RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys!

I'm Russell and I got my Castle allocation Tuesday and I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we can all talk about our college to be.

So what subject is everyone studying? I'm an Engineer! :cool: Are there any other deferrers? Who is attending the open day?
mariposaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aw hey there your thread is looking pretty lonely.. I'm actually a fresher castleman any questions? Queries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariposaa)
Aw hey there your thread is looking pretty lonely.. I'm actually a fresher castleman any questions? Queries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know :'( dunno if there's a lack of castlemen on TSR, or if I'm just unliked

Yeah I do actually! Mainly to do with accommodation, I heard we'll get a questionnaire or something after our results. Do we get to pick which accommodation block we'd prefer to be assigned? Also do you know if theres anywhere I can find information on what each location (Moatside, Bailey Court, Castle, Owensgate) is like? I was wondering which ones are single which ones are shared, nicest rooms, en suite, how many share a bathroom, wash basins in rooms??? Ahh sorry so many questions

Hehe, how are you finding Castle life?
mariposaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe)
I know :'( dunno if there's a lack of castlemen on TSR, or if I'm just unliked

Yeah I do actually! Mainly to do with accommodation, I heard we'll get a questionnaire or something after our results. Do we get to pick which accommodation block we'd prefer to be assigned? Also do you know if theres anywhere I can find information on what each location (Moatside, Bailey Court, Castle, Owensgate) is like? I was wondering which ones are single which ones are shared, nicest rooms, en suite, how many share a bathroom, wash basins in rooms??? Ahh sorry so many questions

Hehe, how are you finding Castle life?
Sadly you don't get to choose which block you live in. Basically the college allocates shared rooms first, so you'll fill in a questionnaire including questions like whether you're an early bird or night owl, whether you smoke, whether you'd prefer to share with same subject or not if you ended up sharing. One of the questions is whether you'd prefer short let or standard let accommodation (short does not include staying in the holidays but is cheaper). If you'd rather not share I recommend choosing standard as most shared rooms are short let. However all rooms within the castle are short let, so if you choose short you're more likely to be in the castle (that's not to say that you might end up somewhere else with short let, or in choosing standard let end up sharing in a standard let room — it's just unlikely).

All rooms have wash basins.

Moatside is the biggest block and most people end up there. All rooms are single, on my floor we have 18 people and 5 shower rooms (moatside has a few baths dotted about but nobody really uses them). At first it might be slightly disappointing to be allocated here (the rooms are smaller and the building isn't that pretty), but I live here and I honestly wouldn't move even if I were offered a single room in the castle (almost 100% exclusively for finalists and exec). In fact I have friends who moved here from other blocks because they wanted to be in moatside. The reason is, it's very sociable. There is always someone about in the kitchens or with the door to their room open. I live in S block (the biggest) but there are three smaller blocks (P, Q and R) which I think are similar in room size with a few bigger. Out of the whole of moatside I'd say Q is the least nice, just because the rooms are right on the street and so it can be noisy at night (however I think all moatside windows are double glazed so this would only be an issue if you sleep with your window open).

Owengate consists of a few old houses that have been converted to student accommodation. I have only ever been in one of them but I think there are two (the other being much smaller). Owengate is almost exclusively shared rooms (I have a friend who ended up in a room that was meant to be shared but not sharing... Very lucky haha). Not sure how many bathrooms but I've never heard anyone complain. Owengate has the only fully functioning kitchen (ie oven, hob, fridge/freezer, sink, pots and pans rather than just toaster, kettle, fridge, sink everywhere else) which everyone is allowed to use, and a nice sitting bit with sofas. Owengate is nice and cosy but if you prefer to have lots of people around it can be a bit lonely I think.

Bailey court is another block of rooms but the rooms are much bigger than moatside. However most of bailey court is occupied by Hatfield, and then a lot of finalists choose to live there too because the rooms are big and not shared. Bailey court is quite sociable though ( I think something like 7 rooms on a floor but not sure) and they make the most of big rooms by hosting a lot. Also Bailey court has the laundry facilities (for use by everyone but it's handy if you just live up the stairs).

26 North Bailey is kind of forgotten about. It's further up the bailey (past chad's and I think even john's). The rooms are big but not many people live there. I've never been in to be honest, people who live there tend to come to visit people in moatside/bailey court/owengate etc rather than the other way round.

The castle. Obviously the main attraction of the college! Rooms in the castle are all shared, usually with ensuite shower/sink room (tiny, wouldn't really class it as a room). There are two rooms in the gatehouse (literally above the gate) which is a great spot for spying on people hehe, but you do get the racket of the bin men in the morning. Also only 4 people live there so maybe a bit boring? I dunno. The Keep is the main accommodation of the castle, with lots of finalists and MCR but also a strong fresher community that tend to stick together. There are also rooms in other places in the castle (a few that are almost underground which is weird) but I haven't been in most of them. Castle inhabitants tend to be more nerdy although there are a few sports fanatics dotted about too.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about where you end up. Once you move in your stuff it will feel like home, and if you do end up sharing and don't get on with your roommate, after two weeks you can choose to move to a different room (you can also move if you hate hate hate your room or if there is something wrong with it, as long as there is an available room. Bare in mind that moving rooms will probably result in living in moatside).

Hope this is helpful feel free to ask any more questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mariposaa)
Sadly you don't get to choose which block you live in....

Hope this is helpful feel free to ask any more questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow thanks, I didn't expect such a long response! But I think I might choose to share anyway, sounds quite fun and it's an instant first friend anyway.

I was wondering about term time jobs, based on my loan and income, I think I'll probably have to get one. I heard you can get jobs around college, like in the bar and stuff. Do many people do that, is it hard to get a college job? If not where else do people work?
mariposaa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe)
Wow thanks, I didn't expect such a long response! But I think I might choose to share anyway, sounds quite fun and it's an instant first friend anyway.

I was wondering about term time jobs, based on my loan and income, I think I'll probably have to get one. I heard you can get jobs around college, like in the bar and stuff. Do many people do that, is it hard to get a college job? If not where else do people work?
Yep, college jobs are bar, toastie bar and security. Loads of people apply though and it helps to be friends with the people on bar or security before you apply because it's a lot about who you would rather share shifts with and go on socials with etc. Apart from that I know that some students apply to be tour guides (unrelated to college) but apparently these jobs are quite competitive too. Not many people have a part time job, especially those with more intense courses. We don't really have to pay for much seeing as food is paid for, so as long as you have enough to cover accommodation and some spending money per term you should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mitchpne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Guys! i got allocated the castle a few weeks ago and cant wait to meet so many new people and get involved in everything its got to offer and see what castle is like, ive done alot of research and seems we've been allocated the best college at durham. The only thing im unsure about is sharing a room.. i dont know whats this is like if its a good option or not? does everyone want to share rooms or not? is it better to just be on your own?

Thanks guys

When do you all start and what are you studdying?
Im a sports student.
RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mitchpne)
Hey Guys! i got allocated the castle a few weeks ago and cant wait to meet so many new people and get involved in everything its got to offer and see what castle is like, ive done alot of research and seems we've been allocated the best college at durham. The only thing im unsure about is sharing a room.. i dont know whats this is like if its a good option or not? does everyone want to share rooms or not? is it better to just be on your own?

Thanks guys

When do you all start and what are you studdying?
Im a sports student.
Hey, I'm not starting for a year and a half yet, but Engineering for me

Personally I quite like the idea of sharing, it's a no effort first friend after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise