Referencing sci fi in physics personal statement?

Watch
bobbricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Out of curiosity, would referencing a book that's non fiction but sci fi related (e.g. The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss, The Science of Doctor Who etc) be a bad idea to mention in your personal statement when applying for physics (especially for top unis)? I don't plan to do this, but was just wondering... :rolleyes:
yepyepyep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bobbricks)
Out of curiosity, would referencing a book that's non fiction but sci fi related (e.g. The Physics of Star Trek by Lawrence Krauss, The Science of Doctor Who etc) be a bad idea to mention in your personal statement when applying for physics (especially for top unis)? I don't plan to do this, but was just wondering... :rolleyes:
I don't think so, provided the Physics in them is solid. Admissions tutors aren't going to be expecting you to be reading academic papers, those sound like the sorts of books a teenager interested in Physics would read. I'd be careful when referring to them though to be clear about what they contain, you could say something like you were interested by how such-and-such principle or law could be applied to your favourite show and elaborate.
OliverG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wouldn't see it as a bad idea, but like everything else, it depends on how you do/did it.

If you said "omg teh sciences r teh greetest imagine if that wuz realz omg!" then maybe not, but if you, for example, talked about sci-fi and how it in some cases is able to become reality in a matter of years through advancements in the cutting edge of physics, along with Moore's law and so on, then that would probably be a good differentiator in your statement, and could only really be a good thing.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bobbricks)
No harm at all in including it in your personal statement with a caveat: you must definitely say why you have included them. Do not do it because you think it looks cool and sounds impressive. You have to back up your statments showing that you really have thought about it and can answer questions at interview if they decide to pick up on it.

Do your homework and work out which theories are plausible and which are not and why not. For instance: is faster than light speed possible? How does that sit with Einsteins equations that the speed of light cannot be exceeded? What is a tachyon? Have they been observed? What does it mean in terms of the energy required to accelerate an object close to the speed of light? etc. What does 'warp speed' really mean? i.e. what is the concept of warping space? etc.

Make sure you research them so you undertand the physics behind them and can talk confidently based in fact and not simply in fictional terms.

If you can do that, then there is only good that can come out of including it in your personal statement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
45.31%
Take autumn exams (23)
35.94%
Look for a job (1)
1.56%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
3.13%
Take a year out (6)
9.38%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise