Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Make Physical education within schools more useful

This petition...

PE within schools tends to focus on gender biased sports which are essentially useless. knowing how to kick a ball into a net is never going to help you in life. so school PE lessons should focus on sports that can save your life. E.g. swimming, archery, javelin, running, rowing. instead of football, rugby, netball & hockey which although they are good sports have no actual benefits.

Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The benefits of team sport are enormous, actually.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Javelin presumably helps you to spear a fish I guess?
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, let's just remove the UK from all team sporting competitions then.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Okay, let's just remove the UK from all team sporting competitions then.

I'm not saying that team sports are bad but we have countless hundreds of people dying each year from drowning ect. that sports that will help you survive in dangerous situations are better.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes obviously what we need here is a feminist or gay agenda not team sports.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure we all appreciate your enthusiasm with these petitions but you really need to think them through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely netball is a vaiuable life skill for women in teaching them how to stand still for more than one second? Rowing in fighting elitism?
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope I enjoyed a good game of football at school, it was fun and kept me fit. Much more interesting than those alternatives listed.

Plus its not practical anyway, how many schools would be able to take part in swimming and rowing? I wouldn't trust some with archery either to be fair. Also we did lots of running anyway
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm not saying that team sports are bad but we have countless hundreds of people dying each year from drowning ect. that sports that will help you survive in dangerous situations are better.
Swimming I'd agree with promoting more of (expensive for the schools however)

As for what other sports? Boxing for instance? I just can't see the need, how many people would be saved by adding an extra 1 hour every week to javelin training?
Fizzel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The point of PE is not to save your life. As said team sports are very useful.
Handles
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm all for integrating the genders in PE more (e.g. encouraging boys to do hockey, encouraging girls to do football), but it's far better to focus on team sports than individual sports. Anyway, archery, javelin, and rowing won't actually be that useful - the Hunger Games doesn't actually exist!
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Frankly as someone that does a lot of swimming, the amount of people in my P.E group that couldn't swim was shocking. Would be a much more valuable team sport to do something like water polo than football
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Overall Aye. I could support an expansion of swimmimg throughout secondary school, and basic boxing/martial arts as a friendly, fun way to learn defence skills. Not too sure about archery, but rowing can be done in a gym, which I will argue in favour of later on.

I would agree that there should be less focus on team sports. Those who want to do them can, but as happens in my school when you reach Year 10, you should have options of a number of different activities e.g. dance/gym&fitness in addition to sports to do during the 2 hours of PE a week.

Just because you don't like sport, that should not discourage you from doing PE as the gym option has shown me; instilling an interest in health and fitness which was being supressed by dull and repetitive compulsory playing of football etc in earlier years.
123formyabc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how is archery going to save your life?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

This petition...

PE within schools tends to focus on gender biased sports which are essentially useless. knowing how to kick a ball into a net is never going to help you in life. so school PE lessons should focus on sports that can save your life. E.g. swimming, archery, javelin, running, rowing. instead of football, rugby, netball & hockey which although they are good sports have no actual benefits.

While i do think the current range of sports is limited somewhat and i see your point i think it more important that physical education serves the purpose of provided a mechanism for rigorous exercise and while i'm not a massive fan of team sports generally they do provide benefit. I do believe there should be more individual sport though, tennis when done properly can be incredibly demanding physically (granted you have to copy the Nadal playing style of long rallies).
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like football and rugby so no
miser
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May as well be a petition to replace PE with bushcraft.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think a rounded PE curriculum is best. Fitness and nutrition should be fundamental basics, with optional sports included on top.

Schools should be prevented from selling their playing fields, and we need long-term investment in PE to reduce obesity and encourage good health for all.
idontknowbye
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why would you want this? PE is the worst, you must be one of those fitness fanatics ew
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads