The Student Room Group

Should I do AAT after my degree or should I go straight into ACCA?

Hi everyone,

I graduated last year in Psychology with a first, but I really want to go into accounting which I realised after my degree. But I don't regret my degree choice at all because I enjoyed it a lot and I got a good grade from it! :smile:

Anyway, I have been doing some research into AAT and ACCA and at first I thought I should go straight for ACCA but I see that it assumes some kind of previous accounting knowledge. So I have been thinking of doing AAT first because I would like to get the first step into working in accounting environment too which I believe I would achieve slightly faster than if I were to do an ACCA.

I did look into accounting via the graduate route and I have applied to many schemes but unfortunately tend not to get through all of the testing phases. So, I recently applied for two apprenticeships in AAT which looked pretty good am I likely to be rejected because I am potentially over-qualified in comparison to younger students?

I would appreciate any advise or experiences about doing AAT or ACCA or both! :smile:

Thank you.
I would recommend doing AAT (don't bother with level 2). It gives you a good foundation and gets the basics in place. Once you know the basics then it's not as hard to work out the rest.
Mate you got a first class degree! It does not matter what you did your degree in (some people in my firm did politics and another did biology etc).

Go straight to ACCA or ACA as you get a higher salary and you learn from scratch so it would be ok.

Also since you got a degree it may actually be harder to get onto AAT instead of a graduate scheme by the way.
Hi Cyberfizz,

AAT is a great starting point if you are looking to get into accounting. Maybe an Apprenticeship is not the correct route to take; but there are many different ways to approach the qualification. You can choose to study whilst working, looking for relevant employment that may also fund the qualification. Also, studying from home and building your skills then applying for relevant work. Depending on your determination you can complete the qualification from 2-3 years.

If you would like more information please feel free to call me on 0207 397 3135

Many thanks and good luck :smile:
Original post by novadragon849
Mate you got a first class degree! It does not matter what you did your degree in (some people in my firm did politics and another did biology etc).

Go straight to ACCA or ACA as you get a higher salary and you learn from scratch so it would be ok.

Also since you got a degree it may actually be harder to get onto AAT instead of a graduate scheme by the way.

hey buddy, i am currently doing a business management degree with basic modules of financial and management accounting. as my degree is strictly not 'accounting and finance' related. i was wondering if i wanted to do CIMA or ACCA, would it not be harder for me as i don't have an accounting degree or would they teach me from scratch like a university or collage would?
Original post by AAT Advisor
Hi Cyberfizz,

AAT is a great starting point if you are looking to get into accounting. Maybe an Apprenticeship is not the correct route to take; but there are many different ways to approach the qualification. You can choose to study whilst working, looking for relevant employment that may also fund the qualification. Also, studying from home and building your skills then applying for relevant work. Depending on your determination you can complete the qualification from 2-3 years.

If you would like more information please feel free to call me on 0207 397 3135

Many thanks and good luck :smile:

Hi,

im currently studying business management and will graduate 2025. i want to take a career path in accounting either financial or management. in my course i have done 1 financial module and 1 management. what isyour advice if i want to study accounting but not necessarily have the 'accounting and finance degree'. im not sure how i can study ACCA or ACA or CIMA with a business degree instead of an accounting degree
Reply 6
Original post by faisalafridi1
Hi,

im currently studying business management and will graduate 2025. i want to take a career path in accounting either financial or management. in my course i have done 1 financial module and 1 management. what isyour advice if i want to study accounting but not necessarily have the 'accounting and finance degree'. im not sure how i can study ACCA or ACA or CIMA with a business degree instead of an accounting degree

The person you are asking hasn't posted for 9 years so may not respond!

Lots of people start ACA/ ACCA or CIMA without an accounting degree - probably the majority and certainly the case for people starting these courses in the UK.
Original post by ajj2000
The person you are asking hasn't posted for 9 years so may not respond!

Lots of people start ACA/ ACCA or CIMA without an accounting degree - probably the majority and certainly the case for people starting these courses in the UK.

Hi mate,

Would you think It’s harder if I don’t have a degree in accounting? Or do they teach you everything while doing ACCA or ACA?
Reply 8
Original post by faisalafridi1
Hi mate,

Would you think It’s harder if I don’t have a degree in accounting? Or do they teach you everything while doing ACCA or ACA?

harder to pass the exams? No - you just have to start at the beginning and sit more of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending