dr-jimmy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey all, I have a couple of interviews at Sheffield and Leeds next week for Physics. I haven't had any interviews before and I don't know anyone who's been to a Physics interview so i have no idea what to expect or how to prepare myself. Does anyone have any advice for how I should be answering questions? If you've been to an interview I'd really appreciate you telling me what they asked and how it went. Thanks!
dr-jimmy
Rep:
?
ALSO, what sort of clothing are you expected to wear? I was going to go with a dress and maybe a smart blazer? It's not possible to be too formal, is it?
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dress and blazer sounds sensible. I wore a suit for my physics interview, because I'm much older than the average prospective candidate and it seemed more appropriate for someone my age. The younger applicants were mostly smartly dressed, though there were a few in jeans. At my interview they asked a few physics and maths questions and a couple of questions about my personal statement. The interview lasted about half an hour. Good luck for next week.
dr-jimmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schadenfreude65)
Dress and blazer sounds sensible. I wore a suit for my physics interview, because I'm much older than the average prospective candidate and it seemed more appropriate for someone my age. The younger applicants were mostly smartly dressed, though there were a few in jeans. At my interview they asked a few physics and maths questions and a couple of questions about my personal statement. The interview lasted about half an hour. Good luck for next week.
Great, thanks very much. Were the Physics and Maths questions the sort which would be beyond the A-level syllabus, that we are supposed to apply knowledge to, or something we are expected to already know?
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dr-jimmy)
Great, thanks very much. Were the Physics and Maths questions the sort which would be beyond the A-level syllabus, that we are supposed to apply knowledge to, or something we are expected to already know?
I would say practice graph sketching of complex trig functions e.g. sin(1/x), and also practice the maths you use in physics, such as mechanics.

Also, prepare to be questioned on your personal statement
dr-jimmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mike_123)
I would say practice graph sketching of complex trig functions e.g. sin(1/x), and also practice the maths you use in physics, such as mechanics.

Also, prepare to be questioned on your personal statement
Ooh okay that's really useful, thanks.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dr-jimmy)
Ooh okay that's really useful, thanks.
Np. For the graphs, take your time in considering many characteristics of graphs. So I would go through:

intercepts
asymptotes/domain/range
stationary points
behaviour of stationary points
even/odd function
behaviour when x tends to +- infinity
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We had to sketch graphs too. All of the questions were A-level standard. They also covered differentiation and mechanics.
dr-jimmy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mike_123)
Np. For the graphs, take your time in considering many characteristics of graphs. So I would go through:

intercepts
asymptotes/domain/range
stationary points
behaviour of stationary points
even/odd function
behaviour when x tends to +- infinity
(Original post by Schadenfreude65)
We had to sketch graphs too. All of the questions were A-level standard. They also covered differentiation and mechanics.
Haha okay, I'll definitely be practicing graphs today. Thanks so much you two, I really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads