SherlockHolmes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is there a test you can use to see if a graph is logarithmic?

For example, to test for an exponential decay graph there is the half-life method.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SherlockHolmes)
Is there a test you can use to see if a graph is logarithmic?

For example, to test for an exponential decay graph there is the half-life method.
If (a,b) is any point on the graph then (a^2, 2b) should also be on the graph ?
SherlockHolmes
Rep:
?
(Original post by brianeverit)
If (a,b) is any point on the graph then (a^2, 2b) should also be on the graph ?
That doesn't seem to work on my graph. Perhaps it would be best if I showed you my data and graph.
Attached files
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That doesn't seem to work on my graph. Perhaps it would be best if I showed you my data and graph.
Well that certainly doesn't look much like a logarithmic graph. It' s almost a straight line
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assuming air resistance is negligible it'd be a straight line, but eventually if you get high enough it will level off (which would be terminal velocity)
SherlockHolmes
Rep:
?
Well that certainly doesn't look much like a logarithmic graph. It' s almost a straight line
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Assuming air resistance is negligible it'd be a straight line, but eventually if you get high enough it will level off (which would be terminal velocity)
The graph is of exit velocity of water from a spouting cylinder against height of water level.

I am meant to analyse this graph but don't really know what to say. I thought at 0.2m and less it is tending towards the origin so assumed it was closer to a log graph than a straight line.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The graph is of exit velocity of water from a spouting cylinder against height of water level.

I am meant to analyse this graph but don't really know what to say. I thought at 0.2m and less it is tending towards the origin so assumed it was closer to a log graph than a straight line.
Well it's like log graph, but at what base.

How many marks for analysis?
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

a log graph does NOT tend to the origin
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can test if a graph is logarithmic by testing coordinates. If the graph is logarithmic, then \frac{log y}{x} will be equal (or close) to a constant for all coordinate sets.
SherlockHolmes
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Well it's like log graph, but at what base.

How many marks for analysis?
5/20 I think.

a log graph does NOT tend to the origin
I meant with transformations (translation, stretch etc).

(Original post by Chlorophile)
You can test if a graph is logarithmic by testing coordinates. If the graph is logarithmic, then \frac{log y}{x} will be equal (or close) to a constant for all coordinate sets.
I see. Then my graph is not logarithmic - thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise