Can a claimant sue if they were not present on the premises? Watch

makemyteapunk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I am preparing for a moot, and I have a little question, which I have been stuck on for a good hour or so. The moot is about the Occupiers' Liability Act 1957. It was about a man, who lent a car to his friend. The friend got lost, and thought to ask for directions; he parked at a property and left the car to go to the house, but the owner ran over the car with his tank shattering it beyond repair (strange, I know).

I am the senior counsel for the respondent, and I was just wondering if the claimant can actually sue even if he was not on the property at the time, and it was only his car that got ran over. If you could provide me with a relevant authority that would also be brilliant. Thanks.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by makemyteapunk)
Hello! I am preparing for a moot, and I have a little question, which I have been stuck on for a good hour or so. The moot is about the Occupiers' Liability Act 1957. It was about a man, who lent a car to his friend. The friend got lost, and thought to ask for directions; he parked at a property and left the car to go to the house, but the owner ran over the car with his tank shattering it beyond repair (strange, I know).

I am the senior counsel for the respondent, and I was just wondering if the claimant can actually sue even if he was not on the property at the time, and it was only his car that got ran over. If you could provide me with a relevant authority that would also be brilliant. Thanks.
Why is this about occupier's liability? Why isn't this about negligent driving of a tank?
applicant2014
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I'm not mistaken, Occupiers' Liability Act 1957 is only relevant to 'visitors' and damages are only recoverable when they happen due to the 'state' of the premise.

Is 'he' a visitor? Is there any express or implied permission given to him? And with regard to his car being ran over by a tank , can this be considered as a kind of damage arises due to the 'state' of the premise?
makemyteapunk
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Why is this about occupier's liability? Why isn't this about negligent driving of a tank?
It's about both. The main point of this moot is for me to prove that the man who entered the premises is not a lawful visitor (hence the Act) and therefore the respondent did not owe duty of care - if I remember correctly, duty of care is not as high for "trespassers" as it is for visitors.
makemyteapunk
Rep:
?
(Original post by applicant2014)
If I'm not mistaken, Occupiers' Liability Act 1957 is only relevant to 'visitors' and damages are only recoverable when they happen due to the 'state' of the premise.

Is 'he' a visitor? Is there any express or implied permission given to him? And with regard to his car being ran over by a tank , can this be considered as a kind of damage arises due to the 'state' of the premise?
I have already looked at authorities and the Act to prove that he was not a lawful visitor. The moot only considers the 1957 Act, rather than the one of 1984, which talks about owing duty of care towards trespassers.

I mentioned that the respondent (tank driver) has no obligation to warn of an obvious risk - the driver would have easily spotted a tank, due to its size and the marks left on the property, if any.

What I'm confused about is how can the claimant sue the tank driver if he wasn't even present during the accident, but it was his car that got ran over. Surely it is his friend's fault (as he lent the car to him) as he was the one that entered the property after getting lost?

If you need more information about the moot then just Google Fussy v Tremens, and it'll come up.
jeffalan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am intrigued what happened with this. I am now junior counsel for the same moot and we are struggling a little!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (182)
61.9%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
4.08%
No- I want it (78)
26.53%
No- I don't want it (22)