The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey vs Southampton

I've applied to do children's nursing, and am completely torn between Southampton and Surrey. I have been lucky enough to have had an offer from both, I wondered if anyone would be able to answer any of these questions to help with the choice!
-What is the placement radius and accessibility to them?
-Are electives offered at both unis?
-Is having a car recommended and is there parking?
-Any experience on either?
-Living costs?
-Opportunities to do sport or other activities?

Thank you!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Honeymay
I've applied to do children's nursing, and am completely torn between Southampton and Surrey. I have been lucky enough to have had an offer from both, I wondered if anyone would be able to answer any of these questions to help with the choice!
-What is the placement radius and accessibility to them?
-Are electives offered at both unis?
-Is having a car recommended and is there parking?
-Any experience on either?
-Living costs?
-Opportunities to do sport or other activities?

Thank you!!

Hi, congratulations on your offers and I'll start by saying if you choose surrey we will be on the same course :smile: I have been to both unis and after having my mind set on Southampton, have chosen surrey. I can't answer all of the questions but as far as I know the elective placement is only offered at surrey. I also chose surrey because the simulation suite is much better and from talking to students at both you get a lot more time in surrey's. I also love that at surrey while you are on placement you don't have any assignments to worry about. I couldn't imagine doing a 12 hour shift and worrying about doing coursework on top of that. With regards to sport, surrey has a huge sport park not sure how it compares to Southampton but here's a link to their website http://www.surreysportspark.co.uk

good luck with your decision, it's not an easy one :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Original post by Dawn1234
Hi, congratulations on your offers and I'll start by saying if you choose surrey we will be on the same course :smile: I have been to both unis and after having my mind set on Southampton, have chosen surrey. I can't answer all of the questions but as far as I know the elective placement is only offered at surrey. I also chose surrey because the simulation suite is much better and from talking to students at both you get a lot more time in surrey's. I also love that at surrey while you are on placement you don't have any assignments to worry about. I couldn't imagine doing a 12 hour shift and worrying about doing coursework on top of that. With regards to sport, surrey has a huge sport park not sure how it compares to Southampton but here's a link to their website http://www.surreysportspark.co.uk

good luck with your decision, it's not an easy one :smile:

Thank you! :smile: this has helped. It's such a tricky choice because it will be home for at least the next 3 years! Very excited though :smile: have you done your firm and insurance yet?
Reply 3
Thank you! :smile: this has helped. It's such a tricky choice because it will be home for at least the next 3 years! Very excited though :smile: have you done your firm and insurance yet?

Yea I know what you mean, it's a huge decision. No.. been putting it off a little because I'm scared if withdrawing from my other options! I know surrey will be my firm and bournemouth my insurance its just very final clicking the button
Reply 4
Yea I know what you mean, it's a huge decision. No.. been putting it off a little because I'm scared if withdrawing from my other options! I know surrey will be my firm and bournemouth my insurance its just very final clicking the button

It does all seem final and real once you select them! Where are you from?
Reply 5
It does all seem final and real once you select them! Where are you from?

I'm from Portsmouth, what about you? Are you any closer to making a decision?
Reply 6
I'm from Portsmouth, what about you? Are you any closer to making a decision?

Not too far then is it? I'm from Cornwall. Swaying towards Surrey :smile:
Reply 7
Not too far then is it? I'm from Cornwall. Swaying towards Surrey :smile:

When traffic is good its around 40mins so I will be living at home. :smile: did you only apply for surrey and southampton or were there a few others?
Reply 8
When traffic is good its around 40mins so I will be living at home. :smile: did you only apply for surrey and southampton or were there a few others?

That's okay then :smile: also applied to Cardiff, uwe and Oxford Brookes. What about you?
Reply 9
That's okay then :smile: also applied to Cardiff, uwe and Oxford Brookes. What about you?

Southampton (dual field and child branch), bournemouth and surrey. Are you busy doing a levels at the moment? I finished an access course last year so I'm glad I don't have to worry about studying while preparing for interviews and figuring out student finance forms!
Reply 10
Southampton (dual field and child branch), bournemouth and surrey. Are you busy doing a levels at the moment? I finished an access course last year so I'm glad I don't have to worry about studying while preparing for interviews and figuring out student finance forms!

Ah okay, was thinking about applying for the dual field. I'm doing a health studies diploma at the moment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending