For anyone who got straight A*'s at GCSE Watch

FatimaHere
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What was your journey through the two years like? Any struggles? If so, then how did you overcome them? How much did you revise, and how? Any tips for me?

Thanks for replying.
Lavender Brown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't started my GCSE's yet (I will in a month's time when I get my timetable) but my older brother has recently done his and managed quite a few A*, which he got by lots of effort etc. He would revise for at least 5 hours a night for 3 weeks coming up to his exams and around 2 hours for the upcoming months to the exam etc. What he did was read the work about three times until he knew vaguely what it was about then write it down on flash cards and stick it to his bedroom roof (which was quite funny actually but it surprisingly really helped) so that when he lay down he could see the flashcards and read them while he was in bed etc. That's just one thing of the hundreds he did and I am really proud of him he didn't slack in lessons he tried and that's why he got his A* He told me that Geography is really hard and you have to put a lot of effort in so if you are doing Geography you have been warned. Any language is fun he says and Triple Science is fine as long as you are up to date on your work. Good luck!
MNem
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i got straight A*s last year, my greatest advice to you would be, when revising ENGAGE with what you're reading etc. That doesn't mean you have to write it out, just really think about the content, otherwise you will probably be able to regurgitate content in an exam, but when forced to think you will be unpracticed. I don't know if this sounds really obvious haha but i always find my mind drifting into other thoughts when i revise. which aint good. also, less revision is needed if you do good revision. In all honesty i only did REAL revision for about 2-3 weeks before exams, but obviously it paid off... now i have to battle the beast of A levels, which apparently you cant cram for good luck, PM if u need anything else x
studentgal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got straight A* and am now going to study medicine this year, and my BEST advice is to just keep reading the CGP revision guides because they're really good and summarizing the key points and the most important thing to do is to download your subject's specification and make sure you learn all the criteria! That's all I did and it really didn't take much effort to match the specification criteria with what's in the CGP revision guide. For the stress, keep telling yourself that you're not the only one to go through this but millions before you and thousands with you right now. Get as much help from teachers as you can and LEARN THE MARK SCHEMES! Best of luck, wish you all the best!
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What you need to understand is that the examination system is a game. Games have rules and if you play by the rules - as well as having a certain degree of natural talent - then you can win. When it comes to GCSEs, the main thing is to play by the examiners' rules. You don't get marks for writing something inspiring or correct, you get marks for allowing examiners to tick off boxes in the mark scheme. Obviously you need to study the content but it's just as important to go through all the past papers and the examiner's reports to absolutely nail that exam technique.

Intelligence helps but it's not necessary. I am absolutely terrible at English Literature but I got 100% because I studied the mark schemes to death and wrote tons of practice essays and made sure I knew all of the necessary material. For GCSEs, memory is a lot more important than the ability to think.
mcmillanr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got straight 11 A*s (straight), my advice would be to do lots of past papers for every subject. For history/religious studies to save time I just did the questions in note form rather than writing out entire answers. For English I did write a load of full essays, it was a slog but got me there in the end.
Those are all sort of revision tips, for everyday lessons try and understand the concepts but in terms of the knowledge don't worry too much if you can't remember some of the stuff as you can learn it closer to the exams. I found that as long as you understand the logical progression of events in the syllabus then I didn't need to put as much effort into revising at the end.
zooziezoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got straight A*'s two years ago (that makes me feel old...) and I found revision books (CGP mostly) and practice exams the most useful. Although I did have some exams in year 10 (oh the joys of modules!) I didn't start timetabling strict revision until April/May time in Year 11. However I would flick through the revision guides every month or so, just so I didn't forget anything. Revision cards are great, but try and rephrase the same concept in several ways to avoid 'zoning out' when reading over your notes. I think focusing in lessons was what helped me most though - do your best to take in everything the teacher says, especially if they stress a particular point as this means it is probably important for the exam! In the month/weeks directly before your exams, past papers are key. Do as many as you can to familiarise yourself with the layout, and note down any quirks in the mark schemes. Keep a list of word perfect definitions you may be asked in subjects like sciences. Learning the mark scheme really is the best way to prepare once you have a grip of the basic material. Good luck!
FatimaHere
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you all so much for all of the responses, they are really appreciated!!! Although TSR won't let me thumb them up though because I'm not a full member, sorry.

As for the subjects that I'm doing (I utterly adore them all):
Maths- I'm not amazing, but my teacher says that I'm making great progress and thinks that I can definitely get that A*
English Literature
English Language
Geography-which is actually pretty easy
French
Triple Science- I somehow do better in the Unit 2 stuff than the Unit 1... (All A*'s in Unit 2 tests compared to mainly A's in Unit 1 stuff so far) Perhaps it's because of the teacher and class though, because I do the exact same in those lessons that I do for my Unit 2 ones.
Art- my teacher is really happy with me, and I guess my love for English Literature helps when writing my Art History, the Annotations and Analysis' along with the presentations.

I have a revision timetable that follow, do have a Revision Guide for Science and Maths and the Textbooks.
I'm getting the Geography and French Textbooks soon (I was just contemplating).
I always remember to do all of the Exam Style Questions that I have available before tests, and have begun doing Past Papers to get used to them before the summer; where my first Science Exams will be taking place. I also take notes in every lesson for the things that I need to go over, or copy down the handy board tables, ask my teachers to explain anything that I might find hazy to me, and go to all of the After-school (sometimes Lunches too) lessons/ help sessions.

To Revise, I (please say if anything sounds outright wrong):
-Read through things (i.e: my class notes)
-Copy out key points or perfect answers to learn them
-Record my voice and listen back to it
-Read aloud
-Use flashcards
-Make audio tests
-Complete all homework/ tasks available

So far, I've been mainly getting high A*'s and A's with very very very little other grades.
Do you all think that I'm taking the right approach? That I can get 9/9 A*'s?
User1255194
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All about memory! Revise an extra 30-40mins after school on top of homeworks on the things you struggled on during the day. During exam season, revise like a mad man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EmmaBxoxo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just revise really and do all the practice papers. That's what I did.
chocccake123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
im in yr 10 and doing 6 gcses this year. freaked out (
Carrot_Cake_13
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by aishapatel)
im in yr 10 and doing 6 gcses this year. freaked out (
Wow... What are they..? I'm in Yr10 as well and haven't got any. Other than a couple of CA's such as English, French and Citizenship.
Carrot_Cake_13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
my skwls like that, but i get where they r coming frm, makes yr 11 a whole lot relaxed and the main GCSE then is English. this year we r doing: re, urdu, arabic/french, core maths, core science. we're did our languages CA's last year (the writing ones) and english and citizenship we r currently doing. #hardwork
Kinda wish our school did that as well..

Are you doing the Short Course RE? Wow your taking three languages

So your doing modules then for your Science exams and Maths?
chocccake123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
Kinda wish our school did that as well..

Are you doing the Short Course RE? Wow your taking three languages

So your doing modules then for your Science exams and Maths?
no im doing 2 langauges. theres an option between arabic n french. i chose arabic. yes, for maths its linear - so scared and science as well!!!
Carrot_Cake_13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no im doing 2 langauges. theres an option between arabic n french. i chose arabic. yes, for maths its linear - so scared and science as well!!!
Ahh I see.

You should be happy that it's linear but hahah it is scary. Saying that I'll be having 9 Science exams next year as it's - What's the word when it's not linear again
chocccake123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh I see.

You should be happy that it's linear but hahah it is scary. Saying that I'll be having 9 Science exams next year as it's - What's the word when it's not linear again
the words modular (i think). we r havin 3 sciece exams this yr though physics, chemistry and biology. in my opinion, biology is the easiest but thats jst me!!!
Carrot_Cake_13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the words modular (i think). we r havin 3 sciece exams this yr though physics, chemistry and biology. in my opinion, biology is the easiest but thats jst me!!!
For Unit 1? I bloody hate biology. Meh.. Horrible. Horrible. And horrible. Love Chemistry tho

How's the English and Citizenship CA's going for you?
chocccake123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For Unit 1? I bloody hate biology. Meh.. Horrible. Horrible. And horrible. Love Chemistry tho

How's the English and Citizenship CA's going for you?
citizenship we havent exacltly started, but its planned. and english the exam board is AQA so ive done 2. they havent been that bad and we r doing the 3rd one!
Carrot_Cake_13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
citizenship we havent exacltly started, but its planned. and english the exam board is AQA so ive done 2. they havent been that bad and we r doing the 3rd one!
I think were overtaking the thread hahahah... I'll PM yah
Davelittle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got 9 A*'s and the only struggle was realising that you have to put in a little bit of work at home to do well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (6)
9.09%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (5)
7.58%
No, but maybe I will look into it (15)
22.73%
No and I wouldn't consider it (40)
60.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed