Reputation in Europe: Bath v Bristol v Durham v Strathclyde v St Andrews (Finance) Watch

GSAA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm a European student and will return to my home country after completing my MSc. I have offers for the following programmes:

Bath, MSc Finance
Bristol, MSc Finance and Investment
Durham, MSc Finance
Strathclyde, MSc Finance
St Andrews, Msc Finance

I'm leaning towards Strathclyde because it's the best business school in Scotland and better ranked than Cambridge and LSE (Financial Times).

Do these unis have strong differences regarding European reputation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Business faculty (not parent uni's brand) of aforementioned unis:

Bristol/ Bath/ Strathclyde (depending on concentration) > Durham/St Andrews

Bristol has only small B-School with few concentrations, but Finance, Accounting and econ are strong and well regarded.

Bath has a larger well balanced BSchool and as a Technical Uni, it is strong in analytical subjects such as OR, business analysis and Comp. Good exchange networks and dual programmes with other Euro unis. Good student satisfaction and its 4 year Business BA offers the 1 year internship option with partner firms. So business & engineering grads choose career concentration and achieve very high employment rates upon graduation. Strong cooperation with the industry. Tech firms like R&R, BAe dig Bath.

Strathclyde earns high marks for ROI, affordable tuition for home students and innovative multi-learning platform (lecture, case, group based projects, real life consulting assignment and experimental learning). Good student satisfaction and good review for marketing, finance, acc, OR, HRM. It offers depth and width.

Durham and St Andrews are known for good traditional unis, BUT business is not the strongest discipline and the faculty is kinda small with few electives available. Both unis are better known for other subjects.
GSAA
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
Business faculty (not parent uni's brand) of aforementioned unis:

Bristol/ Bath/ Strathclyde (depending on concentration) > Durham/St Andrews

Bristol has only small B-School with few concentrations, but Finance, Accounting and econ are strong and well regarded.

Bath has a larger well balanced BSchool and as a Technical Uni, it is strong in analytical subjects such as OR, business analysis and Comp. Good exchange networks and dual programmes with other Euro unis. Good student satisfaction and its 4 year Business BA offers the 1 year internship option with partner firms. So business & engineering grads choose career concentration and achieve very high employment rates upon graduation. Strong cooperation with the industry. Tech firms like R&R, BAe dig Bath.

Strathclyde earns high marks for ROI, affordable tuition for home students and innovative multi-learning platform (lecture, case, group based projects, real life consulting assignment and experimental learning). Good student satisfaction and good review for marketing, finance, acc, OR, HRM. It offers depth and width.

Durham and St Andrews are known for good traditional unis, BUT business is not the strongest discipline and the faculty is kinda small with few electives available. Both unis are better known for other subjects.
Great info, thanks!

You mentioned Bath's BA, but I've got MSc Finance offers. I will soon complete my BSc Economics degree in the UK, After my MSc I am aiming to work as a banker in my home country.

Based on this, would you be able to pick one uni out of Bath/Bristol/Strathclyde which you would recommend?

My Bristol offer is conditional on a First; for the others I only need a 2:1. This suggests that Bristol may be most prestigious out of these unis in the finance field; would you agree with this?

Thanks.
goldmansachs2014
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol better ranked than LSE and Imperial? You are seriously deluded.
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't say it for your country, but for the UK it would be:

Bristol may have slightly better career placement for its MSc Fin and Econ courses as this is its bread and butter, it does not cover MSc marketing, logistics or HRM. It has quant and analytical reputation and covers core modules (CF, quant Fin, Fin analysis, accounting, risk, investment, portfolio strategy). But it may not cover much sales & trading, M&A, wealth though and I think its MScFin does not cover CFA exam syllabi like Warwick's MSc Fin. You need to check the career report and job opps of grads, this should give you an idea where grads end up working. I recall a number of City firms hiring from Bri. I heard that its Msc courses are popular with Asian applicants as uni does lots of marketing overseas and hence the higher entry requirements.

Bath better in technical areas. For banking & fin, bath grads work in risk, business analysis, operations or join general 2 year trainee programmes with banks. What I told you about its BA applies to MSc: good partnership with recruiters, putting theory into practice, plenty electives and student satisfaction.
GSAA
Rep:
?
"goldmansachs2014": Better than Cambridge and LSE. See "Financial Times European Business School Rankings 2013".

"Tcannon": Thanks again for great info!
skylarkcm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I have an offer for MSc Finance from Strathclyde too.
arpanm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there, I got an offer from strathclyde, exeter, bristol and kent for Msc Accounting and Finance. Which of these would you suggest is a better option??
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GSAA)
Hi,

I'm a European student and will return to my home country after completing my MSc. I have offers for the following programmes:

Bath, MSc Finance
Bristol, MSc Finance and Investment
Durham, MSc Finance
Strathclyde, MSc Finance
St Andrews, Msc Finance

I'm leaning towards Strathclyde because it's the best business school in Scotland and better ranked than Cambridge and LSE (Financial Times).

Do these unis have strong differences regarding European reputation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
What is your background?
e.g. MSc Finance and Investment Bristol is a course that is aimed at students with only a small amount of prior finance or economics knowledge.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/efm/courses...fininvest.html
e.g. what current econometrics experience do you have?
so confused!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

I have the following offers:

Nottingham: Msc Finance and Investments
Aston: Msc Accounting and Finance

I don't know much about UK universities.
Are these good?
Should I accept the offer?
If yes, then between the two universities, which one is better?

Please help!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%