The Student Room Group

You are not a troll if you express a controversial opinion

It is not my fault that other people are so ****ing sensitive and too close-minded to accept any opinion that differs from their own. I'm sick of being labelled as a "troll" just because I have a mind of my own and don't mindlessly conform to what the majority thinks. Just because an opinion is unpopular, it does not make it wrong or trolling.

Scroll to see replies

An opinion, even if controversial, when presented intelligently and rationally is always valid. Trolls tend to put forward thing calculated to cause offense or outrage.

A controversial opinion might outrage or offend me but I'll accept it in the spirit of it being genuine.
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
An opinion, even if controversial, when presented intelligently and rationally is always valid. Trolls tend to put forward thing calculated to cause offense or outrage.

A controversial opinion might outrage or offend me but I'll accept it in the spirit of it being genuine.

Yes, but every single time I present a controversial opinion backed up by my experiences there are always people screaming "troll" and telling me that my opinions aren't genuine. Seriously, who the **** are they to tell me that my opinions aren't my own?
Anything that's funny and little heard-of is considered by the mods to be trolling.
Original post by obscureoutlaw
Anything that's funny and little heard-of is considered by the mods to be trolling.

I'm talking about Facebook too. Though I appreciate the moderators here are a bit crazy.
Sometimes people post things that are so close-minded and lacking in empathy that I wish they were trolls, and I try and consider them as such to protect my faith in humanity.
Original post by The High Priest
Yes, but every single time I present a controversial opinion backed up by my experiences there are always people screaming "troll" and telling me that my opinions aren't genuine. Seriously, who the **** are they to tell me that my opinions aren't my own?

TSR for you. Where half the threads are trolling, a quarter are attention whoring (Am I attractive? Rate My Photo Pleeeeeese!!!) and the remaining intelligent quarter is resoundingly denounced as trolling :tongue:
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Sometimes people post things that are so close-minded and lacking in empathy that I wish they were trolls, and I try and consider them as such to protect my faith in humanity.

Some people are genuinely bigoted and/or not very empathetic. The latter is not necessarily their own fault - there are mental disorders that cause a lack of empathy i.e. sociopathy.
Reply 8
It is not my fault that other people are so ****ing sensitive and too close-minded to accept any opinion that differs from their own. I'm sick of being labelled as a "troll" just because I have a mind of my own and don't mindlessly conform to what the majority thinks. Just because an opinion is unpopular, it does not make it wrong or trolling.

Depends. If it is a justifiable one yes you aren't. However I did see someone post 'rape is good' on here the other day. Cant believe that that was sincere
Lol, you should check out the religion forums. Anyone who dares criticise Islam is either 'trolling' or 'ignorant'.
Original post by hannyfanny
Depends. If it is a justifiable one yes you aren't. However I did see someone post 'rape is good' on here the other day. Cant believe that that was sincere

There will be people out there who genuinely and sincerely hold that opinion though. To label it as "trolling" just because it seems strange/perverted/sick is just oppression of opinion.
Some people are genuinely bigoted and/or not very empathetic. The latter is not necessarily their own fault - there are mental disorders that cause a lack of empathy i.e. sociopathy.

I know. It just makes me sad.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lol, you should check out the religion forums. Anyone who dares criticise Islam is either 'trolling' or 'ignorant'.

The same happened to me on Facebook when I criticised the high prevalence of religion in my area. It isn't trolling to not like something. :rolleyes:
Reply 14
It's an easy way out.

Or the genuinely believe it's a troll.

angryyy?
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I know. It just makes me sad.

Instead of feeling sad you should try helping that person. Sometimes all a damaged person needs is someone to talk to. :smile:
Original post by idontknowbye
angryyy?

Of course I'm angry! My opinions are effectively oppressed simply because they aren't always "conventional".
Reply 18
There will be people out there who genuinely and sincerely hold that opinion though. To label it as "trolling" just because it seems strange/perverted/sick is just oppression of opinion.

Someone who has the opinion that 'rape is good' should probably have that opinion oppressed, there is no place for it. I don't know anyone who has that genuine opinion and refuse to believe someone does as it would give them attention and 'reward', so, yes, when such things come up on the boards, they are intentionally antagonistic and 'trolling'.
Instead of feeling sad you should try helping that person. Sometimes all a damaged person needs is someone to talk to. :smile:

It's kind of hard if someone's saying that gay people are evil and they should choose to be straight instead

Quick Reply

Latest