IAmEchelon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'll be writing my personal statement at the end of this academic year and I was just wondering how to enhance it.

Any ideas for relevant work experience? Wider reading? Anything really,

Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wider reading is better. Work experience isn't necessary for an academic course and it's virtually impossible to get experience with a psychologist anyway
smileyx123x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
Wider reading is better. Work experience isn't necessary for an academic course and it's virtually impossible to get experience with a psychologist anyway

^ pretty much this ! it's really difficult to get work experience under the age of 18, mostly due to confidentiality issues so just focus on maybe some psychologists that you are inspired by and try to be original in your statement. Make it personalized so that the reader understands why you want to study psychology, and anything that got you interested in the first place
IAmEchelon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by smileyx123x)
^ pretty much this ! it's really difficult to get work experience under the age of 18, mostly due to confidentiality issues so just focus on maybe some psychologists that you are inspired by and try to be original in your statement. Make it personalized so that the reader understands why you want to study psychology, and anything that got you interested in the first place
Any ideas on any good books/articles for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pip1309
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IAmEchelon)
Any ideas on any good books/articles for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could sign up to the BPS research digest online, they're really interesting articles. The man who mistook his wife for a hat is an amazing book and I'd recommend reading that. Just look at university reading lists and pick books from there.
bluebeetle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Agree with all of the above. Also, see if you can attend any workshops or lectures run at universities (that are related to psychology), that's what a lot of my friends did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pip1309)
You could sign up to the BPS research digest online, they're really interesting articles. The man who mistook his wife for a hat is an amazing book and I'd recommend reading that. Just look at university reading lists and pick books from there.
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat is interesting, but is very common for people to mention in PSs. It's best to aim for something more unique. See if your college (or a teacher) subscribes to The Psychologist, or see what books are mentioned as key texts in first year for a uni you're interested in (one you think you would be interested in reading anyway). TED talks is another good option
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads