Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
For the last two years, me and one of my housemates (I'll call her CH (clean housemate)) have been living with two of the worst human beings we have ever had the misfortune to meet. Recently we've been reading other people's stories about awful housemates online and we think our situation could beat all of the ones we've read about! We basically just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything on the same level as this and how you dealt with it, because we're at our wits end with it all!

Let me tell you the story...

Second year of uni. Four girls move in to their first proper house together. There’s CH, HFH (housemate from hell), me and one other girl. Before me and CH moved in, HFH and the other girl we were living with went to pick the house and room keys up from the landlord. When me and CH got to the house, HFH claimed that they had put the keys in a hat and picked theirs at random, and HFH just 'happened' to get the biggest room. Which was basically already set up with all her things by the time me and CH got there. Hmmm...

HFH's boyfriend popped up on the day we all moved in. He stayed over in the house for the first few weeks and just... never went home.

Despite many reassurances from HFH that he would be 'going home next week,' he never did. So he basically ended up living with us permanently, against the tenancy rules. HFH hadn't ever brought up the fact that he'd be living with us, and she definitely hadn't asked us if it would be okay. We weren't happy at all. He didn't contribute anything at all to the house moneywise but used our amenities and our space for free.

After a few weeks of living in the same house as HFH and her bf, we came to realise what we had let ourselves in for. They were messy. Dirty. Scruffy beyond belief.

From the start, it never felt like ‘our house.’ It felt like it was their house and me and CH just happened to have a bedroom each in it. They took over the whole house right from the start. Mine and CH’s bedrooms were obviously the only rooms they couldn’t touch.

Let me give you an imaginary tour…

The bathroom was crammed full of their toiletries, and they had a stupid number of each one, shampoos, conditioners, hair dye, razors, deodorants, toothbrushes, bobbles, hair clips, hair gel, shower gel, mouthwashes, a hairbrush which HFH used to leave on the back of the toilet (disgusting)... the list was endless. And to make it worse, they never got rid of their empty product bottles, so when me and CH wanted to put our (few) things in there, we had to clear away half a shelf of their empty bottles first. Also, HFH used to have hour long baths without asking if anyone needed the loo first… which almost ended in disaster a few times.

That's the first room that they never ever cleaned, but made a ton of mess in.

They had given themselves over half of the storage space in the kitchen before me and CH moved in. They rarely washed their dishes, and when they were washed it was HFH's boyfriend that did it 99% of the time. To this day I have only seen HFH wash a plate or a fork two or three times... and by 'wash' I mean rinse under the cold tap for a few seconds.

Their plates, bowls, pans and cutlery used to pile up and pile up until they had no clean things left to cook or eat with. So they'd just rinse what they needed for one meal and then leave it on top of the pile of other dirty plates again when they’d eaten. Or, they’d start going in mine and CH’s drawers and using our cutlery and plates without asking. NOT COOL. Several kitchen items belonging to me and CH also disappeared completely at the end of second year.

The pile of their dirty kitchen things used to be there for so long that on multiple occasions, mould started growing on it. Sometimes when they'd cooked using two or three pans, they'd just leave them all on the hob, with food still in them, for a few days so there was no space for me and CH to cook. Tea towels disappeared in to their room faster than me and CH could buy new ones… and they always turned up about four weeks later, covered in orange stains and smelling rank. We had to bin the lot of them.

That's the second room they never cleaned, but made a lot of mess in.

The living room was filled with their stuff from day one and they'd decided that they were going to choose the colour scheme; if me or CH suggested buying some furnishings for the living room then HFH said we had to show her first in case what we bought 'didn't fit in with the colour scheme.'

HFH never cleaned the living room either but on occasion her bf did. However, 95% of the time, the room was strewn with food wrappers, dirty plates and glasses, guitars, old Tesco bags, coats, rucksacks, wires, bits of paper... a load of their crap, and there was often no space to sit down because all their stuff was piled up on the sofas.

Outside the living room, a coat hook rack that had more than enough hooks for four people was always fully taken up with all of their coats and bags.

We were never allowed in to their room (not that we'd have wanted to go in) but on occasion when they were out, me and CH used to poke our heads round the door and the sight that greeted us was always unbelievable...

First of all, there was usually a pile of stuff outside the door (bags, shoes, coats). Once you managed to climb past that, you could hardly open the door due to the huge pile of crap on the floor behind it, inside the room. Once you had got in, you could not see an inch of carpet anywhere. The floor was covered in a very thick layer of clothes, bags, food wrappers, plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery, paper, tea towels, plastic bags, bin bags, shoes, guitars, amps and most of their other possessions. The wardrobe doors hung open with nothing inside it, the shelves were incredibly messy and don't even get me started on the bed. It was disgusting, I’ll put it that way. I have no idea how they knew which clothes were clean and which were dirty, because everything was in the same pile on the floor.

Another thing was the bins. HFH never ever emptied the bins or helped us on the nights when we had to put them out for the bin men. The most I ever saw her do was ONCE put a clean bin bag in one of the bins after I’d taken the full bin bag out of it.

And whenever she did anything like that, like clear two crumbs from the chopping board or move a bag from the sofa so someone could sit down, she always wanted praise for it, like she’d just run a marathon or something. Me and CH were constantly cleaning the communal rooms (as well as our own bedrooms) from top to bottom and not once did we get a thank you out of either of them.

So, that was the situation in the second year house…

As early as October of our second year, me and CH had realised what we'd got ourselves in to and started looking for two bed flats for our third year. We talked about it for a few weeks but left it too late, as HFH started bringing the subject of houses up. We ended up signing for a house with HFH for our final year at uni. (HFH’s bf moved in with us again, which we obviously weren’t told about. Again). We foolishly thought that things might get better (cleaner) in third year. Boy were we wrong.

Third year has been even worse than second year. The situation with all the communal rooms is the same as how I described it in second year, only with even more of their stuff lying around everywhere.

On several occasions me and CH have had to get takeaway because they have left the kitchen in a state which is too dirty to cook in. Just before CH went home for Christmas, she put all of HFH’s dirty kitchen stuff from around the house (pans, plates, cutlery) in to the washing up bowl and left it on the side in the kitchen. It is now the 21st February and the washing up bowl is still there. A few items from the top of the bowl have been moved, I’ll admit, but most of the things that were put in to it before Christmas are still there. And the kitchen is bigger this year so there are even more surfaces for them to clutter up and make crumbs on. They never put food wrappers in the bin either, they just leave them on
the side. And we’re still yet to see either of them change the bin bag when it gets full.

The new (also bigger) living room is crammed full of their stuff and there is still never any space to sit on the sofas. So far this year they have lost the TV remote and part of the vacuum cleaner which means no one can use the telly properly or vac anywhere in the house.

The situation with the coat hooks in the hall is the same as last year, and now there is a big collection of their shoes and bags on the floor in the hall as well, which is getting dangerously close to CH’s bedroom door. They have now taken to hanging things from the banister as well.

Their new bedroom is bigger than their old one and filled with even more crap. There is always a horrible smell coming from it as well; I’d go so far as to say it’s too dirty/messy to clean. There are boxes and bags filled with rubbish outside their bedroom door and another bag gets added to that little collection every week.

There is currently a pair of HFH’s boyfriend’s shoes in the bathroom and he’s always leaving clothes in there too. Who does that?! They don’t always flush the toilet when they’ve used it and they rarely shower or clean their teeth. We know this because the other week, we saw their toothpaste on the bathroom floor and it stayed in the same place for three days.

I know what most people would say about this… why don’t you just talk to them about it? Because it’s impossible to do that, we’ve tried. Whenever we bring up cleaning with either of them they either ignore us or change the subject.

And on top of all this… they are nasty people. HFH is rude, *****y, petty and the laziest person we have ever met. Everything that comes out of her mouth is a complaint and she’s the most negative person ever. Being in her presence for longer than two minutes is draining. In the past she has *****ed about me to CH and CH to me, she’s ****ged off our friends and our boyfriends/guys we were seeing. She has never made any effort to speak to new people we bring round to the house. Whenever other people come round she just blanks them. She has never lifted a finger around the house and very rarely buys toilet roll or milk (we are meant to take it in turns to buy it). She owes me and CH quite a bit of money. Her time is mostly spent sleeping, eating, complaining and *****ing. Apart from going to lectures three times a week, she rarely leaves the house, choosing instead to sit in the same spot on the sofa all day watching YouTube videos on her laptop. She doesn’t talk about her own life to us, so we still don’t really know much about her, but is incredibly nosy and is always sticking her nose in to our business. She posts *****y tweets about people regularly because she doesn’t have the guts to say things directly to people. She constantly contradicts herself and there have been so many cases of double standards with her. And as for her bf… he’s just a slime ball. End of.

So basically, it seems to me and CH that you could never find two more horrible, scruffy people. Living with them for the last few years has been hell and we can’t wait to get away!

Thoughts anyone? [‘:
RSmith1007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure there's much you can do now, you may have to just put up with it.
Alistair Mac Tir
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
For the last two years, me and one of my housemates (I'll call her CH (clean housemate)) have been living with two of the worst human beings we have ever had the misfortune to meet. Recently we've been reading other people's stories about awful housemates online and we think our situation could beat all of the ones we've read about! We basically just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything on the same level as this and how you dealt with it, because we're at our wits end with it all!

Let me tell you the story...

Second year of uni. Four girls move in to their first proper house together. There’s CH, HFH (housemate from hell), me and one other girl. Before me and CH moved in, HFH and the other girl we were living with went to pick the house and room keys up from the landlord. When me and CH got to the house, HFH claimed that they had put the keys in a hat and picked theirs at random, and HFH just 'happened' to get the biggest room. Which was basically already set up with all her things by the time me and CH got there. Hmmm...

HFH's boyfriend popped up on the day we all moved in. He stayed over in the house for the first few weeks and just... never went home.

Despite many reassurances from HFH that he would be 'going home next week,' he never did. So he basically ended up living with us permanently, against the tenancy rules. HFH hadn't ever brought up the fact that he'd be living with us, and she definitely hadn't asked us if it would be okay. We weren't happy at all. He didn't contribute anything at all to the house moneywise but used our amenities and our space for free.

After a few weeks of living in the same house as HFH and her bf, we came to realise what we had let ourselves in for. They were messy. Dirty. Scruffy beyond belief.

From the start, it never felt like ‘our house.’ It felt like it was their house and me and CH just happened to have a bedroom each in it. They took over the whole house right from the start. Mine and CH’s bedrooms were obviously the only rooms they couldn’t touch.

Let me give you an imaginary tour…

The bathroom was crammed full of their toiletries, and they had a stupid number of each one, shampoos, conditioners, hair dye, razors, deodorants, toothbrushes, bobbles, hair clips, hair gel, shower gel, mouthwashes, a hairbrush which HFH used to leave on the back of the toilet (disgusting)... the list was endless. And to make it worse, they never got rid of their empty product bottles, so when me and CH wanted to put our (few) things in there, we had to clear away half a shelf of their empty bottles first. Also, HFH used to have hour long baths without asking if anyone needed the loo first… which almost ended in disaster a few times.

That's the first room that they never ever cleaned, but made a ton of mess in.

They had given themselves over half of the storage space in the kitchen before me and CH moved in. They rarely washed their dishes, and when they were washed it was HFH's boyfriend that did it 99% of the time. To this day I have only seen HFH wash a plate or a fork two or three times... and by 'wash' I mean rinse under the cold tap for a few seconds.

Their plates, bowls, pans and cutlery used to pile up and pile up until they had no clean things left to cook or eat with. So they'd just rinse what they needed for one meal and then leave it on top of the pile of other dirty plates again when they’d eaten. Or, they’d start going in mine and CH’s drawers and using our cutlery and plates without asking. NOT COOL. Several kitchen items belonging to me and CH also disappeared completely at the end of second year.

The pile of their dirty kitchen things used to be there for so long that on multiple occasions, mould started growing on it. Sometimes when they'd cooked using two or three pans, they'd just leave them all on the hob, with food still in them, for a few days so there was no space for me and CH to cook. Tea towels disappeared in to their room faster than me and CH could buy new ones… and they always turned up about four weeks later, covered in orange stains and smelling rank. We had to bin the lot of them.

That's the second room they never cleaned, but made a lot of mess in.

The living room was filled with their stuff from day one and they'd decided that they were going to choose the colour scheme; if me or CH suggested buying some furnishings for the living room then HFH said we had to show her first in case what we bought 'didn't fit in with the colour scheme.'

HFH never cleaned the living room either but on occasion her bf did. However, 95% of the time, the room was strewn with food wrappers, dirty plates and glasses, guitars, old Tesco bags, coats, rucksacks, wires, bits of paper... a load of their crap, and there was often no space to sit down because all their stuff was piled up on the sofas.

Outside the living room, a coat hook rack that had more than enough hooks for four people was always fully taken up with all of their coats and bags.

We were never allowed in to their room (not that we'd have wanted to go in) but on occasion when they were out, me and CH used to poke our heads round the door and the sight that greeted us was always unbelievable...

First of all, there was usually a pile of stuff outside the door (bags, shoes, coats). Once you managed to climb past that, you could hardly open the door due to the huge pile of crap on the floor behind it, inside the room. Once you had got in, you could not see an inch of carpet anywhere. The floor was covered in a very thick layer of clothes, bags, food wrappers, plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery, paper, tea towels, plastic bags, bin bags, shoes, guitars, amps and most of their other possessions. The wardrobe doors hung open with nothing inside it, the shelves were incredibly messy and don't even get me started on the bed. It was disgusting, I’ll put it that way. I have no idea how they knew which clothes were clean and which were dirty, because everything was in the same pile on the floor.

Another thing was the bins. HFH never ever emptied the bins or helped us on the nights when we had to put them out for the bin men. The most I ever saw her do was ONCE put a clean bin bag in one of the bins after I’d taken the full bin bag out of it.

And whenever she did anything like that, like clear two crumbs from the chopping board or move a bag from the sofa so someone could sit down, she always wanted praise for it, like she’d just run a marathon or something. Me and CH were constantly cleaning the communal rooms (as well as our own bedrooms) from top to bottom and not once did we get a thank you out of either of them.

So, that was the situation in the second year house…

As early as October of our second year, me and CH had realised what we'd got ourselves in to and started looking for two bed flats for our third year. We talked about it for a few weeks but left it too late, as HFH started bringing the subject of houses up. We ended up signing for a house with HFH for our final year at uni. (HFH’s bf moved in with us again, which we obviously weren’t told about. Again). We foolishly thought that things might get better (cleaner) in third year. Boy were we wrong.

Third year has been even worse than second year. The situation with all the communal rooms is the same as how I described it in second year, only with even more of their stuff lying around everywhere.

On several occasions me and CH have had to get takeaway because they have left the kitchen in a state which is too dirty to cook in. Just before CH went home for Christmas, she put all of HFH’s dirty kitchen stuff from around the house (pans, plates, cutlery) in to the washing up bowl and left it on the side in the kitchen. It is now the 21st February and the washing up bowl is still there. A few items from the top of the bowl have been moved, I’ll admit, but most of the things that were put in to it before Christmas are still there. And the kitchen is bigger this year so there are even more surfaces for them to clutter up and make crumbs on. They never put food wrappers in the bin either, they just leave them on
the side. And we’re still yet to see either of them change the bin bag when it gets full.

The new (also bigger) living room is crammed full of their stuff and there is still never any space to sit on the sofas. So far this year they have lost the TV remote and part of the vacuum cleaner which means no one can use the telly properly or vac anywhere in the house.

The situation with the coat hooks in the hall is the same as last year, and now there is a big collection of their shoes and bags on the floor in the hall as well, which is getting dangerously close to CH’s bedroom door. They have now taken to hanging things from the banister as well.

Their new bedroom is bigger than their old one and filled with even more crap. There is always a horrible smell coming from it as well; I’d go so far as to say it’s too dirty/messy to clean. There are boxes and bags filled with rubbish outside their bedroom door and another bag gets added to that little collection every week.

There is currently a pair of HFH’s boyfriend’s shoes in the bathroom and he’s always leaving clothes in there too. Who does that?! They don’t always flush the toilet when they’ve used it and they rarely shower or clean their teeth. We know this because the other week, we saw their toothpaste on the bathroom floor and it stayed in the same place for three days.

I know what most people would say about this… why don’t you just talk to them about it? Because it’s impossible to do that, we’ve tried. Whenever we bring up cleaning with either of them they either ignore us or change the subject.

And on top of all this… they are nasty people. HFH is rude, *****y, petty and the laziest person we have ever met. Everything that comes out of her mouth is a complaint and she’s the most negative person ever. Being in her presence for longer than two minutes is draining. In the past she has *****ed about me to CH and CH to me, she’s ****ged off our friends and our boyfriends/guys we were seeing. She has never made any effort to speak to new people we bring round to the house. Whenever other people come round she just blanks them. She has never lifted a finger around the house and very rarely buys toilet roll or milk (we are meant to take it in turns to buy it). She owes me and CH quite a bit of money. Her time is mostly spent sleeping, eating, complaining and *****ing. Apart from going to lectures three times a week, she rarely leaves the house, choosing instead to sit in the same spot on the sofa all day watching YouTube videos on her laptop. She doesn’t talk about her own life to us, so we still don’t really know much about her, but is incredibly nosy and is always sticking her nose in to our business. She posts *****y tweets about people regularly because she doesn’t have the guts to say things directly to people. She constantly contradicts herself and there have been so many cases of double standards with her. And as for her bf… he’s just a slime ball. End of.

So basically, it seems to me and CH that you could never find two more horrible, scruffy people. Living with them for the last few years has been hell and we can’t wait to get away!

Thoughts anyone? [‘:
Assemble the house and negotiate a strict set of rules. For example, one is allowed to store only one unit of a type of toiletries in the bathroom. If that is breached, you are at liberty to dispose of any additional items.
For each rule, there should be strict punishment for breaching it.
aWildPidgey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just move out and on your last day there put all their **** in one enormous pile outside their rooms in the middle of the night.
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
coatsoft
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Piss her off see how she likes it. If there's their crap in the bathroom chuck it out the window
Walkin'Butterfly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That was a really entertaining read!
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ugh.

This made me feel sick.

I am quite obsessive about cleaning, and my flatmate is also untidy (not as bad as yours, by the sound of it, but still!). I would not be able to live with people like that. I would leave. Nothing on this earth could stop me leaving. Either that or I would throw everything they owned out. And then leave.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
10th March and the washing up bowl is still there... thanks for the comments guys!
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When our washing up used to pile up (which, to be fair, was my fault about 30% of the time but nowhere near as bad as you're suggesting), one of my housemates would take the offending items and put them outside my bedroom door. I suggest you do this.

In my first year I would have the problem of one of my housemates using my stuff (cutlery, pans etc) and not washing it up. In the end I stored my stuff in my room and brought it down three flights of stairs to the kitchen when I needed it.
Machop
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you confronted them about it? I'd be going ape**** if I was in this situation.
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha, I'm sorry but this is so ironic, it reminds me of the Magpies https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...78-the-magpies

You guys should try writing a novel too, it might become successful
KJane
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like you didn't put up a lot of fight, signing a house with her in 3rd year knowing what she was like. I had two nightmare housemates just like that in second year, they even set off fireworks to piss me off when I told them to turn their music down.

I used to put their washing up in their cupboards, or pile it up in one spot and clean around it. They eventually did it. A lot of the time, I did just clean, because a couple of hours spent cleaning up a mess I didn't make would've made me infinitely happier in the long run than suffering through all that like you.

Tbh if it got to that point, I'd threaten to chuck her stuff out because she'd clearly doesn't care. It's not like you've got much left to lose, might as well put your foot down.
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You guys were crazy to move in with this person for another year!! What were you thinking??
cmad95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You and CH are f***ing retards for living with her third year. But this may help get some revenge :P

http://www.poopsenders.com/
lNurl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For 2nd year , I feel sorry for you, but girl, 2nd time is your fault, you could respect yourself and found another room on time if you wanted to live with cleanercleaner housemates.

Only if HMH become extremely responsible and clean at the end of the 2nd year. You could 'think' about giving her another chance.

You had Chance , you left it late, you basically chose this life yourself.I don't feel sorry for you
Redders13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
10th March and the washing up bowl is still there... thanks for the comments guys!
have you ever thought about telling your landlord that one of his tenants is ruining their house?? the landlord would do an emergency inspection and if they're not happy with the filth your housemate and her bf have inflicted on it then they have the right to kick them out! sounds like a no brainer to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (111)
59.68%
No (40)
21.51%
Not sure (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads