User264792
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone,
I'm a History UG thinking about taking a postgrad course at the Royal Holloway. My current university has a beautiful library which has been amazing throughout the three years I've needed to use it. I was just wondering how good the libraries at Royal Holloway are? I've heard some worries about not enough space, and some of the pictures I've seen seem to show a super social zone, which may not be ideal for serious PG study. I've heard worrying anecdotes about having to study on a ledge due to lack of space etc. How has everyone found the Royal Holloway libraries?
swarfliam
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Space is sometimes an issue, but as for the social bit, don't worry. There are different floors with different levels of noise allowed (including silent)
User264792
Rep:
?
Oh right, that sounds like my kind of thing. I was a bit concerned that the library would be like a massive café. Thanks for the information.
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are two main libraries at Holloway (though there's plans for a new library). The one in Founder's is silent study only and, outside of exam season, it's usually possible to find somewhere to sit and study there. Bedford Library is quite large and, as swarfliam said, there are different areas for different levels of noise: the ground floor is social study, the basement is quiet study, and the top floor is silent study.

It does get very busy especially during certain times of year which can be a bit of a pain, and this is why they're building a new library soon. But for now the facilities aren't bad at all, and the opening hours are very decent too. Plus Founder's library is a beautiful and peaceful place to work, very Harry Potter-esque, which always helps with motivation, I find!

If you were to ever be in a position where the libraries are completely packed, there's an alternative in the form of several computer centres on site which are open 24 hours and tend to be less busy.
User264792
Rep:
?
Oh, right, it's good that there's the computer centres as well as the libraries. That should be useful for those packed-out times. I agree that Founder's looks lovely, from what I've seen on google images. I think seeing it for myself is important though; must get a visit day organised. Thanks all for information!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (606)
33.87%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (749)
41.87%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (354)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed