natalieeilatan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
im really struggling with coming up with the essays especially structuring them for example the exams are in a few weeks and im trying to practice a voting factor essay but im not sure what to add if the question was " media is the most important voting factor, explain " how would i structure it ?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
bwstarr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

There is a big chance a voting factor question will come up this year, perhaps not media tho. For any voting factor question I would take 5 factors such as media, social class, ethnicity, age and gender. My advice is that you take 5 factors and memorise your paragraphs/essay plans so if this comes up in the exam you're well prepared.

Make sure you keep your structure flowing:
Introduction
Factor 1
Conclusion

If you use the PEEC structure (point, explain, example, counter argument) or as some call it PEEB and then link your paragraph to the question, you'll definitely get 12+ in this essay.

I got an A band 1 for modern studies last year
laurenmhari
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bwstarr)
Hi there,

There is a big chance a voting factor question will come up this year, perhaps not media tho. For any voting factor question I would take 5 factors such as media, social class, ethnicity, age and gender. My advice is that you take 5 factors and memorise your paragraphs/essay plans so if this comes up in the exam you're well prepared.

Make sure you keep your structure flowing:
Introduction
Factor 1
Conclusion

If you use the PEEC structure (point, explain, example, counter argument) or as some call it PEEB and then link your paragraph to the question, you'll definitely get 12+ in this essay.

I got an A band 1 for modern studies last year
Hello, I'm currently taking higher modern studies and we do the same in terms of structuring paragraphs. However, I've been taught to talk about 3 things instead of five, but more developed. Would you suggest to stick to this or should I learn extra and add a paragraph or two to my essays if I have time in the actual exam? Considering you got an A band 1 I am thinking of doing this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bwstarr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
Sorry I haven't noticed this until now. Every school does it differently; however, you get more marks for developing more factors rather than talking a lot about three. I recommend you try and add more paragraphs

Also, if you're aiming for an A I would advise you to make sure you're good at paper 2 because it's a gift. You should be aiming for 10/10 in the source questions and around 15/20 in the DME, which is not that hard considering you get marks for structure etc.
laurenmhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,
Sorry I haven't noticed this until now. Every school does it differently; however, you get more marks for developing more factors rather than talking a lot about three. I recommend you try and add more paragraphs

Also, if you're aiming for an A I would advise you to make sure you're good at paper 2 because it's a gift. You should be aiming for 10/10 in the source questions and around 15/20 in the DME, which is not that hard considering you get marks for structure etc.
Hello! Thanks for getting back to me.
Yeah that makes sense, and should be possible as I know at least 4 things I can write about well for every question.

Thanks for the advice, I'm used to getting 25-28s on paper 2 so I'm hoping it isn't a problem in the exam and hopefully I bag nearly full marks with it.

I was wondering, how did you perform throughout the year? Did you find you did better in the exam result wise than you had expected?

Thanks again for getting back to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
bwstarr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Throughout the year I was getting 12+ in my essays and around about 15-17 in my DME. However, in my prelim I only managed to get 68%. My final exam went really well- I predicted all the essays except one so I had basically memorised them but my last one I still had memorised factors so it was half memorised and for the DME I was including like 15 background knowledge points etc. so I knew I should have done well and I got 85%
laurenmhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Throughout the year I was getting 12+ in my essays and around about 15-17 in my DME. However, in my prelim I only managed to get 68%. My final exam went really well- I predicted all the essays except one so I had basically memorised them but my last one I still had memorised factors so it was half memorised and for the DME I was including like 15 background knowledge points etc. so I knew I should have done well and I got 85%
Okay, well done! That's encouraging.
I normally get 10-12, recently got full marks on an essay (my teacher marks kind of harsh so I was pleased) and I usually do well in DME.
However in the Prelim I did terrible (in my personal opinion) as the quality of my essays were poor under the pressure. I got a C, 3 marks off a B if I remember correctly which knocked my confidence.
However, since then I've done 4 essays under time a couple of times and managed to get As and Bs so I am hoping I've improved from my prelim and will at least reach a B!

If you have any revision advice/predictions - that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bwstarr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry about your prelim, people always do much better in the exam!

I just did a plan for every essay that could come up and I timed them all the time. For the DME, I practised a few and then just memorised background knowledge

A week before the exam I memorised 4 essays - the ones I predicted would come up and in the exam 3 of them came up and the other one I had a plan for so I knew what to write

Good luck!
laurenmhari
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't worry about your prelim, people always do much better in the exam!

I just did a plan for every essay that could come up and I timed them all the time. For the DME, I practised a few and then just memorised background knowledge

A week before the exam I memorised 4 essays - the ones I predicted would come up and in the exam 3 of them came up and the other one I had a plan for so I knew what to write

Good luck!
Okay! Thanks so much for your help, not going to stress out too much about it, just going to learn my plans

Thanks again!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
bwstarr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No problem! Good luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads