French
History

BLOCK 2
Religious Education
Triple Science

BLOCK 3
Geography or Media Studies*
Statistics

*I want to do both and all the other options in block three are not my style. e.g Engineering and Art. I refuse to substitute Statistics.
I want to study Law with French Law at Oxford University so....
Help Pleas
MNem
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
geography is more respected i think, however unfair that may be media always seems to be depicted as 'soft' (im not saying it is, i didnt do either of those subjects...). but you're other options do seem highly academic, so maybe if you think you'll need a break go with media. this wasn't very helpful was it....sorry...
ellawhite4686
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
geography is a far better respected subject, although if you have other strong subjects, doing a soft option such as media shouldnt make too much difference. seeing as you are aiming highly i would go for geography !
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography is easy to get a high grade in, as is Media if you just do the work- but Geography is much more highly respected.
GoldGhost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ultimately do what you would like. However, from what I have seen geography is by far more respected than media studies.
bobbricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography is better respected, and it was very enjoyable, so I would recommend that (although I might be biased since I did it :P)
MidnightDream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography is more respected but seeing as you do have other facilitating subjects, taking media wouldn't restrict any options you have later on like in a level etc (unless you want to take geo) ultimately do what you like best
Lavender Brown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GIfO Oxford is part of the "Russell Group" Universities (the top universities group if you wish) and they have branded Media Studies as a 'Soft Subject' which you can say is unfair because I'm sure all GCSE Subjects are hard etc. but they would see it as an "easy GCSE". Geography however, is one of the top 5 major GCSE Subjects which are the following; 1. Maths 2. English Lit and Language 3. A language 4. Triple Science and 5. A humanity (History or Geography. So Geography would be the best in my opinion to help your dream. Good luck! I hope you do well
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MNem)
geography is more respected i think, however unfair that may be media always seems to be depicted as 'soft' (im not saying it is, i didnt do either of those subjects...). but you're other options do seem highly academic, so maybe if you think you'll need a break go with media. this wasn't very helpful was it....sorry...
(Original post by ellawhite4686)
geography is a far better respected subject, although if you have other strong subjects, doing a soft option such as media shouldnt make too much difference. seeing as you are aiming highly i would go for geography !
(Original post by PhysicsKid)
Geography is easy to get a high grade in, as is Media if you just do the work- but Geography is much more highly respected.
(Original post by GoldGhost)
Ultimately do what you would like. However, from what I have seen geography is by far more respected than media studies.
(Original post by bobbricks)
Geography is better respected, and it was very enjoyable, so I would recommend that (although I might be biased since I did it :P)
(Original post by MidnightDream)
Geography is more respected but seeing as you do have other facilitating subjects, taking media wouldn't restrict any options you have later on like in a level etc (unless you want to take geo) ultimately do what you like best
I think Geography is the bet option. I love all my other subjects to death so trying it might not be to bad

(Original post by Lavender Brown)
GIfO Oxford is part of the "Russell Group" Universities (the top universities group if you wish) and they have branded Media Studies as a 'Soft Subject' which you can say is unfair because I'm sure all GCSE Subjects are hard etc. but they would see it as an "easy GCSE". Geography however, is one of the top 5 major GCSE Subjects which are the following; 1. Maths 2. English Lit and Language 3. A language 4. Triple Science and 5. A humanity (History or Geography. So Geography would be the best in my opinion to help your dream. Good luck! I hope you do well
Geography it is then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads