The Student Room Group

Is there any way to complete GCSE English by end of this school year.

This is a situation that I regret very much being in.

I flopped my GCSEs and I did not pass my English. I have now completed the BTEC in business and achieved a D*DD grade and I am currently on a gap year in Australia. I applied to various unis and the ones I wanted to get in to the most require at least a C grade in English. I deluded myself into thinking they would let me in without retaking the gcse.

They rejected me saying that I could not be accepted because I don't have gcse english unless I gain the qualification somehow before the course starts in September. I will be back in the UK in early July. Are there any fast track courses where I can just take the exams. I don't want to take another gap year.

Thank you for any advice.

What am my options for taking gcse english next year and reapplying again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Maybe you could take ielts English exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexh42

I flopped my GCSEs and I did not pass my English. I have now completed the BTEC in business and achieved a D*DD grade and I am currently on a gap year in Australia. I applied to various unis and the ones I wanted to get in to the most require at least a C grade in English. I deluded myself into thinking they would let me in without retaking the gcse.

They rejected me saying that I could not be accepted because I don't have gcse english unless I gain the qualification somehow before the course starts in September. I will be back in the UK in early July. Are there any fast track courses where I can just take the exams. I don't want to take another gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nearly all GCSE courses have an element of coursework and some have controlled assessments which require you to be supervised whilst doing them. In addition, the exams themselves are in May and June, so you won't be in the country to sit them. I'm no expert on the practicalities of sitting the iGCSE in other countries, but you could try and find a centre to take you in Australia, but in all honesty, I think it's a lost cause this year, and you might as well resign yourself to taking another gap year and doing it then.
Original post by muzika
Maybe you could take ielts English exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a substitute for GCSE for a native speaker, unless the university is prepared to make a special case, and I think it unlikely that they will be.
Reply 4
I think the major issue for you might be coursework if you're not in the UK because I think it all has to be done under controlled conditions. I have no idea about iGCSEs though so they might be worth a look.

If you do need to take another year out, have a look at the Sheffield college. They do an online course although you do have to go to Sheffield three times over the year to do the coursework and the exams. I know this isn't in your plans but it may be useful information to have if needed.

Do you have a C or higher in literature at all? I had my masters before I finished my English GCSE and although some places said no without language, I did get offers at other places with just literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexh42

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are Cambridge O Levels that are 100% exam based. I don't think you will be able to do them in Australia but most countries in the Far East will have a centre (often the local British Council).
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to put studies on hold then for another year.
How do I go about retaking my gcse, do I need lessons even though my English has improved a great deal?

Should I just take the exams? Can I ask my secondary school to admit me to sitting the exams there? Well it cost a lot of money?

I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to retake english since you need it for so many things.

Also, suggestions for how I should spend my year would be good. Won't be able to go abroad this time obviously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Reply 8
Original post by alexh42
I'm surprised there isn't an easy way to retake english since you need it for so many things.

Well, stop and think about what you're asking. You're expecting someone to put on an exam for you months after the GCSE period! They'll have to create a new exam paper just for you - everyone else who needs it will have already resat, but they can't give you the same paper in case you cheat (either intentionally or accidentally). They also can't use your paper again in case you share it. Then they'll need special markers to mark just your paper, and a special way of transporting it securely, not to mention the fact that you'll need your own exam centre and invigilators etc.

There are loads of ways to resit GCSE English (and maths, actually). Some colleges don't do any other GCSEs but will let people take those two. You just have to do it when the exam boards say, and follow their rules.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to put studies on hold then for another year.
How do I go about retaking my gcse, do I need lessons even though my English has improved a great deal?

I would strongly recommend taking lessons. Part of any GCSE - or any exam - is not just knowing the subject in general, but knowing the specific things that you will be tested on. I'm in the last year of my degree and recently I had to complete a level 2 (same level as GCSE) course for work, and although in general I found it easy there were bits I didn't know.

It is up to you, but if you fail you'll need another year out.

Should I just take the exams? Can I ask my secondary school to admit me to sitting the exams there? Well it cost a lot of money?

Yes, you can ask your previous school. They may not allow external candidates, but you need to find out. Prices vary between exam centres, so check out local colleges and other schools to see if you can find a better deal. Some people on TSR have said they paid as low as £25 per paper, but others report being charged £200+.

Also, suggestions for how I should spend my year would be good. Won't be able to go abroad this time obviously.

What subject do you want to do at uni? Can you do something related to that? You could work and save money for uni, and then see if you could volunteer in your spare time.
Reply 9
Go have a look here:

http://www.online.sheffcol.ac.uk/index.cfm?ParentID=1e1efd0c-b5b1-4f81-8fb4-b110d6930e83

I retook mine with them last year and didn't have to pay anything. You do have to do work but it's mostly online in your own time. I did have to go to Sheffield a few times (from London) but it was pretty simple. Don't forget if you do just do the exams, you also have to get your coursework marked and unless you can do texts you already know then you have a disadvantage if you haven't studied them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Well, stop and think about what you're asking. You're expecting someone to put on an exam for you months after the GCSE period! They'll have to create a new exam paper just for you - everyone else who needs it will have already resat, but they can't give you the same paper in case you cheat (either intentionally or accidentally). They also can't use your paper again in case you share it. Then they'll need special markers to mark just your paper, and a special way of transporting it securely, not to mention the fact that you'll need your own exam centre and invigilators etc.

There are loads of ways to resit GCSE English (and maths, actually). Some colleges don't do any other GCSEs but will let people take those two. You just have to do it when the exam boards say, and follow their rules.

I would strongly recommend taking lessons. Part of any GCSE - or any exam - is not just knowing the subject in general, but knowing the specific things that you will be tested on. I'm in the last year of my degree and recently I had to complete a level 2 (same level as GCSE) course for work, and although in general I found it easy there were bits I didn't know.

It is up to you, but if you fail you'll need another year out.

Yes, you can ask your previous school. They may not allow external candidates, but you need to find out. Prices vary between exam centres, so check out local colleges and other schools to see if you can find a better deal. Some people on TSR have said they paid as low as £25 per paper, but others report being charged £200+.

What subject do you want to do at uni? Can you do something related to that? You could work and save money for uni, and then see if you could volunteer in your spare time.

I would like to retake my GCSE english and maths as I only achieved grade C.im doing my A2's.i need advise please regarding where to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest