The Student Room Group

Why are black people discouraged to go the top universities?

I am Nigerian, my parents have always told me to aim for the best universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc. Lately, I have noticed that quite a lot black people do not really aim for the top, even though they have the potential to get there. When I ask what university they want to go to, they usually say Coventry, Greenwich and other Mid-ranking universities, they are not bad universities but they have the potential to go to better universities. I know this attitude must be common because Black people are really under-represented in the top universities. I go to comprehensive, but my school is good. So why guys? Am i the only one who has noticed this?

Scroll to see replies

bump
I've never noticed this myself to be honest, maybe they feel they won't fit in? Just a thought.
Maybe the individuals you ask are not capable of getting into Cambridge. Cambridge to Greenwich is a big jump.
I don't think we're discouraged well I haven't noticed anyway, maybe it's our upbringing and our opinion of ourselves such as 'I wouldn't be good enough for Oxbridge etc'. My parents are very much like yours :smile:
Reply 5
Its not about Race buddy, its about how much your family value education.

Even though this was a pranks see how much the dad Valued his education

[video="youtube;2YQY-38ich4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQY-38ich4[/video]

My parents are exactly like yours tho.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by andrew2209
I've never noticed this myself to be honest, maybe they feel they won't fit in? Just a thought.

Yeah, probably. This girl n my school basically said she wants to go to Coventry because there is a lot black people there:confused:
Reply 7
Its not all black people. From what ive seen and heard they expect the ''white'' people are still racist. I dont, my cousin got into cambridge and we are from congo. They just dont work hard enough to get the suitable grades and they should leave the hood life behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Maybe the individuals you ask are not capable of getting into Cambridge. Cambridge to Greenwich is a big jump.

Well yeah, hahaha. Not exactly what i meant
Is it that people who are other than from fee paying schools are discouraged, and most people at fee paying schools are white?
Original post by ennahaspatience
I am Nigerian, my parents have always told me to aim for the best universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc. Lately, I have noticed that quite a lot black people do not really aim for the top, even though they have the potential to get there. When I ask what university they want to go to, they usually say Coventry, Greenwich and other Mid-ranking universities, they are not bad universities but they have the potential to go to better universities. I know this attitude must be common because Black people are really under-represented in the top universities. I go to comprehensive, but my school is good. So why guys? Am i the only one who has noticed this?
what do you expect when a bunch of white ex Etonian men are running the country?
Original post by niceguy95

Their families do value education though. I haven;t noticed that they have been discouraged to go to universities, many do not really have a choice LOL. But they think they are not good enough for the best

Hey, snap with the Nigerian :biggrin: I would say that my family are the same as yours, getting me to aim for the top.
But for a fair few, it's not always possible for them to aim to get there. I've found that not all black families value education as much as some do, so that could be a reason?
They're not discouraged, they're actually encouraged. Universities have big incentives to accept more people from ethnic minority backgrounds. The issue is that the unfortunate fact of the matter is that in Britain, black people tend to be less well off than white people as others have alluded to. And unfortunately, the wealthier you are, the more chances you have in life and in turn the more likely you are to get into a top University.
Many I know feel like they won't fit in. Oxbridge is still dominated by middle-to-upper class white people. There are very few black students. It can be quite an intimidating environment. Combine that with the fact less of them have the top grades and the skills required to get past the interview etc due to the fact they are failed by our education system and you have quite the vicious circle in place.
Original post by niceguy95

Even though this was a pranks see how much the dad Valued his education

[video="youtube;2YQY-38ich4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQY-38ich4[/video]

My parents are exactly like yours tho.

Eman is hilarious, love his videos. If i tried that prank....
Eman is hilarious, love his videos. If i tried that prank....

My dad wouldve beaten me for raising his blood pressure like that, :laugh: that boy got off easy :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Well as a black person you often have folk around you telling you that you have no chance due to you skin so that can be a bit of a motivational crush
Well I disagree with this, generally I see more Africans in University than I do with Carribeans. Even exam results show British Africans are doing better than British Caribbeans in school. Even in my Secondary School, during GCSEs the African kids did better than the Caribbean's kids.
(edited 10 years ago)
some of the universities listed are dominated by blacks. a lot of black people don't (want to) get on with whites; they pick less prestigious universities in order to stay within their social comfort zones.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest