The Student Room Group

No tuition loan

Just got my entitlement letter with no tuition fee loan granted but no explanation.
I previously went to university but changed universities after the first year and then withdrew after second year. I did three years in total.

Now 5 years later I am going back having now sorted out my life but have no way of paying £9000 this year. I have no financial support from my parents and no partner. I thought I would get at least 1 years tuition, be able to, including my current savings, pay for second year and the sandwich year and use the sandwich year to save for year 3.

Please can I get an explanation for the no tuition fee? Surely when part of a loan application is denied there should be an explanation?
Hi Harryetty.

Yes, when an application is denied, it's normal practice at student finance to issue an accompanying letter detailing why, so apologies if you have not received this. In your case it appears as though your previous study has caused you to not be eligible for full support. The way this is worked out is as follows:

ordinary duration of course + gift year - previous study = entitlement

so for example, a 4 year course with 3 years previous study would be: 4 + 1 - 3 = 2 years entitlement.

So in this particular scenario, you would be entitled to 2 years of full funding, and it is always the final years we would award, meaning the first 2 years would need to be self-funded. In these first 2 years you would be eligible for a maintenance loan only.

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending