The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Biochemistry Students?

Hey!
I've just accepted my unconditional offer to study biochemistry at Glasgow, starting September 2014. I don't know anyone else who's been successful in applying yet! Just wondering if anyone else was planning on doing biochemistry because I'd quite like to get chatting to a few people before September so I know one or two other students.

I think the course looks really interesting and I'm excited to start!
Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by _emmanic
Hey!
I've just accepted my unconditional offer to study biochemistry at Glasgow, starting September 2014. I don't know anyone else who's been successful in applying yet! Just wondering if anyone else was planning on doing biochemistry because I'd quite like to get chatting to a few people before September so I know one or two other students.

I think the course looks really interesting and I'm excited to start!
Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!

Congratulations on your offer, and accepting it! That's fantastic news! :biggrin: It might be worthwhile having a quick look at the recent pages of the 2014 applicants thread to see if there are any biochemists (or similar) students in there. Hopefully you'll be able to chat to a few people on the same course before you start! :h:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
This won't help much but a friend of mines has a conditional for Biochemistry. I think it's her firm aswell.
I studied Mol and Cell Bio at Glasgow and graduated in June! We pretty much overlapped with Biochems almost constantly so feel free to ask questions!
Original post by thatonethere
I studied Mol and Cell Bio at Glasgow and graduated in June! We pretty much overlapped with Biochems almost constantly so feel free to ask questions!

Hey what was the work load like? Was it pretty intense or was it laid back? Also what are you/ or plan on doing now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Hey what was the work load like? Was it pretty intense or was it laid back? Also what are you/ or plan on doing now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The first two years are common to all the biology courses, so you will have as much as everyone doing a life sciences degree. I actually spent my second year abroad so can't really advise you on what it's like during that time. There is however a large jump in workload and lecture quantity between second and third year. First years fairly laid back as long as you use your time wisely. The biochemistry students did have the most labs out of the biomolecular sciences, (from year 3 onwards) with mol/cell bio closely behind. Our labs overlapped a lot so you get to know more than just your coursemates.

Basically I cannot stress enough how important it is to attend lectures - lots of people will say you can get away with it in the first year and it is true to an extent but continue this into 3rd year and your grades will suffer (from people I know the link is undeniable!). One thing I did was just to spend an hour in the reading rooms after my lectures were done and just rewrite my notes - its simple and doesn't tale a lot of time but its great for checking your understanding before you get stressed out in exam time! On the whole I really enjoyed my degree and got a lot of of it - and I really went out a lot in first year too!

The best thing to do is to get into good study habits early on and maintain them as you go. Naturally you build on your knowledge each year so the more you understand from the previous year the easier it makes to learn new material. I'm not gonna lie - 3rd and 4th year are heavy workloads. But everyones in the same boat - I socialized a lot through university events.

I graduated last June with a 2:1 (took units in Stem cells, Tissue Engineering and Cancer). I'm currently an Assistant Language Teacher (and also teach science in English) in Tsukuba science city in Japan - home to 60% of the nations research institutes! I'm coming back to England in August and studying medicine at Leeds University :smile:
The first two years are common to all the biology courses, so you will have as much as everyone doing a life sciences degree. I actually spent my second year abroad so can't really advise you on what it's like during that time. There is however a large jump in workload and lecture quantity between second and third year. First years fairly laid back as long as you use your time wisely. The biochemistry students did have the most labs out of the biomolecular sciences, (from year 3 onwards) with mol/cell bio closely behind. Our labs overlapped a lot so you get to know more than just your coursemates.

Basically I cannot stress enough how important it is to attend lectures - lots of people will say you can get away with it in the first year and it is true to an extent but continue this into 3rd year and your grades will suffer (from people I know the link is undeniable!). One thing I did was just to spend an hour in the reading rooms after my lectures were done and just rewrite my notes - its simple and doesn't tale a lot of time but its great for checking your understanding before you get stressed out in exam time! On the whole I really enjoyed my degree and got a lot of of it - and I really went out a lot in first year too!

The best thing to do is to get into good study habits early on and maintain them as you go. Naturally you build on your knowledge each year so the more you understand from the previous year the easier it makes to learn new material. I'm not gonna lie - 3rd and 4th year are heavy workloads. But everyones in the same boat - I socialized a lot through university events.

I graduated last June with a 2:1 (took units in Stem cells, Tissue Engineering and Cancer). I'm currently an Assistant Language Teacher (and also teach science in English) in Tsukuba science city in Japan - home to 60% of the nations research institutes! I'm coming back to England in August and studying medicine at Leeds University :smile:

Thanks so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know I'm in the wrong thread here but it's not exactly miles off. Before anyone says I have emailed various uni's and not heard anything back, yet. I was wondering for the likes of Biomedical Science, Anatomy etc what the uni of GGow were like with someone who is doing Higher Biology in S6 (I done it at SG then didn't do it in s5)? Would they likely give a conditional at-least or are they totally against someone doing it in their last year of schooling? My other "science" would be higher geography which I studied in s5 along with 4 additional highers in English, Administration, German and History. My question/concern is whether they accept geo as a science? I know I should've studied sciences in s5 but that's that and I'm not expecting Geog to have been classed as a science, but I have heard of places where it is? This year I study
AH history
AH English
H bio
H modern studies

I know I took subjects which are rather humanities based but since taking bio I've become so interesting in the Science based degrees. If geo isn't classed as one there is always Heriot Watt who only want one science I believe for many biology courses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It's unlikely they would accept Geography as a science HOWEVER if you study a life sciences course at Glasgow there is the Science Fundamentals unit in first year which is specifically aimed at people with no maths/chemistry/physics formal qualification. Approximately 60-100 people take it each year so you may still have a chance. Sorry I can't advise more specifically. Also, Glasgow no longer offer Biomedical sciences - that was my original enrollment however they ceased it in 2010, so I was reverted to biochemistry or mol/cell bio. To be honest there is very little difference between biomedical sciences, biochemistry and mol/cell bio.

Hope that helps.
It's unlikely they would accept Geography as a science HOWEVER if you study a life sciences course at Glasgow there is the Science Fundamentals unit in first year which is specifically aimed at people with no maths/chemistry/physics formal qualification. Approximately 60-100 people take it each year so you may still have a chance. Sorry I can't advise more specifically. Also, Glasgow no longer offer Biomedical sciences - that was my original enrollment however they ceased it in 2010, so I was reverted to biochemistry or mol/cell bio. To be honest there is very little difference between biomedical sciences, biochemistry and mol/cell bio.

Hope that helps.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending