The Student Room Group

Wayne Rooney: Man Utd striker agrees new £300k per week deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26287482

Obscene amount of money that imho can never be justified.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Football is a massive business now, I don't see that stopping any time soon
Reply 2
Must be cool to earn in a week what some people will never earn in a life time. I disagree that its not justified though. Supply and demand.
Reply 3
He's a good player, but he's never been worth that much. And I don't think he will be at 32, either. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by ThePoster
He's a good player, but he's never been worth that much. And I don't think he will be at 32, either. :tongue:

Man U think they can make it pay...
Reply 5
Original post by Kawanami
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26287482

Obscene amount of money that imho can never be justified.

What has it got to do with you? Private money, changing hands privately. It has nothing to do with you. They can pay him £5million a day and it wouldn't matter to you, me, your mother, your father, your cat or your dog.

Would you be making this thread to complain about Tom Cruise's pay for his last film? No, you wouldn't, it's football bashing, because people that don't like football in this country cannot keep away.

It is entirely natural that the most successful individuals in any field get paid the most - it really isn't difficult to comprehend.

What a boring, cliched, unimaginative, pointless post.
Whilst I agree that it is a stupid amount of money, they are paid no more, or less in some cases than F1 drives, baseball and basketball players, tennis players, singers, actors etc.
Reply 7
The footballers are overpaid shtick is really tiresome now.

Who cares? Yeah, nurses are underpaid. Yeah, they do more good than footballers. Footballers are, essentially, entertainers. They entertain the majority of the world week in, week out. If we got a kick out of seeing a nurse perform an enema, I'm sure they'd be raking it in too.
Reply 8
Original post by Mackay
TWho cares? Yeah, nurses are underpaid. Yeah, they do more good than footballers. Footballers are, essentially, entertainers. They entertain the majority of the world week in, week out. If we got a kick out of seeing a nurse perform an enema, I'm sure they'd be raking it in too.

It's funny, because i'm sure they'd all complain if their taxes were increased to fund the pay rises of thousands of nurses/soldiers/police officers etc.

Rooney is not worth £300k p/w though. But if they want to pay that then more fool them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
This is more of a statement by Man United to show that they mean business and will continue to attract the best players in the world. If they show they're willing to pay such a high wage, then we will see many new faces in the summer.
Reply 11
Lol he's swindled Man Utd again, next season he'll have another hair transplant and he'll be just like a new signing.
Reply 12
A goodly portion of his pay goes to the exchequer - to pay for all those apparently humble public servants.

And the rest - what does he do with it? I expect he spends a lot of it. Which is fabulous news.
Reply 13
Original post by Cll_ws

Rooney is not worth £300k p/w though. But if they want to pay that then more fool them.

Not only that, but he's said he wanted to leave the club TWICE.
Most people's pay is quoted as per hour or per annum. So on the basis of a 50 hour week if being generous, it's £6k per hour or £15.6m per annum.
Reply 15
I really don't think he is worth £300,000 per week. He isn't even that good. There are far better players out there who are paid much less - Suarez, Hazard, Lewandowski, Reus, Van Persie, Benzema and Neymar to name a few. If Man United think his services are worth that much then who am I to disagree.

Original post by Clip
A goodly portion of his pay goes to the exchequer - to pay for all those apparently humble public servants.

It was only a couple of years that Rooney, amongst others, were discovered to be paying as little as 2% tax by receiving a substantial proportion of their total earnings via an image rights company.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
He's only overpaid in the sense that there are better players receiving less money than him. That's all
Hes not even worth half that. Suarez is leaving him in the dust!
Reply 18
Original post by Burridge
I really don't think he is worth £300,000 per week. He isn't even that good. There are far better players out there who are paid much less - Suarez, Hazard, Lewandowski, Reus, Van Persie, Benzema and Neymar to name a few. If Man United think his services are worth that much then who am I to disagree.

It was only a couple of years that Rooney, amongst others, were discovered to be paying as little as 2% tax by receiving a substantial proportion of their total earnings via an image rights company.

That's just the headline shocker value. There will be tax on those earnings - it just won't be income tax. Additionally, 2% tax on £15m is a lot more than your average Joe Bloggs will ever pay.
Reply 19
Original post by Clip
That's just the headline shocker value. There will be tax on those earnings - it just won't be income tax. Additionally, 2% tax on £15m is a lot more than your average Joe Bloggs will ever pay.

He'll be paying more than 2%, no doubt, but the point still stands; he's still paying less that he ought to be. It might be legal but it's certainly not ethical or morally just. And whilst it's more than most people will pay, that's only true in cash terms - that's not the most fair way to measure it. It's quite possible that as a proportion nurses, cleaners and teachers will be paying more tax than Rooney.

Quick Reply