MollyDriver98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I truly don't understand Enzymes and it is what I need to learn for biology GCSE. I want to revise them but nothing sticks, any ideas?
letsbehonest
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MollyDriver98)
I truly don't understand Enzymes and it is what I need to learn for biology GCSE. I want to revise them but nothing sticks, any ideas?
Enzymes are proteins.

Enzymes speed up reactions in your body or other organisms like plants. They are biological catalysts. A catalyst just means something that speeds up a reaction.

Also the important bit is that enzymes have a special shape. In order for the enzyme to work, it has to join together with another piece like a puzzle, the other piece is called a substrate. The bit where they join at is called the active site

Enzymes work best at 37degrees in your body. That is when lots of the enzymes and substrates will be colliding and joining together.

If the temperature is really high then the shape of the 'active site' which is like the bit where the puzzle joins together changes shape. So people say the enzyme is denatured.

You could draw puzzle shapes that join together. You can also draw a graph which shows enzyme/temperature (google it).
MollyDriver98
Rep:
?
Thank you so much. I know about the 'lock and key' mechanism meaning that they fit together and only fit a certain thing and I know about catalysts but this has helped me so much. Thanks
MollyDriver98
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=ActualRealJamz;46459954]If you need to know anything about the names of any enzymes they generally end with '-ase.'
Two examples of this are protease, which works for proteins, and lipase (which works for fats).
With the exception of lipase, enzyme names are pretty predictable.

Thanks so much. I also know of amylase and I have heard of protease too. Lipase I don't really understand
letsbehonest
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=MollyDriver98;46460053]
(Original post by ActualRealJamz)
If you need to know anything about the names of any enzymes they generally end with '-ase.'
Two examples of this are protease, which works for proteins, and lipase (which works for fats).
With the exception of lipase, enzyme names are pretty predictable.

Thanks so much. I also know of amylase and I have heard of protease too. Lipase I don't really understand
Lipase breaks down lipids which are fats
MollyDriver98
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=letsbehonest;46460327][QUOTE=MollyDriver98;46460053]

Lipase breaks down lipids which are fats

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (135)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.81%
Not great so far... (273)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.58%

Watched Threads