N3RO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So now that I've gotten your attention here goes...

So I'm currently in Year 11 (at a Grammar school if that matters at all) and have about a week to hand in my A level options. I've decided to take Chemistry and Biology for certain, for the universities I'm thinking of applying for they seem essential and I enjoy the subjects (Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL). Anyway I'm trying to pick my 3rd and 4th AS subjects, I was thinking of 2 out of Physics, History, French or Maths (in order of how badly I want to do the subject). The general consensus seems to be to do whichever subject gets you the grade however I am almost certain I will get top grades for whichever subject I do, my question is whether it is beneficial to do any particular subject and why? I know that UCL likes seeing a contrasting subject (i.e. History) but apart from that out of say Maths and Physics are there any advantages/disadvantages of doing either over another?

Your help is much appreciated
~Nero
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N3RO)

So I'm currently in Year 11 (at a Grammar school if that matters at all) and have about a week to hand in my A level options. I've decided to take Chemistry and Biology for certain, for the universities I'm thinking of applying for they seem essential and I enjoy the subjects (Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL). Anyway I'm trying to pick my 3rd and 4th AS subjects, I was thinking of 2 out of Physics, History, French or Maths (in order of how badly I want to do the subject). The general consensus seems to be to do whichever subject gets you the grade however I am almost certain I will get top grades for whichever subject I do, my question is whether it is beneficial to do any particular subject and why? I know that UCL likes seeing a contrasting subject (i.e. History) but apart from that out of say Maths and Physics are there any advantages/disadvantages of doing either over another?

~Nero
There are no advantages of doing any of those subjects over the other. Do Physics and History if those are the two you want to do most.

If you want to apply to Cambridge, you have to do 3 sciences (or 2 + maths), though.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N3RO)

~Nero
Cambridge specifically request 3 sciences. As you've pointed out, UCL has stated a preference for a contrasting subject. Other than that, there is nothing to suggest anything other than biology, chemistry and 2 others is beneficial.

Outside of medical applications: most people i knew found languages and history a lot of work compared with the sciences (for someone good at science who doesn't need to revise ceaselessly for it), and taking physics/maths may provide a small amount of overlap. On the other hand, knowing a second language is really useful and i wish i'd done so as its so hard to pick it up later on!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)

Outside of medical applications: most people i knew found languages and history a lot of work compared with the sciences (for someone good at science who doesn't need to revise ceaselessly for it), and taking physics/maths may provide a small amount of overlap. On the other hand, knowing a second language is really useful and i wish i'd done so as its so hard to pick it up later on!
Interesting. I found my German A-level fairly straightforward and did far less work for it than for Maths!

OP, you would have all the options open to you by doing one of maths/physics and one non-science, but other combinations would still be fine. I wouldn't recommend applying to 3 BMAT unis though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Cambridge specifically request 3 sciences. As you've pointed out, UCL has stated a preference for a contrasting subject. Other than that, there is nothing to suggest anything other than biology, chemistry and 2 others is beneficial.

I believe I may be required to do Physics or Maths so I might as well choose Physics as I enjoy it more. I am in fact a native German speaker so I guess I tick the '2nd Language' box? History's essay writing skills may prove useful, not sure but I guess Physics and History as 3rd and 4th isn't too bad
Thank you!
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Omg are you hurt??
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Interesting. I found my German A-level fairly straightforward and did far less work for it than for Maths!

OP, you would have all the options open to you by doing one of maths/physics and one non-science, but other combinations would still be fine. I wouldn't recommend applying to 3 BMAT unis though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah 3 sciences for Cambridge it is. I reckon Chem, Bio, Physics and History ought to do the trick! I guess I still have a bit of time to think about where to apply to but if I acquire the grades I expect to attain then Oxbridge, UCL and perhaps Edinburgh? I've seen the BMAT and I think the 'on the spot' concept of it is actually somewhat appealing. Does Edinburgh have a BMAT?
Thanks for your input!
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Omg are you hurt??
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N3RO)
I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean?
Generally when someone shouts something like "Medics, I need your help!!!" it's because they're injured in some way.
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Generally when someone shouts something like "Medics, I need your help!!!" it's because they're injured in some way.
Hahaha, my bad - I was just a bit stressed out about my options etc. I suppose the medics are putting my mind at ease
NinjaNerdfighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N3RO)
Yeah 3 sciences for Cambridge it is. I reckon Chem, Bio, Physics and History ought to do the trick! I guess I still have a bit of time to think about where to apply to but if I acquire the grades I expect to attain then Oxbridge, UCL and perhaps Edinburgh? I've seen the BMAT and I think the 'on the spot' concept of it is actually somewhat appealing. Does Edinburgh have a BMAT?
Thanks for your input!
What do you mean by on the spot?
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
What do you mean by on the spot?
Well it's split into 3 sections. The first is very much based on aptitude - the way you analyse things I suppose. The second section is very much general knowledge (and a lot from A level syllabus) and the last section is essay based. None of these things require very much, if any revision and that sort of test appeals to me.
NinjaNerdfighter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by N3RO)
Well it's split into 3 sections. The first is very much based on aptitude - the way you analyse things I suppose. The second section is very much general knowledge (and a lot from A level syllabus) and the last section is essay based. None of these things require very much, if any revision and that sort of test appeals to me.
I sort of understand what you mean but I would highly recommend you revise for the BMAT (when you come to it). For the first section practice helps so you understand how to approach these problems and for the second section there may well be stuff you haven't covered before.
N3RO
Rep:
?
(Original post by NinjaNerdfighter)
I sort of understand what you mean but I would highly recommend you revise for the BMAT (when you come to it). For the first section practice helps so you understand how to approach these problems and for the second section there may well be stuff you haven't covered before.
I will certainly take that on board, although I do have at least a year until I need to start worrying about that?
Anyway Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads