Impudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there. I'm a bit stuck as to what university I should choose as my main university. I've applied for Biological Sciences at Birmingham and Warwick and have received offers from both. This is why I'm stuck, because both universities have clear strengths and weaknesses but I'm still torn between them.

I live close to Warwick (meaning no accommodation fees), and despite its prestige, it doesn't seem that great for Biology as compared to Birmingham (their graduate prospects also seem to pale in comparison). Birmingham, however, seems better in terms of rankings (as far as my subject is concerned) and in graduate prospects for Biology, but I will have to apply for accommodation, which I hear is somewhat expensive. It also means that I will no longer possess the advantage of using whatever facilities I have at home that the accommodation will not have. Of course there is always the choice of firming one as my main and the other as an insurance, but I was hoping to reserve my insurance for another university that has lower grade requirements, in the circumstance that I do not attain the required grades (the course requirements are ABB for both Birmingham and Warwick, by the way).

That about sums it up; some advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I were you I would defiantly choose Birmingham, because part of going to university is moving away from your family and becoming independent. Also it does depend on your family's household income and how much Maintenance Loan/Grant you are able to get, since it will be harder to live away from home if you cannot get a decent amount. And from what you have mentioned above it does seem that Birmingham is a better choice for you personally such as ranking and graduate prospects as well as other things.

However the choice is up to you, and if you still can't decide write both university's on a piece a paper, put it in a hat, and the one you draw is the one you go to.
username1221364
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Impudent)
Hi there. I'm a bit stuck as to what university I should choose as my main university. I've applied for Biological Sciences at Birmingham and Warwick and have received offers from both. This is why I'm stuck, because both universities have clear strengths and weaknesses but I'm still torn between them.

I live close to Warwick (meaning no accommodation fees), and despite its prestige, it doesn't seem that great for Biology as compared to Birmingham (their graduate prospects also seem to pale in comparison). Birmingham, however, seems better in terms of rankings (as far as my subject is concerned) and in graduate prospects for Biology, but I will have to apply for accommodation, which I hear is somewhat expensive. It also means that I will no longer possess the advantage of using whatever facilities I have at home that the accommodation will not have. Of course there is always the choice of firming one as my main and the other as an insurance, but I was hoping to reserve my insurance for another university that has lower grade requirements, in the circumstance that I do not attain the required grades (the course requirements are ABB for both Birmingham and Warwick, by the way).

That about sums it up; some advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds to me that you've chosen. You sound more enthused by Birmingham. As the previous response says, you'll be able to enjoy being independent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Impudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by David B)
...part of going to university is moving away from your family and becoming independent. .
You raise a good point; it's something that a lot of students have to face while at university. As for my household income, it's enough to pay for the accommodation at Birmingham, but my parents are more interested in me going to Warwick to avoid this. As you have stated, there is also the possibility of a grant if I do go to Warwick, which is equally as tempting.

(Original post by David B)
And from what you have mentioned above it does seem that Birmingham is a better choice for you personally such as ranking and graduate prospects as well as other things
That's one of the main issues for me: Birmingham is a great uni for Biology and will give me a taste of independence (as you've stated above), but accommodation (expensive accommodation at that) will have to be paid for. On the other hand, Warwick isn't as great as Birmingham for Biology but its reputation carries a lot of weight (or so my parents say), and my parents won't need to pay for accommodation.
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Impudent)
That's one of the main issues for me: Birmingham is a great uni for Biology and will give me a taste of independence (as you've stated above), but accommodation (expensive accommodation at that) will have to be paid for. On the other hand, Warwick isn't as great as Birmingham for Biology but its reputation carries a lot of weight (or so my parents say), and my parents won't need to pay for accommodation.
Well it does depend on how much your parents earn, so if they earn a combined total of less than £25,000, you should be able to receive the full amount of the Maintenance Loan and Grant along with bursary's the university gives, which they have to give to students since they're charging £9,000 for tuition fees and have to give support to students.
The system really is messed up with people coming from wealthier backgrounds receiving less money to support themselves, and with people with parents with less money able to receive much higher amounts of money towards there education. The government thinks that parents who have a high income are able to give their child money to support themselves with isn't true in some cases leaving many people struggling when they're at university.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you think the course at Birmingham is better, then you should go for that. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...port-can-I-get Have a look here to see how much support you will be able to get. If you can't afford halls, then there are other options, such as living in a shared house for first year.

Even if your parents earn over £42K, you will still be entitled to a £5.5k maintenance loan, which should cover your rent and give you a bit left over. If this isn't quite enough to live on, you will probably be able to find a part time job to help fund your studies. You can also work over the summer to save up money if you don't want to work during term time, and hopefully your parents will help you out a bit. If they earn less than £42K, then you will also get a non-repayable grant of up to £3.3K. You may also get a bursary from the university.

If you want to move out, then there are options to be able to make it happen, and try not to make a decision based on finances until you have investigated the financial system properly.
Folion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Reading between the lines it sounds to me like your parents want you to stay at home either

a) Because they want you to live at home as they might worry about you being away and/or miss you loads

or

b) Because they fear the debt.

incidentally this is me speaking as a parent with one son already through uni and the other in his first year. This is also me speaking as an ex student who went to uni and studied from home.

All else being possible go for the best course or the one you like best. Forget over all uni reputation focus more on how the uni shapes up for your particular subject. Which course has the modules you like best and so on.

There's a lot of good advice on this thread about covering your expenses and for the vast majority of people the debts and expenses are affordable if you live prudently especially as you don't pay anything back until you're earning decently.

Putting aside the aspect of which is the better course there are benefits to moving away from home and I wish that I had been able to when I was a student. My parents weren't awful or anything but I do feel I missed out on the independence and learning some life skills at an earlier age. My younger son who is in his first year goes to a local uni and could commute but he is spending his first year in halls to get some life skills and has chosen to spend his second year in a shared house with his new friends. We told him he has the option to study from home if he wants to. I think another value of learning to live away from home is that it gives you the confidence and abilities to apply for placements (if applicable) away from home and take up internships without the worry of how you're going to cope re living.

I know my geography isn't the best but Warwick isn't a million miles from Birmingham is it? You'd be able to travel home often for sure, it's not like you live in Bath and want to study in Aberdeen
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads