The Student Room Group

Good science/maths books

Hi, I'm in year 12 and I want to study Natural Sciences at Uni (more the physical sciences) and I'd like to do some extra reading to broaden my knowledge before I apply. I'm particularly interested in Astrophysics, Quantum Physics and Chemistry, but any books that you think would be easy to understand for an AS student but an interesting read too :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Carla Huynh
Hi, I'm in year 12 and I want to study Natural Sciences at Uni (more the physical sciences) and I'd like to do some extra reading to broaden my knowledge before I apply. I'm particularly interested in Astrophysics, Quantum Physics and Chemistry, but any books that you think would be easy to understand for an AS student but an interesting read too :smile:

Why Chemical Reactions Happen by Keeler and Wothers is really good. Some others are here.

For physics books I found the most interesting to be undergrad textbooks as I find popsci books to not be mathematical enough to actually give you any understanding. If you've got the money then buy one of Feynman's Lectures books (or all 3), the Manchester Physics Series books are also really good. Books like QED by Feynman and The Theoretical Minimum by Susskind are good.

With maths it's good to learn the content from some of the higher A Level mechanics modules (M3-5) as this is where it actually starts to get interesting.

Reading stuff like New Scientist, Physics World, Physics Today, etc. is also good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks. I was going to watch the Feynman lectures online because the books cost a lot and M2 and 3 I'm studying next year. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably see if the library has any of them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending