The Student Room Group

Is Uni significantly harder than college?

I'm currently studying an access course with an online distance learning college and I have to do all the work myself, I'm not spoon fed the answers or given easier explanations of the questions. I've probably done 95% of the work all by my self without having to ask for my tutor's help and so far I have received one merit the rest are distinctions so I'm doing pretty well with minimal help, will Uni be the same or even harder?

I'm really worried about the work being really hard at Uni even though I'm doing really well at my access course all by myself.
Original post by porcelainwhite
I'm currently studying an access course with an online distance learning college and I have to do all the work myself, I'm not spoon fed the answers or given easier explanations of the questions. I've probably done 95% of the work all by my self without having to ask for my tutor's help and so far I have received one merit the rest are distinctions so I'm doing pretty well with minimal help, will Uni be the same or even harder?

I'm really worried about the work being really hard at Uni even though I'm doing really well at my access course all by myself.

It really depends on your subject. If you are used to self study, this aspect of uni won't be as hard as for other students who are used to being spoon fed. However, you can probably expect either the course content to be harder or the quantity may be harder than what your current college work, especially in later years, but every year is a step up and you learn to adjust :smile:
I did an Access Course too last year, and am now at Uni having started in September.
Like the previous person said, it depends on your course. I'm doing Psychology now after doing a variety of subjects on my AccCourse (Chemistry, Biology, Psychology etc) The Psychology for example was pretty basic compared to what I'm doing now. I think if you've got that many Distinctions you'll be fine at Uni honestly. A lot of the work is sometimes contrived to appear more complex than it actually is. Access Courses I would say prepare you better than A-Levels, having done both.
Reply 3
Depends on what you studied at College of Sixth Form and what you intend to study at university.

In my experience it wasn't significantly harder. I found the gap from GCSE to A-Level harder in all honesty.
Not for me.
Reply 5
Another big issue is the culture change. You generally have 3/4 types of people:

The religious/socially retarded/generally very dull people (Group A):

Group A stick to themselves, get the work done and will generally be the ones pushing for the first. Having said that they will only leave university with other very dull friends

The "cool kids": better known as the kids who had next to no freedom at home and as a consequence go ape **** wild at any opportunity. (Group b):

Many of group Bs occupants were in fact group A children at school due to the fact their parents held them back. All of a sudden they have some freedoms and don't know how to handle them. These will be the kids that are constantly in your face and everyone's letting you and anyone else within the blast radius of a nuclear bomb, aware of their weekend or their latest booze fuelled interference with a member of the opposite sexes clothing. These people tend to far underachieve at university.

Type c are the kids who really just aren't too bothered and had freedom when they were younger. Generally they've done fine at school and just aren't too interested in university as they've been in front of books for the last 14 years of their life and now have 3 more to do. Classic 2:1 student who goes out every now and then but has an eye on their studies.

Then we have type D: The juggler. The juggler is a rare species who tries to appeal to everyone. They will go to lectures whilst claiming they have done nothing. They will go out and get smashed and sit with the boring people in lectures, they will get a first and tell everyone they did no work. If you can work a juggler, you can not turn up to Uni and do well. Network with this person because generally they are exceptionally intelligent and will give you all their notes/fill you in on exam guidance whilst in the pub.

There's one more type. Type E. The Morphers. These are like type a but were held back by social constraints at school rather than parents who would have wanted them to be popular. Generally you can be unpopular at school for something that happened when young and you've been pigeonholed a loser ever since. All of a sudden these people are popular. These are the people most likely to fail at Uni. All of a sudden people want to talk to them... All of a sudden they don't care about work.

So OP it all depends. Who are you?
This question seems to get asked a lot. It would help if you'd tell us what you're planning to study, and where.
Reply 7
It depends on where you go. If you go to a university near the top of the table (Oxbridge, etc.) then yes it is significantly harder. If you're going somewhere middling, it's about the same, and near the bottom, significantly easier.
Original post by Huskaris
Another big issue is the culture change. You generally have 3/4 types of people:

Group A stick to themselves, get the work done and will generally be the ones pushing for the first. Having said that they will only leave university with other very dull friends

The "cool kids": better known as the kids who had next to no freedom at home and as a consequence go ape **** wild at any opportunity. (Group b):

Many of group Bs occupants were in fact group A children at school due to the fact their parents held them back. All of a sudden they have some freedoms and don't know how to handle them. These will be the kids that are constantly in your face and everyone's letting you and anyone else within the blast radius of a nuclear bomb, aware of their weekend or their latest booze fuelled interference with a member of the opposite sexes clothing. These people tend to far underachieve at university.

Type c are the kids who really just aren't too bothered and had freedom when they were younger. Generally they've done fine at school and just aren't too interested in university as they've been in front of books for the last 14 years of their life and now have 3 more to do. Classic 2:1 student who goes out every now and then but has an eye on their studies.

Then we have type D: The juggler. The juggler is a rare species who tries to appeal to everyone. They will go to lectures whilst claiming they have done nothing. They will go out and get smashed and sit with the boring people in lectures, they will get a first and tell everyone they did no work. If you can work a juggler, you can not turn up to Uni and do well. Network with this person because generally they are exceptionally intelligent and will give you all their notes/fill you in on exam guidance whilst in the pub.

There's one more type. Type E. The Morphers. These are like type a but were held back by social constraints at school rather than parents who would have wanted them to be popular. Generally you can be unpopular at school for something that happened when young and you've been pigeonholed a loser ever since. All of a sudden these people are popular. These are the people most likely to fail at Uni. All of a sudden people want to talk to them... All of a sudden they don't care about work.

This is really detailed! :biggrin:

Type D sounds interesting... xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which are you :wink:

Reply 10
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Which are you :wink:

I'm a C, but I didn't really go to Uni because I didn't like the people, would have gone more if I did, luckily I was good friends with a juggler so I got a 2:1, just.
Original post by Nichrome
It depends on where you go. If you go to a university near the top of the table (Oxbridge, etc.) then yes it is significantly harder. If you're going somewhere middling, it's about the same, and near the bottom, significantly easier.

Outwith Oxbridge, this statement is wildly inaccurate and the initial question is totally dependent on where you study. I go to a top 20 RG uni, my girlfriend goes to one significantly lower down the tables (which aren't gospel by the way), we both do Politics as a module and the difference in exams/work load/content (if any) is marginal.

OP - my honest answer would be no, it isn't harder than what you've studied before (excl. Oxbridge etc). The workload at college can actually be more than it is at University, and as long as you're in a routine of self-studying, you'll be total fine.
I haven't found it particularly hard in comparison to A-levels as it suits my learning style so much better than college did. I hated learning and regurgitating information, it requires no independent thought and I found it really boring most of the time however at university you have to think for yourself, research topics independently and think critically throughout so while some may find this challenging I managed to adjust quite easily to this style of learning. It has nothing to do with how low or high up the table your uni is as someone above suggested though, it's purely down to you. Just because your friends find something easy or interesting doesn't mean you will and vice versa; this applies to university life too.
For me it's been the workload that's made it harder, it's hard for me to do good quality work when I have so much of it. But I guess it depends where you go.
Reply 14
Uni has been way easier for me, but then again my uni is so bad that it's basically a college.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
It has nothing to do with how low or high up the table your uni is as someone above suggested though, it's purely down to you.

It is not 'down to you' how much work you have to do. That just doesn't make any sense. If you go to unis with harder courses, you need to learn and understand more content, and therefore work harder. There is no-one who finds way more work 'easier'. Not if we're working on any sensible definition of 'difficulty'.
Reply 16

C.

Average student, done 'fine' at school with mostly B's who mostly gets a 2.1, always had freedom and generally have a balance for going out and concentrating on studies at the same time.

:congrats:

Seems legit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It is not 'down to you' how much work you have to do. That just doesn't make any sense. If you go to unis with harder courses, you need to learn and understand more content, and therefore work harder. There is no-one who finds way more work 'easier'. Not if we're working on any sensible definition of 'difficulty'.

That's not what I said. I never mentioned workload - what I meant when I said "it's down to you" is that difficulty is relative to each individual's strengths and weaknesses; the uni you go to or the course you do is not enough information to gage how easy or hard you will find your course. I didn't mean to suggest that the amount or complexity of your university work is down to your choice, if that's how you interpreted it.

Difficulty does not necessarily correlate with the amount of work you have to do. You could have a 5000 word essay due in which you find really easy as you understand and enjoyed the content, and find a 2000 word essay the next week really difficult.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest