michaelyus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
What GCSEs are there without coursework, or with a no-coursework option? Not including iGCSEs, I only know of:

all Modern Foreign Languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch, Japanese, Chinese, Bengali, Persian, Arabic, Turkish)

Classics (Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew)

What else are there?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think there's science, but then you have to do a practical exam.
quintsy
Badges: 17
Report 14 years ago
I think it depends on the exam board and which specification you're on. I take French and German with OCR and we don't have any coursework; yet I know of some people who take them with other exam boards and they have coursework.

I take short course RE with edexcel (religion and the media specification), and that doesn't have any coursework either.
calcium878
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
General Studies GCSE? At a guess.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
History AQA, if you do a third paper instead of coursework. You can also do a writing paper instead of coursework for MFL. Short course RE has no coursework either (I don't know about full course though).
Biffy Clyro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My full course RE had no coursework.
*Princess*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ye Edexcel full course RS has no coursework although u can do the coursework option if u wanted
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The only GCSE I didn't have coursework for was OCR short course RS.
Rooftopcowboy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you can do GCSE Business Studies without coursework IIRC, depends on what your school chooses to offer.
lil one
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ocr long course RS had a non-cw option
Balky_Bear
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did Business and Communication Systems (not my choice), which didnt require coursework. I'm not sure which exam board it was with.
TheRandomer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Business Studies with AQA (I think)
Modern World History with AQA
RE Full/Short with Edexcel

Some ICT courses maybe..
RJA
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did coursework for my French GCSE...

The only one I did without coursework was General Studies, so Calcium was right :rolleyes:
marshmallow_mayhem
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Short course R.E and for modern languages you can choose between three pieces of written coursework or a written exam. Oh, and Add. Maths.
WorkHouse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Edexcel RS, Maths and Short course french
michaelyus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'd like boards as well.

I think that all MFL GCSEs have a writing paper option, therefore they have a non-coursework option.

OK, so:
Religious studies (Edexcel) at both short and full courses
Business studies (AQA)
General Studies (all?)
Modern World History (AQA)
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by michaelyus)
OCR as well.
aced
Report 14 years ago
Don't be so lazy! Coursework marks are easier to get than actual exam marks IMO. For example, I am no genius at chemistry, but got 30/30 in the coursework.
sax gal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think quite a few exams have a 'non coursework option' exam paper you can take instead. I'm guessing economics has a non-coursework option at gcse since i did edexcel AS this year which was 100% exams. But I think teachers prefer to enter their students for the coursework option (perhaps with the exception of modern languages?? French was my only gcse without coursework) as it is easier to get higher marks as you have a long time to complete the coursework (although what you do with that time is up to you!). I personally prefer coursework to exams (with the exception of French!) as if you get a high mark you can walk into the exam knowing you've already got 25%+ of the final grade and it's pot luck over which questions you get in the exam, which you only have a short amount of time to answer.
Happy1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by michaelyus)
I'd like boards as well.

I think that all MFL GCSEs have a writing paper option, therefore they have a non-coursework option.

OK, so:
Business studies (AQA)
General Studies (all?)
Modern World History (AQA)
I did AQA history - it wasnt modern world history, but the schools' history project, and that had 2 lots of coursework - a project in local churches and controlled essays on ireland in which we could use our own notes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads