Why don't the electric field lines represent the paths of particles?? Watch

>>MMM<<
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My book states 'Electric Field Lines Are Not Paths of Particles! Electric field lines represent the field at various locations. Except in very special cases,they do not represent the path of a charged particle moving in an electric field.'

Can someone please care to explain this to me? Im very confused? Aren't the electric field lines supposed to show the direction of the force on a small positive charge? :confused:
RoyalBlue7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it shows the direction of the electrical force on a positive charged particle.

The book is saying, I reckon, that it shouldn't be confused with the path the positive particle takes. For example if a positive charged particles enters a uniform electric field with a certain velocity it doesn't stop, turn and go along the electric field line.

But I've always wondered if a positive charged particle is placed at REST would it follow the electric field line? :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoyalBlue7)
But I've always wondered if a positive charged particle is placed at REST would it follow the electric field line? :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it would as long as the field lines remain straight lines and do not deviate:

Don't forget that force is a vector quantity, it has both magnitude and direction. A stationary particle will accelerate in the same direction as the applied force - basic Newtons laws

However, if the particle is already moving wrt the electric field, then the particle already has momentum (mass x velocity) and the trajectory of the particle will therefore be the vector product of the two. This is exactly analogous to the way gravity affects the trajectory of an object moving relative to a gravitational field. Let go of a ball held stationary above the ground and it accelerates straight down along the gravitational field lines. Throw the ball parallel to the ground and what happens to it's trajectory? Ballistics in other words.

Don't forget that if the electric field is not uniform, then the force on the particle is changing as it moves through the field and so the trajectory must also change.
Stonebridge
Badges: 10
Report 5 years ago
OP. If a charge entered a uniform electric field that was at right angles to its direction of motion (like in an oscilloscope) are you expecting it to suddenly do a sharp right angle turn and move along the lines of force? Common sense says NO.
It would actually move in a smooth curved parabolic path.
Martin Hogbin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A charge particle will not follow electric field lines for two reasons.1) All real charged particles have mass. This means that, although the electric force on a charged particle will be along the the field lines, its momentum will make it tend to continue in a straight line. 2) Once the particle gets moving it will also be subject to a magnetic force. The vector sum of the electric and magnetic forces is known as the Lorentz force.
Martin Hogbin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ignore my reason 2 above. I had a sudden rush of blood to the brain. The magnetic force on the particle only applies if there is a magnetic field present. Reason 1 is fine though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads