Maths
English Lit
English Lang
Chem
Bio
Physics
German
History
What I want to know is are these enough GCSEs to be able to apply for a top Russell group uni? I'm hoping to do economics as a degree.
As well as knowing if I have enough GCSEs, I would also like to know what are the grades unis like LSE and Warwick look for?
I'm aiming for all A's as a minimum
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most russell group unis do not care about your GCSEs, LSE is one of the exceptions, to be a competitive applicant for LSE you should be aiming for mostly A*s. If your school won't let you do more than 8 GCSEs you should include that on your UCAS reference when the time comes.
Original post by m0hd_J
Hi all
I am doing eight GCSE's. They are:
Maths
English Lit
English Lang
Chem
Bio
Physics
German
History
What I want to know is are these enough GCSEs to be able to apply for a top Russell group uni? I'm hoping to do economics as a degree.
As well as knowing if I have enough GCSEs, I would also like to know what are the grades unis like LSE and Warwick look for?
I'm aiming for all A's as a minimum
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to individual university sites and look up the grades currently required for Economics. I believe you will also discover that A-level Maths is essential for a BSc in Economics, though there are some BA degrees that don't require it.

As for GCSEs, I wouldn't agree that good universities don't care about them, but neither do they have to be all A-A* to study somewhere decent.

And don't get hung up on the Russell Group. All Russell Group unis are 'good' but not all good unis are in the Russell Group. For example, St Andrews, Lancaster, Surrey and Kent are all non-members but have decent reputations for Economics.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Go to individual university sites and look up the grades currently required for Economics. I believe you will also discover that A-level Maths is essential for a BSc in Economics, though there are some BA degrees that don't require it.

As for GCSEs, I wouldn't agree that good universities don't care about them, but neither do they have to be all A-A* to study somewhere decent.

And don't get hung up on the Russell Group. All Russell Group unis are 'good' but not all good unis are in the Russell Group. For example, St Andrews, Lancaster, Surrey and Kent are all non-members but have decent reputations for Economics.

Thanks.
Do you think they would mind the fact I only have eight GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
Thanks.
Do you think they would mind the fact I only have eight GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it, but I don't work in admissions. Is there are reason you took 'only' eight?
Reply 5
I doubt it, but I don't work in admissions. Is there are reason you took 'only' eight?

My school can only fit eight subjects in the timetable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
My school can only fit eight subjects in the timetable

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does your school perform?
Reply 7
How does your school perform?

Normally only around 75% get five a-c's. I think my year will be better though!
My school is a comprehensive. Last year was the worst results for the school as only 69% passed five subjects.
Does this make a difference? I defo think that my year will be better than most if I'm honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by m0hd_J
My school is a comprehensive. Last year was the worst results for the school as only 69% passed five subjects.
Does this make a difference? I defo think that my year will be better than most if I'm honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worse everyone else does the better you look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by ross95
The worse everyone else does the better you look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha true, that's why I've been hoping my year fails... But either way, my schools history if results has always been average/below average
Maybe once we go slightly above just being average but that's all!! Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J

Posted from TSR Mobile

75% is good, I think the average is usually around 53%.
I believe with some of the proposed changes to AS structure, GCSEs could be more important to you when applying. There's no hard requirement to have a specific number of GCSEs to get into a good university. The most important thing is to get good grades in English language and maths- most universities will ask for at least a B or a C in these two subjects for any course.

8 GCSEs should be enough to get in anywhere provided you get good grades in most/all of them, but make sure your referee makes it clear this is all you were allowed to take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending