course and actually requires a laptop.

Couldn't I get a good laptop like Sony or Dell from them, or even a tablet?

-'technical' course and actually requires a laptop
-requires a laptop
-asks for tablet

wat
No offence, but why should you get more money just because you're dyslexic? I sort of get the whole laptop thing, but that's like me saying I should get more money because I'm a really Welsh person in a really English place and therefore I am subject to a lot of taunts/comments due to my accent.

Quick Reply