This discussion is closed.
Kiviniil
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Need some help, everyone.

I've been accepted into one of my PhD courses, and I should be hearing from another on Monday. I won't find out about the funding for either course until the middle of next month, so I'm not sure what to do here.

if I get into the second one, I'll be forced to accept an offer before I find out about funding. The deciding date for Glasgow is the end of next week, so if I get into my other course too, I'll have to pick. But I don't know whether or not I'll get funding for either.

Do I have to decide now and only take forward my funding applications with one uni? This just seems so strange to me. Some uni's haven't even had their deadlines yet! And on top of that, if I accept and don't get funding, I'll have to formally write to the uni and pull out of the course. I'm pretty stuck here

also, if all of this is true, I'll need to decide on a uni next week with no idea of funding. That's sooner than expected. And the circumstances seem sucky. Help a guy out?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiviniil)
if I accept and don't get funding, I'll have to formally write to the uni and pull out of the course.
That's not unusual. One of my Masters colleagues had six unfunded PhD offers, including Oxford. They ultimately had to turn all of them down because they couldn't get funding.
redferry
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kiviniil)
Need some help, everyone.

I've been accepted into one of my PhD courses, and I should be hearing from another on Monday. I won't find out about the funding for either course until the middle of next month, so I'm not sure what to do here.

if I get into the second one, I'll be forced to accept an offer before I find out about funding. The deciding date for Glasgow is the end of next week, so if I get into my other course too, I'll have to pick. But I don't know whether or not I'll get funding for either.

Do I have to decide now and only take forward my funding applications with one uni? This just seems so strange to me. Some uni's haven't even had their deadlines yet! And on top of that, if I accept and don't get funding, I'll have to formally write to the uni and pull out of the course. I'm pretty stuck here

also, if all of this is true, I'll need to decide on a uni next week with no idea of funding. That's sooner than expected. And the circumstances seem sucky. Help a guy out?
Hey!

Once you accept there's nothing to stop you turning it down!

You don't have to make a decision until both sets of funding outcomes are through.
M
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
That's not unusual. One of my Masters colleagues had six unfunded PhD offers, including Oxford. They ultimately had to turn all of them down because they couldn't get funding.
That's so strange normally if the supervisor thinks you are a good enough candidate you go forward and apply for other funding sources
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
That's so strange normally if the supervisor thinks you are a good enough candidate you go forward and apply for other funding sources
They applied to multiple funding sources, none of which came through. PhD funding which is unattached to an organised funded PhD is monsterously competitive and especially limited in the Humanities. They're now awaiting the outcome of PhD applications abroad, as they've exhausted all possible UK funding sources.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They applied to multiple funding sources, none of which came through. PhD funding which is unattached to an organised funded PhD is monsterously competitive and especially limited in the Humanities. They're now awaiting the outcome of PhD applications abroad, as they've exhausted all possible UK funding sources.
They are well ahead again. I'm sure once their masters is done and they reapply next year theylle find something.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They are well ahead again. I'm sure once their masters is done and they reapply next year theylle find something.
They graduated from their Masters a couple of years ago and did a one year internship afterwards to boost their CV whilst applying for funding.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They graduated from their Masters a couple of years ago and did a one year internship afterwards to boost their CV whilst applying for funding.
Oich. I thought you were still doing it. Humanities is suffering from qualification inflation worse than other areas
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Humanities is suffering from qualification inflation worse than other areas
I'm not sure that qualification inflation is an issue. There's an acknowledged lack of postgrad funding in the Humanities with people chasing an ever-decreasing pool of money. Government policy is to concentrate funding on STEM subjects and even that is highly competitive.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure that qualification inflation is an issue. There's an acknowledged lack of postgrad funding in the Humanities with people chasing an ever-decreasing pool of money. Government policy is to concentrate funding on STEM subjects and even that is highly competitive.
Yeahh we (environment and conservation) just got our funding slashed within NERC to make way for a oil and gas research body.

The government is taking cash flow away from the areas that get the least private funding in the first place.
Eubacterium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What Klixx says is the same in science. I find hard to take any PhD ads seriously anymore, going by mine and others' experience of going to interviews only to find there's no funding despite it being advertised otherwise. Most supervisors are honest in their ads but some lie. Competitive finding (which is most commonly advertised in biology) is like no funding as far as I’m concerned because lets say ~50 people apply for one PhD, and there's 10 projects for one source of funding, you're up against ~500 people. Even if you're a good candidate and the project is well thought out, the funding body may be looking for something else.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.54%
No (166)
69.46%

Watched Threads