Heriot-Watt's Ask a Current Student Thread Watch

zorrowoof
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also i have to wait until results to choose my accommodation and i was wondering if the new halls and flats of 5 are usually popular and do they usually get taken up fast?
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zorrowoof)
Also i have to wait until results to choose my accommodation and i was wondering if the new halls and flats of 5 are usually popular and do they usually get taken up fast?
Hi zorrowoof,

Brilliant news that you have firmed up with us! Lectures are normally 50 minutes - 1 hour in length but sometimes you might get a "double lecture" so obviously double the time. For a course like Actuarial Science you will not have many lab classes so your contact time will be about 16 hours a week give or take. You will be expected to do lots of personal study however.

With regards to your accommodation questions, you will be in the same boat as many other applicants as most people have to wait on their results. Normally there is halls left from all types come results day so you should be ok but the sooner you can make that application (morning of results day) the better.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
Cheers,
Keir
username3953918
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm coming to Heriot Watt this September to go into year 2 of Economics and Law. I was wondering if there were any books anyone would suggest in buying? I met another student who mentioned a book in passing to me that he found very helpful, all I can remember is that it was business law but not sure if it just related to Scotland or not. Can anyone help? Also...sorry... Is it better if the book is the student version or the authors version? I never realised until now that there was a difference. Thanks
Nikos.va
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I have applied for biological sciences at HW and I have managed to meet every requirement except for one! The course needs an average grade score of 19/20 and I got 18.6/20. How likely is it for me to make it?
Durandoe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,What's it like living on the bottom floor of Christina Miller halls? I managed to get Block A Floor 1 Room 1 and i was unsure whether the bottom floor would be bothered by the people walking by all of the time
pb46
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi WeeGuy,
I have an offer from Heriot-Watt in Economics. Quick questions if you don't mind:
1. I am a bit concerned about the 4 yrs MA (Hons) Economics course in Scotland versus 3 yrs in England. Can you please help me justify spending the extra year at Heriot-Watt?
2. Also, I heard from someone that A-level students from England could join in year-2 rather than year-1. Is it still the case?
3. Since you are in Economics, can you please provide information on campus-recruitment and employability side of things, what kind of companies come, etc.
Many Thanks,
Shrey
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Shrey,

I've just responded to your question on another thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post79384024

Carole

(Original post by pb46)
Hi WeeGuy,
I have an offer from Heriot-Watt in Economics. Quick questions if you don't mind:
1. I am a bit concerned about the 4 yrs MA (Hons) Economics course in Scotland versus 3 yrs in England. Can you please help me justify spending the extra year at Heriot-Watt?
2. Also, I heard from someone that A-level students from England could join in year-2 rather than year-1. Is it still the case?
3. Since you are in Economics, can you please provide information on campus-recruitment and employability side of things, what kind of companies come, etc.
Many Thanks,
Shrey
catsandpotatoes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's my bunch of questionsoes anyone have an idea of what the psychology department is like (for 3rd and 4th years at least)? Is it common to see students assisting professors in research?I'm going to be staying in private accommodation off-campus. How is this going to affect my social life, if at all? Thanks x
jq2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What books do I need to get if I'm starting the Statistical Data Science course in Heriot Watt Malaysia soon
Elother
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi was just wondering for courses like chemistry at Heriot-Watt are lab coats, goggles etc provided and what are the chem labs like?
Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Elother,

An equipment pack containing a lab coat and goggles, plus a locker to keep them in, can be provided by the University for a small fee when you arrive!

---
Dave C
PhD - Signal Processing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (14)
9.93%
Disagree (8)
5.67%
Neither agree or disagree (47)
33.33%
Agree (53)
37.59%
Strongly Agree (19)
13.48%

Watched Threads