£300,000 a week?! Reasonable or Ridiculous? Watch

Azzer11
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What do people think of Manchester United striker earning £300,000 a week on his new contract for a job that largely includes kicking a ball around when there are doctors and soldiers constantly facing cuts and earning less. What about those who earn less than £400 a week and struggle to survive? Do you think there should be a limit on sporting salaries? Discuss.
there's too much love
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think this thread has been done to death and you should have used the search function.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just think it's funny that ROONEY of all footballers is getting paid that.
Red Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There should be no limit, ultimately the money in football should be given to the players but they could help the fans out by lowering ticket prices and the like.

Waste of money for Man United though but doesn't bother me it will just accelerate their downfall.
Azzer11
Rep:
?
(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
I just think it's funny that ROONEY of all footballers is getting paid that.
Yeah that's true. I think it's the fact he's so important to Man United and he was bound to be offered big contacts elsewhere.
Autistic Merit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At least he will pay a lot of tax on that salary.
ChrissM
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Azzer11)
What do people think of Manchester United striker earning £300,000 a week on his new contract for a job that largely includes kicking a ball around when there are doctors and soldiers constantly facing cuts and earning less. What about those who earn less than £400 a week and struggle to survive? Do you think there should be a limit on sporting salaries? Discuss.
Who are any of us to say how a private company should spend their money? A limit on sporting salaries wouldn't mean that doctors or soldiers or any other public sector worker (or any worker for that matter) would earn more money. Football clubs, especially those in the Premier League, are largely owned by foreigners, so if they want to pay footballers incredibly high salaries, which they then pay a lot of tax on (almost 45%), then that's fine by me.
metalthrashin'mad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah that's true. I think it's the fact he's so important to Man United and he was bound to be offered big contacts elsewhere.
What I don't understand is why he needed more than £250k. With my crappy minimum wage job, in a week he'd have earned 25 years of my wages. What can he not afford on £250k that he can now do wiht £300k? If he demanded that money, then Man UTD should have just called his bluff and said, the offers £250K, or here's the door. It's not like you'd turn it down is it?

It's a shame they get paid so much, because tickets, merchandise and sky football/BT Sport is so damned expensive. Maybe they should get half the money and cut all of those by half! It's ridiculous screwing over people who don't make much money who want to follow their team, when players are getting such ridiculous sums, considering they don't actually do anything of any real importance.
dancurzon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Less than £400 a week? My mum has 3 kids and is a single parent and she only earns £550 a month. We're fine and we're not suffering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Azzer11
Rep:
?
(Original post by dancurzon)
Less than £400 a week? My mum has 3 kids and is a single parent and she only earns £550 a month. We're fine and we're not suffering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She should get more with 3 kids
Straight up G
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not again
dancurzon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She works full time:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (69)
27.94%
1 (40)
16.19%
2 (40)
16.19%
3 (35)
14.17%
4 (17)
6.88%
5 (20)
8.1%