AS Latin Literature - Ovid Amores Notes Watch

Alex Wonderkid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,
I'm currently ploughing my way through the AS Latin course on my own, and am struggling a bit with Ovid's Amores III (poems 2,4,5 and 14).

I would really appreciate it if anyone had any notes on style on these poems and if you could send them to me, as I'm really finding it difficult to do this on my own!

Many thanks,
Alex
kate_maria
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey Im doing Latin AS and ovid and cicero too. There is a book which contains the ovid amores poems and notes on the style of the poems. Just type it into amazon. If you need any more help let me know.
NikolaT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also in the Latin AS boat.

This is the book Kate was referring to - click. It's serving my set well thus far. Good commentary on each poem. It doesn't have the translation though - I believe the point is that you translate it yourself, which you'll be doing anyway on your own. I have to confess, most of the style notes we've got are based on literary techniques we covered in GCSE Latin e.g. emphatic position. So if you re-implement those tools you'll be off to a good start on the style side of things. If you've taken AS with no prior Latin experience, then firstly, good on you, secondly, maybe look through the GCSE threads from the past few years/look up GCSE notes for literature.

Maybe we should create a general AS Latin thread.
SophieGloria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Glad I'm not the only one self-teaching AS Latin! I think we might be crazy...
kate_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey yeah maybe we should set up an AS latin thread. I get the translations from my teachers. As I am the only one out of my whole school doing AS Latin I could do with some help now and again. I really struggle with the language. Are you all doing OCR?
NikolaT
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep - it's the only exam board offering any of the Classics at A-level, I believe.
JenniB22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If anybody needs any Latin help, feel free to reply to this or message me, I just finished my Classics degree (Oxford) and like to encourage Classics at school and beyond!!
kate_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes struggling with the language side always get mixed up with the order of a sentence.
NikolaT
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JenniB22)
If anybody needs any Latin help, feel free to reply to this or message me, I just finished my Classics degree (Oxford) and like to encourage Classics at school and beyond!!
Ha, we must be like children to you. (Well, we are, but you know what I mean...)

Thanks for the offer.
memoona123456
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What you think the literature questions will be this year?
kate_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure I hope there decent questions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
memoona123456
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kate_maria)
Not sure I hope there decent questions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know for the language paper, are you going to do the Cicero translation or the English to Latin sentences?
kate_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry ive taken so long to reply im doing the cicero translation since my teachers havent taught me the sentences where you translate them into latín. What about you? What grade you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
memoona123456
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kate_maria)
Sorry ive taken so long to reply im doing the cicero translation since my teachers havent taught me the sentences where you translate them into latín. What about you? What grade you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No don't worry! Ah i see, we've done practice for both questions but i feel more confident on the sentece translation so i think ill go for that. I;m hoping for an A- it's probably my hardest subject tbh
kate_maria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, im not very good at the language but i really like the literature. Its trying to remember all the translations of the passages. It is a very difficult subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.69%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.29%
No I am happy with my course choice (358)
56.38%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed