How to get an A* in GCSE French Writing?

Watch
GreenEnglander
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What do I need to include in order to get an A* in my coming Writing Controlled Assessment?
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As many tenses as you can. Ensure you also try and use reflexive verbs etc. Also, include tonnes of great vocab and make sure it's structurally and gramatically sound.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mossysilver
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello GreenEnglander,

I didn't actually take GCSE French but I did take GCSE Spanish so it may change depending on the different exam boards. If you know which exam board your school uses for your course, please click the corresponding link for the specifications on which they base their mark schemes (it should also include a vocabulary list which you should try to learn.)

+ AQA French - http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/french/gcse/french-4655
+ Edexcel French - http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gc...s/default.aspx
+ OCR French - http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...130-from-2012/

These are the only exam boards that I am familiar with, or at least these are the exam boards that are used in our school for different subjects.

I took the OCR GCSE Spanish course and these are the grade boundaries of the whole course.

A* - 360 or 90%
A - 320 or 80%
B - 280 or 70%
C - 240 or 60%
D - 200 or 50%
E - 160 or 40%
F - 120 or 30%
G - 80 or 20%
U - 0 or 0%

So in total, we have to achieve 360 marks out of the possible 400 marks in our course to receive an A* grade. We are assessed in four categories, our speech, listening, reading and writing skills.

AO1 - Understand spoken language - Listening
AO2 - Communicate in speech - Speaking
AO3 - Understand written language - Reading
AO4 - Communicate in writing - Writing

These are the four categories, written again as I am about to introduce you to the weightings of these four skills on our GCSE course. Also, I've just realized that if you are doing the GCSE OCR course in either French, Spanish or German, this will definitely apply to you.

AO1 - 20% of GCSE course grade
AO2 - 30% of GCSE course grade
AO3 - 20% of GCSE course grade
AO4 - 30% of GCSE course grade

This means that the key skills you will need to revise the most are your speaking and writing.

This is pasted from the official OCR specifications and describes what you need to achieve an A grade (not an A* grade but I guess you would just have to improve on this slightly...)

+ Candidates show understanding of a variety of spoken language that contains some complex language and relates to a range of contexts.
+ They can identify main points, details and points of view and draw simple conclusions. + They initiate and develop conversations and discussions, present information and narrate events.
+ They express and explain ideas and points of view, and produce extended sequences of speech using a variety of vocabulary, structures and verb tenses.
+ They speak confidently, with reasonably accurate pronunciation and intonation.
+ The message is clear but there may be some errors, especially when they use more complex structures.
+ They show understanding of a variety of written texts relating to a range of contexts.
+ They understand some unfamiliar language and extract meaning from more complex language and extended texts.
+ They can identify main points, extract details, recognise points of view, attitudes and emotions and draw simple conclusions.
+ They write for different purposes and contexts about real or imaginary subjects.
+ They express and explain ideas and points of view. They use a variety of vocabulary, structures and verb tenses.
+ Their spelling and grammar are generally accurate.
+ The message is clear but there may be some errors, especially when they write more complex sentences.
I hope this is an informative and useful reply.

Sorry that it is so long,
- mossysilver
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (32)
31.68%
No - I have already returned home (10)
9.9%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (23)
22.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (7)
6.93%
No - I live at home during term anyway (29)
28.71%

Watched Threads