PTLLS LEVEL 4?? Further Ed (Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector)

Watch
PrimaryT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

Does anyone know if the PTLLS LEVEL 4?? (Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector) course is suitable to teach in colleges? in addition to my degree? I've read you just need a level 3 in a subject then this course to be able to teach it??

or is this outdated? Just wanted to check xx
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It used to be that sometimes a college would take you with a ptlls and then other times they may prefer you to do/have ctlls andor dtlls as well.

At the moment these qualifications are being replaced by those with other names so I would urge you to find out more from some colleges near you.

Vocational subjects such as beauty and catering require you to have level three to teach but I'm not sure how it works for teaching academic subjects like a levels.

(Original post by PrimaryT)
Hi,

Does anyone know if the PTLLS LEVEL 4?? (Preparing to teach in the life long learning sector) course is suitable to teach in colleges? in addition to my degree? I've read you just need a level 3 in a subject then this course to be able to teach it??

or is this outdated? Just wanted to check xx
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just to add...I believe that if you train to teach secondary school, you can use your pgce to teach in a college but I'm not sure that with a dtlls you can teach in a secondary school.

For this reason, as much as I would prefer to teach in a college, I hope to do pgce secondary to widen my options as id rather be teaching in some capacity than not.
PrimaryT
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by laurakate1988)
Just to add...I believe that if you train to teach secondary school, you can use your pgce to teach in a college but I'm not sure that with a dtlls you can teach in a secondary school.

For this reason, as much as I would prefer to teach in a college, I hope to do pgce secondary to widen my options as id rather be teaching in some capacity than not.
Well if you'd prefer college teaching hun thats a lot easier to get into than school teaching, you can do a PGDE and they dont require maths for entry you should ring and ask about it hun but my friend who has it said she is qualified to teach age 14 plus xx
beautifulbigmacs
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I meet the entry requirements for either pgce or pgde (unless the uni doesn't like me lol)...trouble is I was all psyched up for training to teach in a college after three years in my industry (beauty) but I know a lot of people experienced in teaching beauty who have had their hours cut or can't find work and considering that less funding seems available to train to teach in college then I'm anxious about doing all that training only to be back to square one. I'm just hoping that I can get more milage and thus an increased chance of getting a financial return in training to teach secondary (non beauty of course) and then still apply to beautu teaching roles thereafter.

If I wasn't so anxious to leave my min wage job options at the moment I'd probably train to teach in college but I feel I need that bit more piece of mind that any teacher training I do will be aa versatile as possible.

Back to your question...doing assessor's qualifications alongside a ptlls can give you an advantage

(Original post by PrimaryT)
Well if you'd prefer college teaching hun thats a lot easier to get into than school teaching, you can do a PGDE and they dont require maths for entry you should ring and ask about it hun but my friend who has it said she is qualified to teach age 14 plus xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (136)
28.45%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.46%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.41%
No - I live at home during term anyway (139)
29.08%

Watched Threads