The Student Room Group

Alternative Offer

Hey guys!

I'm sort of confused and I was hoping a couple of people could give me insight on what the best action to take might be.
I am absolutely in love with Law and have been since I was little, everything up till this moment has been to become a lawyer.
Unfortunately last year I didn't do as great as I wished in my AS Level A CC D (yeah i know- sucks) but at the minute my predicted grades are A*AB as a result this had a detrimental effect on my applications to university.

Applied to LSE (-rejected), Queen Mary's University of London (pending) , Nottingham Trent (offer), University of Kent (offer) and University of Nottingham(alternative offer).
Uni of Nottingham was the one I really wanted to get into because its not too far away from home, it's not too expensive to live in and it has a good reputation. Nottingham rejected me for Law but offered me a place in Sociology which I know VERY LITTLE ABOUT - but from the research that I have done it seems as though sociology is more to do with the theory and the research behind human rights as opposed to where the changes are made like in International Relations and in Law? Is it right for me to take a course that I didn't really want in the beginning because of the University?
If Queen Mary's were to accept me for Law, I think that would be my firm offer but at the moment I'm conflicted.
Which university do you think is best to go to for Law and for an athlete as I play tennis competitively?
I'm looking for the best opportunities within the UK and abroad.
If you're that keen on Law then you must do it at university, what you could do it somehow get into The University of Nottingham via a different route such as adjustment or clearing, or you could even take a gap year and reapply a year later. Sorry if this wasn't much help I'm sure someone else can give better advice in a bit.
Original post by lisashoxx

Applied to LSE (-rejected), Queen Mary's University of London (pending) , Nottingham Trent (offer), University of Kent (offer) and University of Nottingham(alternative offer).
Uni of Nottingham was the one I really wanted to get into because its not too far away from home, it's not too expensive to live in and it has a good reputation. Nottingham rejected me for Law but offered me a place in Sociology which I know VERY LITTLE ABOUT - but from the research that I have done it seems as though sociology is more to do with the theory and the research behind human rights as opposed to where the changes are made like in International Relations and in Law? Is it right for me to take a course that I didn't really want in the beginning because of the University?
If Queen Mary's were to accept me for Law, I think that would be my firm offer but at the moment I'm conflicted.
Which university do you think is best to go to for Law and for an athlete as I play tennis competitively?
I'm looking for the best opportunities within the UK and abroad.

Don't get dragooned into a course that Nottingham is struggling to fill if you have no interest in it.

The facilities for tennis in the City of Nottingham are surprisingly second to none.

Is your Kent offer AAB or ABB?
Reply 3
Original post by nulli tertius
Don't get dragooned into a course that Nottingham is struggling to fill if you have no interest in it.

The facilities for tennis in the City of Nottingham are surprisingly second to none.

Is your Kent offer AAB or ABB?

So do you think that I should take Nottingham Trent perhaps to meet both my interests?
Do you happen to live in Nottingham by any chance ?
It's AAB
Reply 4
Original post by RSmith1007
If you're that keen on Law then you must do it at university, what you could do it somehow get into The University of Nottingham via a different route such as adjustment or clearing, or you could even take a gap year and reapply a year later. Sorry if this wasn't much help I'm sure someone else can give better advice in a bit.

I'm still trying to get my head around the clearing thing, do the universities reserve places on a course for Clearing? Or is this when some students choose not to pick the university and this is how there are places left over? I've never heard of adjustment... So I'll be looking that up, cheers for the ideas though.
I'm still trying to get my head around the clearing thing, do the universities reserve places on a course for Clearing? Or is this when some students choose not to pick the university and this is how there are places left over? I've never heard of adjustment... So I'll be looking that up, cheers for the ideas though.

No, they don't reserve places for clearing. Clearing is like the sales - they've overstocked on courses no one wants, or alternatively, those who were offered it didn't firm it or didn't make the grades. Adjustment is only open to those who meet and exceed their firm offer. There are no lists of places in adjustment - you'd have to phone up a university and ask if they were entering into adjustment and if so, for what. It's still a VERY minority route into university.

You absolutely shouldn't do sociology if you have no interest in it.
So do you think that I should take Nottingham Trent perhaps to meet both my interests?
Do you happen to live in Nottingham by any chance ?
It's AAB

I would take Kent (if you do not get a QMUL offer). It is an unfashionable university on these pages.

It does law differently. It is the UK home of a movement called critical legal studies. It is consistently one of the strongest universities for legal research. http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2008/dec/18/rae-results-2008-law-degree

I have no idea what its tennis facilities are like.

I was brought up in Nottingham. I went to the Fed Cup when it was held in Nottingham many years ago.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest