The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hi,
I'm planning on going to uni this year, however I'm going to have trouble covering my accommodation costs with the maintenance grant. I'm only entitled to around £3000 a year, yet it will cost £6000 a year? My family earn over 50k, but they're in debt so their earning statistics aren't representative of the actual amount of money they have available. D:
I was going to see if I could just get the full £9000 a year student loan, which would mean I could use that to cover my uni accommodation costs as well,due to the extra subsidizing by the Welsh government that's available - however, I've now learnt that this isn't the case.

Help! How can I afford to go to uni? I'm essentially at least £3000/year down, what can I possibly do to fix this?
Reply 1
Tuition fee funding and maintenance funding are very different and you obviously got these a little confused.

As you maintenance loans, It depends how high your household income actually is. Even at £50,000 students can receive over £5000 per year in maintenance support.

You really need to find cheaper accommodation as the amount you have quoted is quite high for student accommodation. Failing that, it's a case of part time work to supplement your income or looking at applying for a student overdraft. For higher household incomes, there is an expectation that parents support the student and debt isn't taken into account so this isn't always possible. Nothing additional available though.
Hi Wilder Airs,

On this occasion Based on your Household income being over £50,020 threshold you have been assessed correctly and not been eligible for the Welsh Government learning grant. The £9,000 Tuition fee loan and grants are paid directly to the University and are for Tuition fee's only.

If you want to give us a call on 0300 200 4050 we can have a look into your account and check if there is any other funding available for you to apply for.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending